New backpack recommendations

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
So I'm on the look out for a new backpack and hoping for some recommendations.

Needs to be on the large side, mostly it'll have R5 with a few RF lenses, 15-35mm, 50mm f1.2, 70-200 and 100-500.
Obviously I won't have them all in the bag at the same time but I'd like to be able to carry at least the camera and 3 lenses.

Needs to fit a Manfrotto tripod on the side.

Open to good recommendations as I've had a quick look online and there are just hundreds to choose from.

I have the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L and it's very comfortable and practical but I just can't get used to how I have to swing it around and use the side access panels. It's made me realise I prefer the rear opening type bag where I can access everything at once.

Not too concerned about budget but I don't want to spend a lot unneccessarily

Lowepro flipside.
There's a few different sizes available....
I have a flipside 500 which holds all my gear and a flipside 300 for my A9 and 200-600mm plus maybe another 1 or 2 lenses....

Last edited:
Lowepro flipside.
There's a few different sizes available....
I have a flipside 500 which holds all my gear and a flipside 300 for my A9 and 200-600mm plus maybe another 1 or 2 lenses....
How do you find the Flipside functionality to allow you access without putting it down?
I hate getting my bags dirty, I was down by the River Mersey the other night and I took a big plastic bag that the shopping came in so I could put it on the ground before putting my bag down :ROFLMAO:

How do you find the Flipside functionality to allow you access without putting it down?
I hate getting my bags dirty, I was down by the River Mersey the other night and I took a big plastic bag that the shopping came in so I could put it on the ground before putting my bag down :ROFLMAO:
You can do this....

unnamed.jpg

Another vote for the backlight here

F-stop, although I found the Lotus straps padding not as comfortable as I would like. I'm currently using a NYA-EVO which seems to be working ok, although the camer inserts are really padded and so I use the f-stop medium slope in it which has a bit less padding so fits more gear.

I like the look of the Flipside 500 but concerned it may be too big, looks huge.
How do you find it?
Huge :LOL:
It is a great bag.
I've had the 200, a couple of 300's, several 400's and the 500.
It carries a lot of gear, and I find it comfortable.
My 400 held a lot of gear too, but I wanted a bag that would also take my flash and still have a bit of space left.....just incase ;)

Last edited:
if walking any distance then an Osprey Stratus with inserts for me

otherwise Shimoda explore or Mindshift 26

or a mind shift suitcase which I leave in the car when I want to have things within a short walk of the location

Dave

This is an interesting post. I have a Flipside 500 AW which is too big for my needs now. I am currently looking for a day bag that will hold a canon R5 and 3 lenses. The PD everyday backpack is on the list of bags I am considering, I'm just not sure if its the 20 or 30 ltr I want.
The Flipside 500 is a big bag I used it to carry my EF 600 f4 and 1DX 2,
If you are interested in some sought of trade or will be putting your PD on the for sale forum give me a heads up please.

If you don't mind used, I saw a Lowepro Vertex AW300 in the classifieds https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/lowepro-vertex-300-aw.721249/
I had the Vertex AW200 and found it so good that when I outgrew it, I found a AW300. After finding out I had too many bags, I sold most, but kept this as my backpack bag, a Stealth Reporter as my shoulder bag and a ThinkTank roller bag. All useful in different ways.

This is an interesting post. I have a Flipside 500 AW which is too big for my needs now. I am currently looking for a day bag that will hold a canon R5 and 3 lenses. The PD everyday backpack is on the list of bags I am considering, I'm just not sure if its the 20 or 30 ltr I want.
The Flipside 500 is a big bag I used it to carry my EF 600 f4 and 1DX 2,
If you are interested in some sought of trade or will be putting your PD on the for sale forum give me a heads up please.
Do you have the original Flipside 500 AW or the newer 500 AW II?

I bought it a while ago from someone on here I believe so I am pretty sure it is the older version.

Have a look at the
Lowepro Pro Trekker BP 450 AW II Backpack

and
Lowepro Pro Trekker BP 550 AW II Backpack

both good strong bags

I've ordered the Flipside 500 AW II from Amazon.
Primarily because I'm not sure on the size and if I'm not happy with it then it's really easy to send back to Amazon.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. :)

@Fordsabroad I may post my Peak Design Everyday Backpack (30L) in the classifieds in the next few days, once I've tested the Lowepro.

Previously I’d used the flipside 300 and 400 but never liked that they were only photography bags. There was never enough room for a jacket, food or other bits like first aid kit, maps, temporary shelter or emergency bag.

I’m a big fan of F stop. I like their versatility as you can vary the size of the camera part but swapping in different sized ICUs. This make sure you have the room you need for other bits. The smaller F stop bags are good but the straps are thinner and not as comfortable for a long bays hike. Im thinking of letting my f stop Lotus and Sukha bags go in place of the Tilopa which is the size in between the two.

Previously I’d used the flipside 300 and 400 but never liked that they were only photography bags. There was never enough room for a jacket, food or other bits like first aid kit, maps, temporary shelter or emergency bag.
I use a flipside trek when I go Munro bagging.
It takes my A9, 24-105mm plus space for another couple of lenses if required.
It has room for a jacket, 2 water bottles, a tin mug, coffee grinder, sandwiches etc.

