New camera advice please

Name
Stuart Gunn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey folks looking to get a new camera I currently own a canon eos 400d it's about six or seven years old and pictures quality has degraded. I would like to get a similar camera is there anything better now. I'd be looking at spending about five hundred pound. I like landscape and slo mo water shots so wanting something I can still adjust all settings on.

Do you have existing Canon lenses? In which case it might be better to stay with the same brand rather than replace a collection of lenses as well. Also I'm curious when you say picture quality has degraded. Is this compared to the images you used to get or do you mean relative to the images you see current cameras producing?

Sorry to ask questions rather than give answers but these may help people here understand more to give you better advice.

Roy

^ what he said. How much have you got invested in the Canon system, how many lenses and accesories have you collected over the years.

The only degragation in image quality I can think of would be sorted with a sensor clean. The camera world has moved on, but a 400D is still capable of taking a great image.

I've still got (and use) a 400D. As Alastair said, any degradation you're seeing is highly unlikely to be down to the sensor itself performing more poorly (unless you've really been abusing it). Mine is still as good as it was when I first bought it back then.

Sorry for not being clear got standard canon wide angle and a sigma telephoto. The picture quality has degraded I went into Jessops and they quoted me 225 pound for servicing lenses/camera. And that might not fix issue the gear was stored for a year or so and its got damp and the wide angle has a weird mark/growth/algae inside the lens. So thought maybe get new body/wide angle and keep telephoto

Sorry for not being clear got standard canon wide angle and a sigma telephoto. The picture quality has degraded I went into Jessops and they quoted me 225 pound for servicing lenses/camera. And that might not fix issue the gear was stored for a year or so and its got damp and the wide angle has a weird mark/growth/algae inside the lens. So thought maybe get new body/wide angle and keep telephoto

That helps. It sounds like you want to stay with Canon although if you've just got one other serviceable lens (the Sigma telephoto) then swapping systems possibly isn't going to be too much of a wrench. The Canon 600D with 18-55mm (which would give you your wide-angle albeit via a zoom) is probably slightly more than £500 brand new and a 1100D with 18-55mm less than £400. The 1100D is entry level but still has full control over exposure modes and has a 12MP sensor. Is the 18-55mm going to give you what you want or does your budget need include a direct replacement for the wide-angle lens that has been affected by fungus?

I'm not a Canon expert (Pentax is my system of choice) so there are members here better qualified to advise you if you are staying with Canon.

...or, if you'd consider used, then your £500 budget would bring in other options.

Your £500 budget would get you a Canon xxD body second hand rather than a xxxD new which would give you a better build quality, better fps and ISO handling and better ergonomics to make controlling it even easier. Not sure of Nikon equivalent body but you'd have to factor in at least one lens into your budget then. Have a look in the classified section if/when you can get access and you might just grab yourself a bargain.

Ok thanks for help and advice prob stay with canon I think and a lot of my shots are with the wide angle lens. Plenty of food for thought thanks again folks.

second hand canon 50D in the classifieds for £290 (not mine by the way)

Canon 5D off ebay for £400 -500. The 5d Is full frame semi pro and is a workhorse of many a avid photographer. Tough too.

Back