New BBC wildlife series coming

It looks like another propaganda piece about rewilding and climate change

It looks like another propaganda piece about rewilding and climate change
I am reserving judgement until I see the first one.

Though, I would welcome a timely and up to date reminder of what the data shows and just what can be and is being done to protect what we have! We are losing sight of the risks we face if we don't look after nature.

I am reserving judgement until I see the first one.

We are losing sight of the risks we face if we don't look after nature.

Congratulations China :mad:

....."Researchers to declare that one of the ocean’s most gentle giants, the dugong (Dugong dugon), is now functionally extinct in China"

Article dated today: https://www.zsl.org/science/news/gentle-giants-of-the-sea-now-extinct-in-china

All's not lost,though. From the article.

"Dugongs can be found in coastal waters off tropical and sub-tropical countries from East Africa to Vanuatu, and as far north as the southwestern islands of Japan, but they are globally threatened and listed as Vulnerable by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). ZSL’s EDGE of Existence programme also recognises dugongs as one of the world’s top mammal conservation priorities based on evolutionary history.

Edit..Added...."Dugongs are dependent upon sea grass, a specific marine habitat that is being rapidly degraded by human impacts. Although seagrass restoration and recovery efforts are a key conservation priority in China, restoration takes time that dugongs may no longer have"

Last edited:
Congratulations China :mad:

....."Researchers to declare that one of the ocean’s most gentle giants, the dugong (Dugong dugon), is now functionally extinct in China"

Article dated today: https://www.zsl.org/science/news/gentle-giants-of-the-sea-now-extinct-in-china

All's not lost,though. From the article.

"Dugongs can be found in coastal waters off tropical and sub-tropical countries from East Africa to Vanuatu, and as far north as the southwestern islands of Japan, but they are globally threatened and listed as Vulnerable by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). ZSL’s EDGE of Existence programme also recognises dugongs as one of the world’s top mammal conservation priorities based on evolutionary history.
I too heard that on the news and it saddened me...... especially bearing in mind the huge & costly efforts made by the Chinese to ensure the future of the Giant Panda.

I too heard that on the news and it saddened me...... especially bearing in mind the huge & costly efforts made by the Chinese to ensure the future of the Giant Panda.

Yes, It's struck me as strange the way they look after the Giant Panda to the exclusion of other animals. They have a poor record re humane treatment of animals.. Bear bile farms ? https://www.animalsasia.org/intl/en...MI8J-0jfPf-QIVSbDtCh0v2gzpEAAYASAAEgJp-_D_BwE

They've been so successful with the Giant Pandas, described as a 'national treasure' that in 2016 it was removed from the 'endangered' list. They make quite a lot of money from loaning them out to zoos worldwide and, in that respect, use them for international diplomacy.

I wondered what the penalty is for killing or capturing one to sell. etc.

"In China, anyone who illegally hunts, kills, purchases, transports, or sells a panda may be sentenced to imprisonment for more than 10 years, along with a fine or confiscation of property. According to judicial interpretations issued by China’s Supreme People’s Court, if there is one panda or more illegally hunted, killed, purchased, transported or sold, it shall be regarded as particularly serious"

Back