new 50mm f1.4 questions

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I got a Nikon 50mm f1.4 for my birthday, as the depth of field is so thin, when focusing on eyes which should be in focus - closest or farthest (if the subject is slightly side on to the camera..)

Also, I've only got a D40x so it won't autofocus. Any tips on how to ensure I get the focus in the right area? My first attempts have been naff!

When you look through the viewfinder twist the lens and when you are on focus a little green light will appear in the lower left corner.

or swap it for my 1.8 ;)

can you move the focus point on to the eye then manually focus until the light comes on?

Can't you take it back/swap/flog it, there's a new 50 1.4 af/s due out shortly, that will af on a D40...

Well you learn something new every day! I have all sorts of issues focusing my nifty fifty - never noticed that the green light comes on when its focused!!!

Do what everyone says about focusing, but keep the glass - it's top notch. Sell the D40x and buy a D80 (or90). Or D200 or 300....

Thanks for the replies, the green light is the answer! Works a treat (y)

Not as big a lens as I imagined, not sure why I thought it would be a bigger diameter, seems really good though. Some interesting shots at f1.4!

I'd like a D300 one day, maybe next year :)

I got a Nikon 50mm f1.4 for my birthday, as the depth of field is so thin, when focusing on eyes which should be in focus - closest or farthest (if the subject is slightly side on to the camera..)

Also, I've only got a D40x so it won't autofocus. Any tips on how to ensure I get the focus in the right area? My first attempts have been naff!

Thank you for asking this question.

When you look through the viewfinder twist the lens and when you are on focus a little green light will appear in the lower left corner.

Thanks

I bought a really nice Nikon AI-S 85mm f2.0 lens a few weeks ago and had been having serious problems trying to get a focus. The pictures that were in focus have been great but most have been out of focus. Its really hard to get it into focus using the view finder and screen. This is a top tip on my D200, set to continuous focus, press the shutter half way to bring up the in view finder display and then watch for the little green dot. Excellent

:ty:

Back