new camera body

Edit My Images
No
I need some :help: with the following query.

I've just been to a wedding recently, as the bride wanted me to take some shots as a second tog.
I met up with the main pro tog there and we got chatting about photography. He had an assistant using
a 30d and he was using a 5d. He was talking about how much better the 5d was compaired to the 30d
but really didnt answer my question.
Now ive been thinking of upgrading to a 5d for a while now as I do portraits and
want to get into the wedding business. My main query is ive seen info on this site about the differences
in sensor size on the 5d but if you could compair two identical images from the 5d and the 30d,
would you notice any difference in the quality of the image produced by both cameras.
I know the 5d handles noise really well and the larger sensor can be a plus, but would there be any difference
in the final image produced to look at?

Plus now the 40d is out with new specs would it be benificial having this over the 5d.

your advice is much appreciated

........ if you could compair two identical images from the 5d and the 30d,
would you notice any difference in the quality of the image produced by both cameras......
........ but would there be any difference
in the final image produced to look at?

I rarely take portraits so maybe I'm not the right person to advise here. I do however have a couple of 30D's and a 5D.
The 5 wins hands down in the tones it produces and copes much better with all the subtle detail in the lesser lit areas..... this also manifests itself in the bokeh...almost mystical.
It doesn't have it all its own way though and the 30D produces better macro images (except with the 180). I haven't had too much time with moving targets with the 5D yet but I suspect that the sharpness of the 30D might give a more pleasing result...depends what you consider to be a good shot....crisp or heavily toned.

Bob

If you have the money for a 5D sitting around then buy it there's no question it's the better camera. The 40D will still be a humungus step up from your 350 though and you certainly wouldn't be disappointed with it, my 30D still knocks my socks off after 8 months of ownership.

Back