Critique New Café Opening!

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

A new café opening…
the proud owners want to have some shots as it is brand new. I had
to wait until it was fairly dark as the daylight should not contaminate
the complex inner light design they paid a fortune for!

Last edited:
Looks difficult lighting to work with, especially the reds (though I have no experience with this type of photography).
All seems to have worked very well in the 1st four but I am unsure of the last, the high angle looking down appears rather awkward to me and has sent all of the verticals awry. :)

Last edited:
Looks difficult fighting to work with, especially the reds (though I have no experience with this type of photography).
All seems to have worked very well in the 1st four but I am unsure of the last, the high angle looking down appears rather awkward to me and has sent all of the verticals awry. :)

I am sure a keystone correction could be applied to the last one, however with such corrections an awful lot will be lost from the side and the image doesn't look composed in such a way to cater for this.

This is why I advocate the use of tilt shift lens in my resource...here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/keystoning-is-correcting-converging-verticals.122/

All the images look a bit dark and soft too.

I am sure a keystone correction could be applied to the last one, however with such corrections an awful lot will be lost from the side and the image doesn't look composed in such a way to cater for this.

Agree Steve, there is so much in the scene that the RAW would need to be much wider and higher to allow for a 100% correction as-is.

@Kodiak Qc what lens did you use for this shot?

…the high angle looking down appears rather awkward to me and has sent all of the verticals awry.

Correct observation Roger, however, as the floor neons are part of
the light design, even my Nikkor 24PC lens could have rendered
the scene any better. After explanations and discussion, the owners
went for that solution.

No1 really doesn't sell the advert of a Cafe, to me, it's very clinical and sparse; possibly more like a hospital entrance.
Love No2, now that is warm and inviting, it makes me want to visit.
Liking No4 also, the composition and balance are great, and the colour enhances the image really well.
As you say, it must be heavy on the lighting bill and any flickering neon will be havoc for us epileptics

what lens did you use for this shot?

As I said:
— "After explanations and discussion, the owners went for that solution."
To make a decision, they had to compare the two shots: 24 PC and not.
After seeing the results, they preferred the non PC version.

So, the shot was taken with the 24 PC… without PC! ;-)

Not sure about any of these to be honest.

I know you have probably spent ages getting the balance of colours right but it just says empty pub to me.

Need a bit more folk about the place.

I know you have probably spent ages getting the balance of colours right

Not really, pretty much SOOC!

…but you're right Mike, I too wanted to have people in there! The purpose
for this series was to have a look at the "as is" brand new condition.

My clients knew very well what I meant and this is why we planned an
other session with people and dancing and… what not!

Last edited:
Tricky lighting to work with...but as above, I can't really tell anything from the first shot. It could be an entrance to anywhere. Is there not a sign or logo that could have been included to give a sense of location?

Although the point of the photos is to show of their colourful lighting (which I like actually - looks like the kind of bar I'd happily spend some time in myself), I'd like to see #4 in black and white actually.

#1 doesn't do a lot for me to inspire me to visit the place - still trying to get my head around the concept of a bar with automatic doors! Might confuse the drunks on the way out pushing on a now retracted door!

Last edited:
Cafe%20126%20BW%20XDpp.jpg
Nice, I like that a lot. Is this a bar in Austria? I used to have a line manager in Vienna a few years ago but never wangled a trip there sadly but have been to St Anton in Tirol years ago.

That totally transforms the image for me a lot better imo

In your eye… I agree since your not distracted by the pizza of
colours and can better appreciate it.

The good thing for me is I paid to shoot it not to like it…
and otherwise I never go in bars.

I am generally not a fan of converting perfectly good color pictures to black & white but I think in this case it is the better option. I'm curious to know if you were shooting in manual or one of the other modes,

I am generally not a fan of converting perfectly good color pictures to black & white but I think in this case it is the better option

This capacity to be converted on the fly and without further slider
tweaks proves that…

to produce a successful conversion
one must start with the right colours!

curious to know if you were shooting in manual or one of the other modes,
I shot these in Aperture Priority Mode, since no flash were used,
and the histogram tells me how much EV compensation I should
use to optimize the take for the best possible SOOC.

Last edited:
Back