New camera, cheap website??

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a 5d mk3 either used or new. A used one from mob or camera jungle with about 10,000 shots in excellent condition is about £1500.

There are some websites selling new ones for the same price, £1500. But are they genuine do you think? Sites like eglobalcentral, tobydeals and techinthe basket.

Would you buy new from these sites or go for a relatively new used one from a reputable 2nd hand retailer??

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks.

Mike

I've used eGlobalCentral. They are genuine but be aware that if you have any warranty issues the camera will have to be sent back to Hong Kong. They will then take several weeks to diagnose the issue and in my case they couldn't replicate the problem I was having so I also had to pay for the camera to be returned to me. At no point did they send the camera to an official Olympus repair person as far as I know.

So knowing this I wouldn't bother sending anything off to them for a fix under warranty - assume that you will have fund any repair yourself even if your purchase is still in the warranty period.

Official Olympus support in the EU is great by the way.

Official Olympus support in the EU is great by the way.

My experience was rather different and I would never buy another Olympus because of that, however good the kit was alleged to be.

I maybe wrong, but the original post I think refers to a canon camera, and the replies harp on about Olympus, am I mistaken, or have I missed something.

Personally I have never heard of the companies you mention, however paramoz does have a half tidy reputation on this forum, though I prefer to buy from my LPS if I can get a decent deal. I have bought used from Camera Jungle and been pleased with my purchase.

Last edited:
I maybe wrong, but the original post I think refers to a canon camera, and the replies harp on about Olympus, am I mistaken, or have I missed something.

I was relaying my experience with buying an Olympus body from eGlobalCentral, which the OP is considering buying from. My point was that eGlobalCentral don't seem to use authorised Olympus repairers for any warranty issue. The same will probably apply if you buy Canon from them and there is an issue. So the lower price they charge reflects the fact that after-sales support is poor. Hence you may be better off buying new from Panamoz or second hand from MPB.

Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll steer clear of the cheap websites. So its either used or panamoz by the looks of it.

Are you genuinely likely to use all the features of a 5D III? Have you thought about a 6D instead? It's smaller, lighter, has slightly better low light/high ISO capability (including locking on to focus in low light), WiFi, GPS, and produces image quality that I doubt you could differentiate from that of a 5D III, and you could end up with a brand new camera and save quite a bit of money too (perhaps enough for another lens, or certainly a good start towards one!)? Maybe have a go with one and see what you think before deciding which one to go for.

If it were between a 6D and a 5D IV and price difference wasn't an issue, it would be no contest, but when weighing up my options around 3 years ago I chose the 6D as I just couldn't justify paying the extra for a 5D III for the sort of photography I did. Hope this is useful and best of luck finding the right camera. (y)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Think I'll steer clear of the cheap websites. So its either used or panamoz by the looks of it.

Panamoz all day long. Loads of good positive feedback on here.
About 8 or 9 of us bought D500's in the last couple of months, all delivered in three days usually and with three year warranty.

This could be obvious but I would trust anyone on the forum here any day of the week and twice on a Sunday so would be great to keep any eye here if anyone's selling what you may be after.

Are you genuinely likely to use all the features of a 5D III? Have you thought about a 6D instead? It's smaller, lighter, has slightly better low light/high ISO capability (including locking on to focus in low light), WiFi, GPS, and produces image quality that I doubt you could differentiate from that of a 5D III, and you could end up with a brand new camera and save quite a bit of money too (perhaps enough for another lens, or certainly a good start towards one!)? Maybe have a go with one and see what you think before deciding which one to go for.

If it were between a 6D and a 5D IV and price difference wasn't an issue, it would be no contest, but when weighing up my options around 3 years ago I chose the 6D as I just couldn't justify paying the extra for a 5D III for the sort of photography I did. Hope this is useful and best of luck finding the right camera. (y)
I have been questioning this for a while now. I shot a wide range of things. From Motorsport (probably keep my 70d for this) to landscapes, people etc. My only concern with the 6d is the limited focus points, especially only a single cross point. Would this be a hindrance when trying to photograph my neice and nephews when they are running around??

With cross points I seem to remember reading that it depends on the aperture of the lens as to how long they remain functioning as cross points (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)? If that's the case, I'd probably rather have one single cross point that worked well, than several more 'part time' cross points. Also, who says the cross point that locks on to focus will actually be the one that you need for that particular shot? :confused: Maybe someone else can add to this or clarify things?

I've not used my 6D on fast moving subjects so can't say if it will cope with fast moving kids, maybe have a read through this thread and see what you think: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/should-i-buy-a-new-canon-6d.653459/#post-7820421 You could always send a private message to one or more of the people who've posted on that and ask them what they think? Or perhaps consider hiring or borrowing a 6D and a 5D Mk III and see for yourself which you prefer?

In the end, it will depend on what you want and need from the camera as to which one is better for you, but I just thought I'd mention the 6D as a possible option in case you'd not considered it. As I said, best of luck choosing. :)

Last edited:
With cross points I seem to remember reading that it depends on the aperture of the lens as to how long they remain functioning as cross points (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!)? If that's the case, I'd probably rather have one single cross point that worked well, than several more 'part time' cross points. Also, who says the cross point that locks on to focus will actually be the one that you need for that particular shot? :confused: Maybe someone else can add to this or clarify things?

I've not used my 6D on fast moving subjects so can't say if it will cope with fast moving kids, maybe have a read through this thread and see what you think: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/should-i-buy-a-new-canon-6d.653459/#post-7820421 You could always send a private message to one or more of the people who've posted on that and ask them what they think? Or perhaps consider hiring or borrowing a 6D and a 5D Mk III and see for yourself which you prefer?

In the end, it will depend on what you want and need from the camera as to which one is better for you, but I just thought I'd mention the 6D as a possible option in case you'd not considered it. As I said, best of luck choosing. :)
Thanks for the input. I underatand what you are saying. I'll do a bit more reading before I place my order :)

Opted for the 6d. £1025 from panamoz. Can't wait for it to arrive now! Thanks for the help :)

That's got to be good value for money at today's exchange rate prices! Also, when you've put 10,000 shots on your new 6D you'll be able to think to yourself "I've had the pleasure of putting all those shots on there, it's where I would have been with a second-hand 5D Mk III before I'd even pressed the shutter button once... and I'm about £500 up on the deal too"! Now, if that doesn't make you smile I don't know what will! :DAnyway, I hope you enjoy using the 6D as much as I have, keep us posted on how you get on. (y)

Last edited:
Back