New backpack - recommendations

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, for about 5-6 years now my everyday bag has been a Lowepro Fastpack 250, which works really well for me. It's small enough to not get too unwieldy and prevents me from carrying too much, but has a decent sized upper compartment which I use for carrying phones, keys, SSD HDD's, my lunch and other bits and pieces. It goes everywhere with me and I take it to work daily and has been on holiday with me all other the world.

In the lower "camera" section, I can carry my EM1 MK II or EM1X with a standard zoom attached (12-40, 12-100 or 8-18), with my 25mm F1.2 and my 40-150 F2.8 stood up. Or, my Fuji X-T3 (with grip) and 18-55, with my 10-24 and 55-200 as spare lenses.

Whilst it's done me well for years, I now have a few issues with it.

1. When carrying the Olympus 40-150 F2.8 (or trying to carry my Fuji 50-140 F2.8) they are both "just" slightly too long (about 1½"), which means when the bag is closed and the outer protection flap buckled up, everything is very tight and the lenses push a big hump up in the middle of the bag. Also, I have no chance whatsoever of carrying my Olympus 300mm F4 lens as that adds around another 1-1½" on top again.

2. No space to carry a tablet or small laptop (like a surface pro), despite what the images below show - mine has no laptop compartment (these are just later stock images)

3. No AW resistance (or cover)

Does anyone know of another bag that can carry the kit and day goods as mentioned above, that isn't too much larger than the Fastpack ? For info, the Fastpack measures 315 x 240 x 460 mm and images below.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Vanguard Alta Sky 45D. Hugely configurable, and it would take my gripped G9 + Oly 45-150mm. It should tick all your boxes, but not sure if it might be slightly too big for you.

Simon.

Back