I’m a big fan of F stop. I like their versatility as you can vary the size of the camera part but swapping in different sized ICUs. This make sure you have the room you need for other bits. The smaller F stop bags are good but the straps are thinner and not as comfortable for a long bays hike. Im thinking of letting my f stop Lotus and Sukha bags go in place of the Tilopa which is the size in between the two.

I think the lotus would be nearly the perfect backpack if it wasn’t for the lack of padding on the straps.

I use a flipside trek when I go Munro bagging.
It takes my A9, 24-105mm plus space for another couple of lenses if required.
It has room for a jacket, 2 water bottles, a tin mug, coffee grinder, sandwiches etc.
I've always really liked the look of the treks, seems a great design

So the Lowepro Flipside 500 AW II arrived today.

Looks pretty impressive, doesn't feel too big on my back (I'm 6 foot 1 so figured it would be okay).
I need to do a little more organisation but so far so good.
Squeezed in the following and still have room to spare:
  • EOS R5
  • RF 50mm f1.2
  • RF 70-200mm f2.8
  • RF 15-35mm f2.8
  • RF 100-500mm f4.5-f7.1
  • Lee filter holder + circular polariser filter
  • Set of Lee filters
  • Peak Design slide
  • Godox control unit and flash trigger (which I use for remotely firing the camera on landscapes)
  • Lens cleaner + wipe
  • Alan key
  • Spare batteries
  • I'l make room for my R6 when it arrives
Still plenty of room if needed, and once it's on my back it feels very comfortable.
I'll try and get out into Liverpool this week and do some walking with it and see how it feels but I think it's a big improvement for me.

Thanks for all your advice as always :)

Anyone have something slimmer for carrying Lee filters other than that big bulky pouch I'm using? It takes up a lot of space.

IMG_3138.JPG

Looks pretty impressive, doesn't feel too big on my back (I'm 6 foot 1 so figured it would be okay).
  • EOS R5
  • RF 50mm f1.2
  • RF 70-200mm f2.8
  • RF 15-35mm f2.8
  • RF 100-500mm f4.5-f7.1
  • Set of Lee filters
  • Peak Design slide
  • Godox control unit and flash trigger (which I use for remotely firing the camera on landscapes)
  • Lens cleaner + wipe
  • Alan key
  • Spare batteries
Still plenty of room if needed, and once it's on my back it feels very comfortable.
I'll try and get out into Liverpool this week and do some walking with it and see how it feels but I think it's a big improvement for me.

Anyone have something slimmer for carrying Lee filters other than that big bulky pouch I'm using? It takes up a lot of space.

View attachment 311902
Have a look at mindshift filter pouches. Much smaller than the Lee field pouch but they don’t carry as many filters.

I have this one. I usually only carry a couple of grads (either soft or hard depending where I am and what will be needed) and a 6 stop and/or 10 stop ND filter(s).

Last edited:

• EOS R5
  • RF 50mm f1.2
  • RF 70-200mm f2.8
  • RF 15-35mm f2.8
  • RF 100-500mm f4.5-f7.1
  • Set of Lee filters
  • Peak Design slide
  • Lens cleaner + wipe
  • Alan key
  • Spare batteries

View attachment 311902
The bag holds a ton of gear, when you have filled it to capacity make sure you book your appointment with a chiropractor, you'll need it! Enjoy your new purchase. As for the pouch for Lee filters, I have switched to Kase Wolverine magnetic filters they are far more compact, the only downside that I can see is that the grad they sell is pretty limited in use as it is not positionable like a slot in one so I will now exposure blend my images.

The bag holds a ton of gear, when you have filled it to capacity make sure you book your appointment with a chiropractor, you'll need it! Enjoy your new purchase. As for the pouch for Lee filters, I have switched to Kase Wolverine magnetic filters they are far more compact, the only downside that I can see is that the grad they sell is pretty limited in use as it is not positionable like a slot in one so I will now exposure blend my images.
I took it out today, fully packed and I found it very comfortable with plenty of support.
I've had 3 slipped discs and suffer from chronic back pain and certain things will set it off but this bag seems to sit right, walked around with it for a couple of hours this morning and so far so good. :)

Huge :LOL:
It is a great bag.
I've had the 200, a couple of 300's, several 400's and the 500.
It carries a lot of gear, and I find it comfortable.
My 400 held a lot of gear too, but I wanted a bag that would also take my flash and still have a bit of space left.....just incase ;)

I like the 500 - it's the depth of the bag as well as the length that matters if you are carrying big lenses due to their wider diameter.

It's one of only a few that takes a 645z in comfortably. The OP has made a good choice.

I have the Shimoda Action X50 and love it. I found my F-Stop Anja very uncomfortable as the straps are very thin and the back straps are not adjustable.

The Shimoda is just great and easily hold my R5, 3 lenses, filters a few other bits and bobs, a jacket, lunch, Water bladder. Easy to attached a tripod.

Back