New 7D (& 24-105) Owner (Size compared to 350D)

Name
Douglas
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, just picked up my new 7D today + 24-105mm IS F4L Lens today!

I was so excited to get it, and to be fair it's a bit more than i was expecting to get. I originally set out a couple weeks ago to get a 550D; a nice modern equivalent of my 350D which i've been using for a few years now and have got to grip with a lot of the features. One of my main reasons for upgrading was because i really wanted to get into videography and the 550D seemed to be giving good results. However someone offered me a deal on a 7D & Canon's 24-105mm lens i just couldn't resist. I was amazed at the quality compared to my old 350D. The weight, the size and the just solidness of it made me wonder how i could of been using the 350D for so long! I took a quick comparison picture on my phone of the two, and a picture of the 7D + lens. I'll be sure to update with some proper pictures soon :).

Thanks
Douglas

6832716651_ec0955ec87.jpg

6832795491_27853eae2c.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you're liking it Douglas.

Cameras are funny things in the hand and it's amazing how quickly you adapt to the feel and dimensions - I was using a 7D a few weeks ago and whilst it's going to feel a lot larger and more solid than your 350D it felt like a wee toy as I'd been using 1D2 / 4 bodies at the time.

There was somebody on here recently that had a camera body comparison site - I'll look it out....

I went from a 450D to a 7D and similarly to you I can't believe I used to think it felt really solid and well built, where now it feels like a cheap toy! Still, I find the 7D a bit heavy for just wandering with it around the neck, still do it though, I'm addicted to its quality

Nice upgrade. Like Digitalize, I also moved from a 450D to a 7D and whilst a lot of folk advise glass upgrades, I think it was the upgrade to the 7D that improved my photography the most. I especially like the ease with which you can change focus point, I like the mode dial customisation (E.g I assign mirror lockup and other settings related to macro to C1, have C2 set so I can quickly change from RAW to JPEG etc) and I like the auto ISO feature so I can focus on aperture and shutter speed.
Enjoy your new upgrade.

I went from a 450d to a 7d I found it a little difficult to start with because I kept on trying to look at the screen on the back of the camera when making changes but after I got over that it was cool. The autofocus is amazing. I have a custom function setup with all my video settings & another one for bracketing. The 24-105 is cracking but I do find it a little long so bought myself a 10-20 recently now I tend to use that and my 70-200 but that now feels a little short. Never happy :)

I also moved from a 350D to a 7D a couple of years ago, and yes a big difference in size, weight, and capabilities. However I still find the 350D great for a nice light capable camera for odd occasions.

Thanks everyone! Yeah I agree with all of you, seems everyone shares a simila experience :). In regards to the new glass, when I was using the 350D I got a 70-200 f4, and a little nifty fifty, but I agree whenever I need wide I need to go back to the old kit lens do I think in the future something like the 10-20 will be in order. I'm going to take a look at it again tonight and try and setup a few of the custom functions for what I need just now.

I think I'll be keeping the 350D for more casual shooting because it a lot smaller, lighter and still packs a great punch when needed!

Thanks again
Dougie

Last edited:
Nice one Douglas. I went from a 550D to a 7D and then added the 5D2 with the kit lens 24-105 f4 L. The lens spends about as much time on my 7D as it does my 5D2. Probably be more on the 7D when I get my 70-200 2.8 IS L as I think for general walkabout lenses they will be my go to pairing. Only on trips will they be replaced by my 100-400 L and my sigma 150-500 OS.

Back