New 7D or 2nd hand 5D mark II?

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
As title suggests need a hand. Don't know which to go for. Is full frame such a game changer?! Do I buy now or wait for Photokina next month to see if anything new appears (possible entry ff dslr?!)

And...begin...

What do you take photos of and what lenses do you have?

I had the same dilemma and went with a 7d and don't regret it at all, both cameras are awesome but in the end my decision was based on price if I did not have a budget I would have gone ff but I don't regret the 7d.

Not much help I know but I'm sure there are plenty on here that have owned both.

Both are within budget. As for lenses I will be getting a 24-105 L with whichever one I buy. I already have the kit lens which came with my 400d and a Tamron 70-300 which will go with the 400d to my brother and will leave me with the Sigma 50mm f1.4.
I don't shoot any one thing in particular. Am a keen amateur enjoy shooting everything from weddings to walks on the beach.

5D2 because you didn't mention wildlife first ;) and those lenses will be great on it.

craiglamb said:
Both are within budget. As for lenses I will be getting a 24-105 L with whichever one I buy. I already have the kit lens which came with my 400d and a Tamron 70-300 which will go with the 400d to my brother and will leave me with the Sigma 50mm f1.4.
I don't shoot any one thing in particular. Am a keen amateur enjoy shooting everything from weddings to walks on the beach.

Why the 24-105 whichever camera? If I was getting a 7D I would definitely go for the 17-55 f2.8.

I miss that lens since getting my 5D... But don't regret going FF.

5D mark 2 every time, its greatest strength is the tone of the images it produces which are incredible. they just look great sooc.

Craig

Unless you shoot more 'action' type shots, I'd be swayed to the 5D MkII - I had the same dilemma and ended up in the FF box!

No regrets - fantastic camera (as the 7D is) but I preferred the 'feel' of the 5D in my hand and my preference is landscapes and portraits rather than sports/action

Hope this helps

Why the 24-105 whichever camera? If I was getting a 7D I would definitely go for the 17-55 f2.8.

I miss that lens since getting my 5D... But don't regret going FF.

^^ Agreed - this was my favourite lens when I had the 500D. I need to get myself an f2.8 again - I do miss it!

7D if you need the focus system. If you do, pair it with a decent 15/17-> (the 24-105 is OK, but bettered on a crop sensor IMHO).
If you don't need the focus system of the 7D, 5D2 all the way. Had both, only have the 5D2 (and a few L lenses) left.

This really does boil down to what you shoot and the lenses you use,I have both bodies and use the 5d if using long lenses and find the AF on the 7d to be better when shooting fast action stuff, the 5D2 gets used for everything else and find it produces a nicer image right out of the camera.

This is a really interesting thread - I too am thinking about upgrading and cant decide between the 5dII and 7D but by the sounds of things the 7D is what i need to look into as im more into sports/action photography with weddings and portraits thrown in!!

Can i just ask tho - why do the lenses make a difference so much?

Thanks

Like everyone have said:

portraits and landscapes -> 5DII
action and wildlife -> 7D

People with money to burn -> 1DX

The 5DII is a great camera, I'm not going to upgrade mine till 5D VI comes out.

Can i just ask tho - why do the lenses make a difference so much?
Not sure what you're asking here. Can you elaborate? Are you asking why the image quality is better or why I'd make a statement like the 24-105 is OK but can be bettered on crop?

Ok I think I have made up my mind!

I am going to wait until the photokina event...by then I will know if there is to be any new cameras and if not I'll have two more months wage and then might just treat myself to a 5D mark iii and I must be right cos even my girlfriend agrees with me!

;)

Ok I think I have made up my mind!

I am going to wait until the photokina event...by then I will know if there is to be any new cameras and if not I'll have two more months wage and then might just treat myself to a 5D mark iii and I must be right cos even my girlfriend agrees with me!

;)

I've owned a 7d. I own two 5diis.

7d - Great focus, fps. Crap at high ISO. Cropped
5dii - Crap focus (in low light), full frame (lovely dof), okish at high ISO. Also find the RAWs fragile to PP (shadow detail / banding).

If you could blend these two cameras, the love child would be the 5D3.

The 5D3 ticks all the boxes. I'm enjoying mine very much :)

Cheers.

Dav

I have a 7D and 17-55 2.8 combi and will be selling soon to buy a a 5d3.
Not owned a 5d yet so can't compare but the 7d and 17-55 are a great in low light.

I may be in the minority but I prefered my 7D over the 5DII which I owned for just two weeks.

I asked similar questions to the OP tow to three years ago and was guided towards a 5DII. I just couldn't get along with the thing so "upgraded" to the 7D. The 7D just felt better in my hands and nailed every shot wheras the 5DII seemed to either near or back focus anything that moved. I now believe that my mkII was a duffer, but once bitten....

7D + 10-22mm + 17-55mm F/2.8 IS + 70-300L are perfect for me. The 5D MK3 tempts me, but I know that I will gain little in reality. AF on the 7D works great for me and I rarely shoot above ISO 800 so noise is not an issue, and nothing withinn the FF lens range matches my most used lens (the lovely 17-55 IS) for IQ and price. Until I am good enough to get the most out of my 7D, anything else will just be wasting money. Still in love with it after >2 years.

I will also go for the 5D mark 2... you get very nice depth to your photos and access to the nice wide lenses. Not the best if you looking for speed doing wildlife and sports.

LLS

Back