New brands fencing at druids

Name
Vlad
Edit My Images
Yes
Blurgh! Will try to upload a photo I just took

Yes apparently it's fia that wanted it

What's it like on the GP circuit now? The last time I went (last year) they still had waist height fences, is that still the case?

The FIA should stick to making ridiculous decision in F1 in my opinion!

Rodderstrotter posted an image in the Motorsport section and subsequently emailed MSV - he found out that the fence won't be extending any further and they are looking at the possibility of introducing some photographer friendly windows.

Of course they do is yet to be seen, but I think this would make good sense as I've been to meetings a majority of those in attendance have been photographists.

F1?? Lol!

No its for fia series like dtm and super league

I'd say it would be because of DTM, last couple of years the have closed off Druids for the DTM. If MSV have said they will put photographer friendly windows in I believe them, they made Snetterton very photographer friendly for spectators. Hopefully they'll put some windows in on other areas of track also where they have the high fencing.
By the way, I clicked on the link for the photo and got a red x.

I don't think you'll see "hatches" and even if you do, how useful will they be on the run into Druids?

We shall see! This fencing has been speculated about for a long time before it happened.

The pic works if you click for big size... no idea why it went wrong, I posted it via twitter earlier

I don't think you'll see "hatches" and even if you do, how useful will they be on the run into Druids?

We shall see! This fencing has been speculated about for a long time before it happened.

The pic works if you click for big size... no idea why it went wrong, I posted it via twitter earlier

Yeah, I managed to get that to work,:LOL:. I don't know why they just couldnt have moved the spectator fence back. If they made it level with the vehicle enclosure fence and put a slightly higher stronger fence up, I'm sure that would have sufficed. That fencing has just ruined my favourite spot. On race days that's where we would normally sit. Does the fence continue along the top of Druids and back down the other side to Graham Hill as well, or is it just on the run up to Druids?

Apparently the catch fence has to be a certain height and specification and then the inner crowd fence has to be a certain distance away from the catch fence.

Yes its only from the marshal post just before the bridge right up to the gate at the top and not (yet) down the exit side.

DTM (or the FIA officials that inspect the track before DTM) have been trying to get this catch fencing for at least the last 4 or 5 years. Previously they have settled with either closing druids or putting up waist high barrier that keep people further from the edge of the track. But it looks like they have given in.

Honestly the catch fencing below the bridge is not a bad idea, I'm actually surprised it wasn't added sooner, particularly for trucks. However the bit above the bridge is laughable.

For what its worth they have also restricted our access (without informing us) so we can't shoot down the pit straight (we normally can't on race starts, but now its a blanket ban) How silly is that!? They are also handing out *******ings if you do - but half the marshals don't realise and it still shows the area as safe except race starts on MSV's map.

For what its worth they have also restricted our access (without informing us) so we can't shoot down the pit straight (we normally can't on race starts, but now its a blanket ban) How silly is that!? They are also handing out *******ings if you do - but half the marshals don't realise and it still shows the area as safe except race starts on MSV's map.

would that not be due to that MR2 that went flying through the gap in the fence at the end of the pit straight not so long ago?

Nah, they have permanently red zoned the bit where the MR2 flew off (in front of the paddock hill grandstand) but the rest of the start-finish straight is allowed, but after the first lap only (during actual races).

The red zone map for last weekend did not show the prohibition Nick is talking about...

Noooo. that was one of my favourite places. Are they planning the other side too?

I doubt we'll see any more this year... it was done before DTM and DTM has happened now...

Its a constant battle though with H&S, they are never happy.... but of course fences cost money so MSV won't pay unless they have to!

Another reason to avoid BH and go elsewhere for general motorsport pics.

Like where?!

Lyddens great all the fencings still waist high, downside the toilets in the middle of the parking havent changed since it first opened, well theyve put in new taps that are very eco friendly, barely let out any water.

Lyddens great all the fencings still waist high, downside the toilets in the middle of the parking havent changed since it first opened, well theyve put in new taps that are very eco friendly, barely let out any water.

Not to mention that the circuit is the shortest in the UK and that the only racing they have is rallycross...

Not to mention that the circuit is the shortest in the UK and that the only racing they have is rallycross...

Well, I was talking about 'general' motorsport, not the high-end stuff. In any case, don't they often shut off the inside of druids to spectators for some events?

They do have some club racing at Lydden other than rallycross, just not many.

Well, I was talking about 'general' motorsport, not the high-end stuff. In any case, don't they often shut off the inside of druids to spectators for some events?

