New born baby portrait (Evelyn)

Name
Brendan
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
Well following on from this thread:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=272906

My daughter was born on the 2nd Dec in the middle of the night, in all the bad weather...... it was very stressful.

Here are afew photo's that I have taken and would like to improve, these 3 are the best of the lot I think as my wife wasn't very helpful as she liked all of them :bonk: this is my 2nd time taking baby portraits, and I would just like to knowif I'm going in the right direction???

EVELYN BRIDGET WEST APPLE 1 by brendanwest, on Flickr

EVELYN BRIDGET WEST PINK HAT 1 by brendanwest, on Flickr

EVELYN BRIDGET WEST XMAS 2010 by brendanwest, on Flickr

All taken with nikon D90, nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and SB800.

Thanks

not much to improve - a little cropping to tighten them would be about all.

not much to improve - a little cropping to tighten them would be about all.
I 100% agree but I hope to get some on canvas so I have left abit for the wrap around, do you think I have left enough? Thanks

Good hats! I got the hat in #1 in red & green in prep for birth in early Jan.

Good set.

I like them :)

1 and 2 are very nice, 3 looks a little bit of an awkward pose....

for canvas, i think height-wise it could be a little tight, you may lose a little of the hats in the first 2, and maybe a bit of the hand in #3......

VERY good second attempt! :D

p.s. where are the hats from? :)

Congratulations! And she's beautiful and these are really lovely.

The only other thing I'd try next time is maybe to use a wider aperture, so it focuses in on her face and slightly blurs the blanket and background.

I can't pic a winner, I like them all, I bet your wife is thrilled too! (y)

(For canvases, you could always just clone a bit to extend the blanket and background for the wrap)

Last edited:
Very nice, I would strongly want more key-light though. She is a little cutey, you guys must be in cloud 9 :D

I have to agree that I like all three too. No#1 is absolutely awesome though :) Looks like she fell asleep watching Eastenders or something :clap:

I love number one and two the best, the hats are fab!

I agree that a wider ap would give you a nice depth of field, congrats to you both, she is gorg!:D

Good compositions but the skin tones could be a little less red for me. Also the 3 different hts are on the verge of being a bit too much for me - what's wrong with just your daughter on her own -why do the hats have to be there to make the photos 'cute'?

Hey, l have that hat!!

Untitled by MaddyZangles, on Flickr

Awww...lovely! Congratulations! :clap:

Lovely pics...l think the only 2 pointers l would give are, use a narrower dof, as you can focus on the face and have blankets and the background fade away, and there's something about the light l'm not keen on....it seems a bit flat.

Maybe try having the light at an angle...about 45 degrees, to the baby. l find it is more flattering, and if you can keep it really natural, and maybe use a 1.4 lens wide open, it is softer.

l do newborns a fair bit, although still learning, so feel free to have a look at my Flickr set for ideas.

Hey, l have that hat!!

Untitled by MaddyZangles, on Flickr

Awww...lovely! Congratulations! :clap:

Lovely pics...l think the only 2 pointers l would give are, use a narrower dof, as you can focus on the face and have blankets and the background fade away, and there's something about the light l'm not keen on....it seems a bit flat.

Maybe try having the light at an angle...about 45 degrees, to the baby. l find it is more flattering, and if you can keep it really natural, and maybe use a 1.4 lens wide open, it is softer.

l do newborns a fair bit, although still learning, so feel free to have a look at my Flickr set for ideas.
I know you got that hat :D that's were I got the idea from (y) I will try afew more next week as dont want to put the camera in her face all the time. Thanks for the pointers and I will try again and post the results.

I know you got that hat :D that's were I got the idea from (y) I will try afew more next week as dont want to put the camera in her face all the time. Thanks for the pointers and I will try again and post the results.

Can I ask where you got your hat? Im loving it soo much and really want to buy one! :D

thanks

S

Lovely photos, look forward to seeing some awake ones :)
You know a new mother can't be trusted at all when it comes to her newborn:love: Completely blinded. I remember seeing all the other babies in the hospital and they looked so ugly in comparison to my little miracle.

This photographer does alot of this type of newborn photography with all natural light. http://moments.ie/index2.php#/home/

Fantastic shots.

Wish I was more 'into' my photography when my son was born to take these type of shots.

Next time.......

I ABSOLUTELY love number 1. It's among the best I have seen here

Back