New BBC TV series on photography!

Mr Badger

Didymus
Edit My Images
No
Just seen a trailer advertising BBC TV's new 'photography season', which starts on BBC 4 this coming Monday (6th March) at 9pm (check your local listings to make sure this time is correct), so thought I'd share this and let you know. (y) :)

Edit: Here you go, some details on the following link. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08h95jk I think @Andysnap mentioned this forthcoming series a few weeks back too.

Last edited:
Yep, saw the advert last night. It was the umpteenth time ive seen it but the first time they mentioned a time and date.

I like Eamonn McCabe and his work. In the earlu 80s he came to our camera club to give a talk about his work as a sprts photogtapher and to judge the entries of our quarterly picture competition. He made a great impact and many friends that evening.

Will be interesting to 'catch up' with with him through this new series.

Stevr

Cheers good reminder. That image on the BBC website looks like lacock

Thanks for the alert on this

The washing line woman ?

I've not tracked it down but the first thing I thought was John Bulmer

It is, shot in Halifax.

I'm assuming that Byker is talking about the window shot - which is in Lacock Abbey.

I clicked on that image and it takes you to the NMM, there are a few thumbnails on there, #1 and #3 are definitely John Bulmer

This is the exhibition guide from the national coal mining museum, I went to an exhibition they hosted of John Bulmer stuff called Northern Soul.
That washing woman pic just reminds me of his work

zobymu.jpg

18hms2.jpg

It is, shot in Halifax.

I'm assuming that Byker is talking about the window shot - which is in Lacock Abbey.

Oh I dunno, I thought he was talking about a photographer, I wouldn't know Lacock Abbey if it was a picture of the entire building, never mind from a window.....:ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't know Lacock Abbey if it was a picture of the entire building, never mind from a window.....:ROFLMAO:

Lacock Abbey. Home of Henry Fox-Talbot, creator of the photographic negative, one of whose first (and surviving) images was of that window.

Lacock Abbey. Home of Henry Fox-Talbot, creator of the photographic negative, one of whose first (and surviving) images was of that window.
Henry Fox Talbot - Yes, Creator of the photographic negative - Yes, Window picture - Yes, Lacock Abbey.....never heard of it

it must be waaaaay south of Barnsley..:D

On freeview channel 19 & 6-7 it's about photography in WW1...I've seen it before, but you might get the last 15mins if you watch now

Thought the program reasonably interesting, nice to Emerson get a mention

The sq guys are not getting a look in so far....well I prefer rectangles :D

Lacock abbey is near trowbridge in Wiltshire! It really is worth a visit! Beautiful place!

Heck, there was a load of Yorkshire in that that I never knew about

Yes, I enjoyed it as well. Some interesting facts and well presented, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Conflicted with a couple of other things, but I managed to catch it on iPlayer after the other half had gone to bed. I quite enjoyed it... though not the bait and switch moment... let's set up this massive view camera, looks good... but that one doesn't work, can I take your picture with this horrid digeri thing? :(

But I did like a quote from an early female photographer, name I can't remember... I can't remember the exact words either, but something to the effect that other photographers adjust their lens until the image is sharp front to back, she adjusted her lens until it looked beautiful! Who'd have expected that argument to be continuing to this day...

Instead of all these professionals sprouting off and using it for free publicity, why doesn't someone do a series for the enthusiast and the beginner? Get the pros to explain how, when why, equipment used settings etc

That would be a lot more entertaining, informative, creative and of use to a whole lot more people, than photographic lovies showing off and promoting themselves and or their company

Just finished watching yhe first episode. I liked the invention to innovation flow but the societal element was engaging too.

I will watch it again next week. [emoji106]

I feel sure I've seen it all before. Will record it and burn it for posterity though, to join all the hundreds of others probably never to be watched again.

Instead of all these professionals sprouting off and using it for free publicity, why doesn't someone do a series for the enthusiast and the beginner? Get the pros to explain how, when why, equipment used settings etc

That would be a lot more entertaining, informative, creative and of use to a whole lot more people, than photographic lovies showing off and promoting themselves and or their company

lol.....I dunno what to say to that, its like complaining about the lack of political content on QVC.
The series is about the historical development of photography from its inception, its not about fstops and when to use a grad........thank god, you've got utubes for that haven't you?
I mean, if you tune in to watch a program about digging up Tutankhamen, you don't want to be presented with a tutorial on how to use a pick and shovel.

well, I don't anyway...:)

I did like a quote from an early female photographer, name I can't remember... I can't remember the exact words either, but something to the effect that other photographers adjust their lens until the image is sharp front to back, she adjusted her lens until it looked beautiful! Who'd have expected that argument to be continuing to this day...

That was Julia Margaret Cameron, IMO one of the most important photographers of all time. No one was doing what she did with portraits back then. If you ever get the chance to go to her home, Dimbola Lodge at Freshwater Bay on the Isle of Wight, I recommend to everyone that you do so. Just to stand next to one of her large cameras, looking out of the window towards the bay, trying to see it as she might have seen it. My attempt is quite literal https://www.flickr.com/photos/garryknight/4879036557/
And the visit ought to include the tearoom, which serves some very nice cakes, and has old cameras on display.

Good show! Glad I caught it. Only knowing digital I learnt quite a bit. Wish there were more programmes on photography - and I don't mean the photography competition one whatever it was called.

I enjoyed the programme and learned several facts from watching it. I hadn't been aware of the work of Roger Fenton, or his time with a horsedrawn darkroom in the Crimean War. Watching the section on the Crimea, I was immediately struck by the similarity between Fenton's adventures there and those of George Hardy, (the full name of the eponymous protagonist Master Georgie) in the final chapters of the book by Beryl Bainbridge.

A quick internet search confirmed that Beryl Bainbridge had always been fascinated by the photographs of the Valley of Death and had indeed used Fenton as the model for her character. She had even gone so far in her research as to write to the Royal Photographic Society asking for technical details of processing in those days.

I mean, if you tune in to watch a program about digging up Tutankhamen, you don't want to be presented with a tutorial on how to use a pick and shovel.

Why would I write that....because I'm sure I didn't know that The Man Who Shot Tutankhamen is on BBC4 at 9.00 tonight

subliminal jiggery pokery ?

this is what happens when you faff on a laptop with the tv on in the background

*runs off to check bank statement*

Last edited:
h'mm not for:- in bed with the chickens and up with the cock :D

t
Why would I write that....because I'm sure I didn't know that The Man Who Shot Tutankhamen is on BBC4 at 9.00 tonight

subliminal jiggery pokery ?

this is what happens when you faff on a laptop with the tv on in the background

*runs off to check bank statement*

Well, if all your house lights suddenly fail and your dog dies tonight I suppose you could always blame it on the curse! :eek:

Last edited:

Sounds like an incredibly boring way to pass the time.
Don't you think there are enough of those "tutorials" on YouTube already?

h'mm not for:- in bed with the chickens and up with the cock :D
These days we have "Catch Up TV"
There's absolutely no reason to watch any program at the time it's broadcast.

Snip:
These days we have "Catch Up TV"
There's absolutely no reason to watch any program at the time it's broadcast.

That's all very well and good, but it assumes Excalibur 2 has a computer and internet access.

;)

Quite an interesting show although it felt padded out at times. The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death photo was interesting to see how photography has been staged and essentially propaganda from the very beginning.

Well there was no whimping out with equipment and materials in the man who shot Tutankhamen, it was 10x8 glass plates all the way....lol

Back