Nah, the only one is normally DTM - the reason for which is either because of the TV boom camera they use or because of the lack of fencing (depending which story you believe).

But the inside of Druids wasn't closed. It was open but now features extra catch fencing and had a small area fenced area for the camera opperator. The only other event that ever see's druids infield shut is trucks depending on how H+S they are feeling that round.

Its still a superb circuit to spectate at and there are still great spots for spectator side photography - see Andys BSB Brands Pics.

No, but they did change it - adding better protection for the marshal post and moving the fence line back about 20 feet.

Still a good place to shoot from but a bit safer now.

Remember the FIA inspection was for DTM and they race only on the Indy circuit.

bleedin double post!

Last edited:
No, but they did change it - adding better protection for the marshal post and moving the fence line back about 20 feet.

Ah right. Was a nice spot that.

The fence at Druids, was it just on the entry to druids or is it all the way around?

All the way down the run in, its not across the top nor on the exit side.

And thats only to do with the race series hosted there...

With only the lower classes you don't need the safety... its things like Superleague, DTM, WSB and Historic F1 you need the higher safety certs for.

BSB/BTCC is much simpler.

(modern) F1 is even more of a can of worms that only Silverhell can run.

SEMSEC,BRSCC, MLR sprint series, vintage motorcycling racing, theres not just rallycross, may not be the big names that brands gets but it still provides goods racing.

How do the media togs amongst us feel about the ever increasing red zones and the fact that in my opinion give it 5 years with the current FIA study into safety for both marshals and media that most circuits including the ones that some of us love will be lined with no go areas and fencing mounted so close to armco that there simply is no gap to stand in?

What now is regrettably the situation for non media buffs will over the next few years spread to trackside media. Photo hatches with a queue for acsess, remote cameras triggered by radio remotes, believe me it will happen! In ten years any race meet without TV will have zero spectators, and 99% of major meetings will have a group of 10-12 image locations that will provide no diversity in image projection whatsoever. But having said that shots from behind fences with artistic licence for want of a better phrase will be the norm. Good job this forum has a few that are already practicising (To good effect) that type of image. Its on its way, 6 years I say, any takers on that bet?

Last edited:
Maybe just slightly off topic but I wanted to share this rather poigniant post on Ten Tenths from a young 17 year old. Now I know he is probably not a camera buff but his opinion for one so young should in my opinion be applauded.

Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice Ten Tenths Trackside Section 06/09/11

I'm 17. I've never seen a Grand Prix, or Le Mans, Champ Car race or indeed any significant international or national motor race without watching from behind catch fencing. "The motor racing world you guys grew up in will forever be lost to me and my generation. I was brought up on Group C videos, classic car magazines, 80s Grand Prixs my parents had taped and so on - and so that's the motor racing I fell in love with."

Many of you are resenting the new generation of OTT safety, a sport with less risk than chess, spectator viewing several yards from the "action", the destruction of diversity and innovation through one-make series' and the gradual silencing of the brilliant sound of the racing car - but at least you were around before it was like that. I've seen some of that world, but I've been growing up with a motor racing world which continues to sell its soul and lose the magic it used to have."

"The people that run motor sport now seem to have no understanding of why so many people used to love motor racing. People didn't attend the 1950 British Grand Prix worrying about the emmisions from his Alfa, or arriving dissapointed that they'd spent their money and they weren't watching behind a football pitch of gravel and a catchment fence."

I agree you need a certain level of spectator safety, as McNish's crash proved at Le Mans - but whenever something like this at Brands Hatch happens, you're always left wondering how far it's going to go."

Last edited:
What's done is done, as I said earlier MSV will have argued the toss with the FIA over this (and I believe they have been doing so for several years).

THEY do not want more fences, mores fences is MONEY, more fences reduces spectator appeal which reduces MONEY.

So, no, there is no desire.

However, they must do two things:

1) Ensure that whatever hoops are placed in the way of them hosting an advertised event that they ensure it happens.

2) That their business risk is well managed and I'd personally not want to appear in court defending after the freak accident that killed one or more people and have the HSE pull out a report from the well known FIA saying that they had recommended a safety fence and MSV had refused.... you would get spanked to hell and back for that.

Is fencing bad for photography and getting into the action? Well, certainly the former, the latter?

assuming we are talking about where the mr2s went off, isnt that now a red zone?

No, that discussion was about the bit on the entrance to stirlings

Back