New and need help

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
EF 28-300 f/3.5-5.6L IS USM or EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM has any body got any pics taken with these lenses i have read the reviews but would like to see some images

What are you going to use them for ??
do you need quick focus lens
Are they for a Canon fit ??

canon fit and quick focus for sports ie motocross, football.

Sorry, I don't have suitable comparison shots right now but you're really looking at two very different lenses with different design aims.

The 28-300L is a general do all lens aimed at togs who need quick flexibility....always having the right lens on. I have the forerunner of this, the 35-350L, and sharpness and focus speed is much slower than the 70-200L's. Achieving end to end sharpness for a 10x plus zoom is is always going to be a challenge.

The 70-200 on the other hand is sharp and responsive...easy to achieve with a 3x zoom but may fall a little short for motorsports without the addition of a T/C (I have the IS version)

I'm not trying to put you off either lens...they both have there place and are good within their design criteria but I find it hard to end up a with a scenario that both could be considered for.

Bob

I have a Tamron 28-300 and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8, not the lenses you mention but the ranges / apertures you specify.

I find that I miss the 28-300 more than I miss the f2.8. When budget allows I'll be buying a 100-400 for motorsport / wildlife and something shorter for walkabout / landscape

Pokey is the lens a push pull type lens ??
Long time since I have used Canon :shrug:

the 28-300 is a push pull type the 70-300 is ring type

Both these shots were taken with the 70-200 2.8L IS

IMG_5903-01.jpg

OY8N8497-01.jpg

It's a cracking sharp lens and fast in use, I use it quite a bit for bird togging when I can get close enough. I think for motorsports you may find it a bit on the short side though.

Have you thought about the 100-400L IS? The long zoom range makes it very flexible.

Cracking shots CT, very nice (y)

I think he needs the speed of focus and sharpness. But i am not too sure what the 100-400 OR the 28-300 is like. I think personally the 28-300 is a compromise.
Pokey will be shooting motoX & rally etc so he can get in close(ish)

Pokey there is a bit of a conflab going on a link about larger zooms maybe this might help

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=48233

Unless anyone else can help

A couple of shots with the 100-400L IS...

OY8N4176-01.jpg

IMG_4020-01.jpg

This was the first L glass I bought and I used it for all my wildlife shots at one time. It's a superb lens and I personally like the push/pull zoom.

The 100-400 would be my choice and best bang for his buck. Sometimes it may not be long enough but it will rarely be too long, so it's very convenient The other option of course is to go with a 300 or 400mm prime and converters?

thanks for your input everyone the pics are supurb and the quality well what can i say but thanks again i will certainly have a look at the 100-400 cheers

Pokey let me know how you get on with the 100-400 Im kind of interrested in a Nikon one

Back