New brands fencing at druids

How do the media togs amongst us feel about the ever increasing red zones and the fact that in my opinion give it 5 years with the current FIA study into safety for both marshals and media that most circuits including the ones that some of us love will be lined with no go areas and fencing mounted so close to armco that there simply is no gap to stand in?

What now is regrettably the situation for non media buffs will over the next few years spread to trackside media. Photo hatches with a queue for acsess, remote cameras triggered by radio remotes, believe me it will happen!

I'm not sure which is worse; what you suggest or somewhere like Silverstone where, even with accreditation, you're stuck miles from the track due to the massive run offs.

I stopped covering BSB at the end of '09 but, at that point, there weren't many areas (across all circuits) where you couldn't get. Thruxton is obviously an exception...

I think that people need to start to realise that, with the exception of the big national (BSB, BTCC) and international events, that spectators are just a pain for circuits to have to deal with that probably cost more money to accomodate then they generate off gate fees. The real money and profit to the likes of MSV / BARC etc is in the renting of the circuit to whichever race series is there. Having to accomodate spectators and provide associated security, car parking etc etc is most likely something they could do without.

In short, and in my opinion, they don't really care if new fences block your view or your moved further and further back, as long as they're receiving the revenue coming in from the race series itself. This is demonstrated by this example to get the DTM at Brands and numerous other examples. They know for the really big national and international race meetings that spectators will come anyway, so they really are quids in. They can dress it up in any HSE cloak they like, but at the end of the day, all they want to do is hire the circuit out to the most lucrative and highest paying series they can.

Just my opinion of course!

Simon.

Oh indeed, they are a business and thats what its all about. Nothing they do is not calculated to make money and keep that money coming in - no different to any other business!

They make more money from track days than they do from big events, in fact they actually MAKE money from track days vs something like WSB which is the reason why its gone, despite its past massive crowd figures (back in the Foggy era, Brands WSB was the biggest single sporting event the UK held!)

Back