Never work with dogs, unless you have a chew handy!

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I got some feedback on my folio yesterday, saying I needed some more studio shots. Well, I dont have access to a studio, so I took this photo of my dog Ben last night with a few small lamps, and a couple of chewies to keep his attention! No tweaks yet. What do you reckon.

img014Medium.jpg

It looks slightly soft around the eyes. A good sharp focus will really help on those. I would also consider the framing, as you have cut off the right ear. Hope that helps.

I reckon a person would sit stiller and be easier to get a good focus on! Believe it or not, thats the photo with sharpest eyes out of about 12 I took!

Too much energy for one dog!

Hi Mike

Looks like you've chopped his left ear out, which unless you've down for artistic purposes is something to keep an eye on when framing.

It looks a little soft to me and I'm not sure if the focus is on the eyes?

In terms of background prob best to move the chair out of the way next time.

Lastly looks like he is not looking at the camera - sometimes that's good but not sure if that was your intention?

I know nothing about lighting or portraits so I'll leave it there!

Good luck

Al

The focus was supposed to be on the eyes, but hes full of beans, and kept shifting.

I couldnt move the chair, he was sitting on it! =p

It was my intention to have him looking away from and above the camera.

Cheers!

Not sharp enough. Looking at the EXIF data for the image, it is shot at f2.5, 1/15s, ISO 250 no flash. If it were me, with no flash you need to turn the ISO way up indoors (ie 800 or above) in order to get a decent shutter speed... at 1/15 its no wonder its not sharp - even if you hold the camera perfectly still (ie use a tripod) chances are the dog moving will make the image soft like this. I would have thought you want to be at at least 1/125 but thats going to be really high ISO (2000) - you may have to compromise and get shutter as high as you can for a reasonable ISO. Maybe try ISO 1600?

Also would be better if he were looking into the lens and his ear wasn't chopped off! Give the shot another go and post the results in this thread.

Last edited:
Back