New additions... Alby's Ring Flash diffusion on Yongnuo YN-14EX

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from Alby's ring flash diffusion design. I made one too and tested today.

Here are a few sample shots and the next thread will show how I made it, with suggested tweaks.

Ring Flash Diffusion Test-8631
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ring Flash Diffusion Test-8620
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ring Flash Diffusion Test-8642
by bthomas124, on Flickr

4. Taken for the reflections should have tried getting bug in focus too

Ring Flash Diffusion Test-8624 by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ring Flash Diffusion Test-8638
by bthomas124, on Flickr

How I made it... @JohnPh and anyone interested

1. Filed down corner to give a angled to slot into ring flash, glued a couple of cut up balloons and elastic bands between the angled part created and the tightening screw on hood. This gives it a push fit effect so stays fast.

20140524_200906
by bthomas124, on Flickr

20140524_200913
by bthomas124, on Flickr

2. Cut slots in side aimed for around 45 degrees

20140524_200906
by bthomas124, on Flickr

3. Cut Milk carton too half moon shape and put into slots.

20140524_200850
by bthomas124, on Flickr

20140524_200829
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Now changes I'm going to make, going to cut off side petals as I believe they are blocking some of the light getting to the subject.

Nice one Bryn, that's coming along nicely! I've just been wondering if some side panels down from the edges of the milk cartons to contain the light so to speak would make the light source larger? It's hard to explain I guess, I'll be having a go at that when I get my hood :)

Ring flashes and all are over my head lol but (y) to you for doing it. Well done.
Photo No2, what is it?, to me looks like a tiger mosquito .

Boom! Now that's what I call lighting! Another leap forward Bryn, congrats!

You can see it best in the aphid image. Good even lighting, no harsh highlights and you still retain good contrast. I'm going to overlook the fact that you missed focus on the eye ;)

Boom! Now that's what I call lighting! Another leap forward Bryn, congrats!

You can see it best in the aphid image. Good even lighting, no harsh highlights and you still retain good contrast. I'm going to overlook the fact that you missed focus on the eye ;)

Thanks Tim, as for aphid I couldn't see its eye on the rose background hence focus is where it is. Quite a heavy crop. Only used Tamron for these. They have such tiny heads.

Ring flashes and all are over my head lol but (y) to you for doing it. Well done.
Photo No2, what is it?, to me looks like a tiger mosquito .

Think it's a scorpion fly. Looks very similar to the crane fly family.

Nice one Bryn, that's coming along nicely! I've just been wondering if some side panels down from the edges of the milk cartons to contain the light so to speak would make the light source larger? It's hard to explain I guess, I'll be having a go at that when I get my hood :)

Look forward to seeing it. Though still debating in my head whether cutting off side petals will help also as currently think it leads it to produce even light but on the little bit of dark side hence have to pump up power. Look forward to seeing your solution. Tag me in when you do.

Right Bryn no more comments from me on the table cloth design :p

I never cease to be amazed by the ingenuity being shown on this section with work rounds & DIY dexterity to achieve the right results & the end result here is a very pleasing set & not too sure why but my pick is the third & that could be the unusual mixture of colours (y)

The fly is a non bitting midge rather then a cranefly or scorpion fly.

New setup to try and avoid light being lost seems to have worked, think removing side petals off hood will help too.

Unfortunately it is tipping it down here so couldn't go out to find some bugs, but found this horrible dead beetle, that I may use to try reverse lens trick on.

20140528_203245
by bthomas124, on Flickr

20140528_203232
by bthomas124, on Flickr

This is what I came up with... it certainly seems to work better in test so far not have to use 1/1 power now with 1:1 lens and full tubes.

Some shots of a dead beetle very small thing.

Ring Flash Diffuse Test With light barrier-8816-03
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ring Flash Diffuse Test With light barrier-8814-01
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Ring Flash Diffuse Test With light barrier-8815-02
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Good to see it is evolving Matey, that is a verigated carpet beetle BTW ;)

I like what you have done with the paper/card on the sides. You should glue foil paper on the inside of there to reflect as much light as possible back through the plastic.

I like what you have done with the paper/card on the sides. You should glue foil paper on the inside of there to reflect as much light as possible back through the plastic.
I am in the process of doing exactly this Tim.

Wasn't going to use foil but was going to use radiator reflector but foil may be easier.

Bryn how big is/was the beetle in the last shots?

Fascinating to see the variation in the bespoken 'kit' being made/used (y)

Back