New build with SSD - How i do set up PS and LR?

Name
Neil Thompson
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Just about to start building a new machine

i7 2600k
Asus P8Z68 V Pro Gen3
16Gb Crossair Vengence DDr3 1600mhz
120Gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD
2TB Sata II data drive
Win 7 Ultimate X64

and need to know the best way to set it all up.

My board enables Intel smart response which i understand uses the SSD as a Cache but only uses 60Gb of it? Would i be better off just installing everything to the SSD and then move all my temp and pagefiles etc to the data drive and optomise by following one of the Win7 SSd guides.

With all my programs and a lot of junk on my current C drive (not optomised in any way!) its sitting at 98Gb. Reckon it would be closer to 80gb with junk removed.

Also when it comes to setting up PS CS5 and LR3 is there a best practice for locating scratch disk, catalouge etc?

Have read about using some of my 16GB ram as a Ram disk and locate the scratch disk there to keep the speed but minimise writes to the SSD.
How does LR work with the catalouge and previews, does it write stuff everytime you access it?

Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Last edited:
".........Would i be better off just installing everything to the SSD and then move all my temp and pagefiles etc to the data drive and optomise by following one of the Win7 SSd guides....."

That's what I did although I kept my Music and Photo files on hard-drive. Just put iTunes, LR etc on the SSD.

Loads of threads about building with your components on here.

Must admit I'd never heard of 'smart response'. After a bit of reading I see it is a way of creating a hybrid drive by using an SSD with a conventional drive so they appear as a single drive with a fast cache to the system.

The article I read is here .

it is certainly a way round the size problem and I'd be interested to know how it turns out if you do it. Personally it sounds like adding a fair bit of complication and I'd stick with just installing to the SSD on 120GB drive. I've done nothing more than not use the 'My' folders on my 128Gb SSD and have 50 free after a year. I have changed cache locations in LR and the video editing program I use but that is all.

Leave the page file on the ssd but set it to 2-4gb in size. With 16gb ram you'll probably never see it grow from 2gb.

Remember to disable hibernate and manually delete the hiberfil.sys otherwise that's 16gb space waste.

My lightroom program files are on the ssd but the catalogues are on a mechanical 1tb and the raw on my nas.

Last edited:
Good stuff cheers for the repiles :)

Smart response looks like a great idea but seems it might be better suited if your only using 1 HDD and dont want to think about where to store or install things. Would be great for a laptop or everyday desktop.

Think im going to go with installing everything to the SSD and optimise.
Ill put my PS scratch disk and LR catalogs on a 250Gb mechanical drive and do the same for similar programs (Catia/Vegas etc)

Work flow will be
Create folder on 2Tb drive for the project
Copy in raw files from cards
Import into LR
Delete scrap
PS anything that i cant do in LR
Export chosen shots from LR to 250Gb drive as Jpegs
Leave the raw files and .xmps on the TB as storage
Backup important Raws and all jpegs to external drive.
Format cards

Future plan will be to swap out the 250Gb for a larger Sata III drive once prices come down again or would it be better having a fast HDD (10k rpm) for a scratch drive? I know SSD would be best but it seems a waste lol.

Last edited:
Up and running and just a bit of an improvment.

Ran the swirl filter test on photoshop

Was - 138 secs - AMD Athlon x64 4800+/ 4Gb DDR800
Now - 14 secs!!!!!!

Only had a chance to play with it for a few minutes before heading off for a wedding but impressed so far.

Will get stuck into the SSD optimisation this evening and see how long it takes to process the wedding shots.

Any good guides for optimising Win 7 with the OCZ Agility 3??
the one on the OCZ site is from 2009 so a little out of date.

Cheers Neil

Back