new camera choices?

Name
Richard Black
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, i'm looking for a new camera. I currently own a D50
I don't tihnk the D80 would be a big enough jump really.
I've thought about the D200 and D300. I keep thinking if i got a D200 I'd just wonder if i could have done better with the D300?

Wheres the cheapest place to get the D300 and D200? Body only as i already have a 24-70mm F2.8 and 70-200mm F2.8

Whats the pros and cons of each really?

Cheers. Any advice welcome really.

Warning: Entirely uneducated, inexperienced and highly opinionated comments to follow.

Going by the reviews in the magazines, the D300 really is a very good camera. It's meant to be better than the Canon 40D (which most magazines really seem to rate very highly), and - in terms of future options - the D3 currently betters the 1D by quite some margin in noise and image quality, so sticking with Nikon sounds like a good idea.

If you can afford the D300, go for it ... I'd imagine you would regret the D200. I'm pleased I went for the 40D over a secondhand 30D, definitely. Although the image quality difference isn't much, the advanced features from the newer model are always nice to have.

Sorry no advice from me but funny enough I have the same dilemma, have a D50 currently thought about a D80 but doesn't feel like a big enough upgrade, can't really justify a D300 as I am just not good enough to use the extra features so was consdering a good value D200 if I can find one somewhere???? Will be interested on any advice, comments on your question though?

Cant decide, i'd like the D300 for extras and options plus its ability to cope with noise better.

I have some canons, a 1d II and a 5d. The only Nikon I've ever actually used was the D200 and I thought it was great.

make of that what you will. :D

But if you'd played with a d300 woudl you think. WOW? lol

Doubt it, cameras don't WOW me, pictures do. ;)

Seriously, buying into the latest digi camera is not usually a smart idea. The 200 is likely to be a far better deal right now than a 300. When the 200 came out I'm sure that lots of people must have hailed it as the best thing ever and rushed out to hand over vast sums of money for one.

They would have then gone out, made images, posted them in places like this and we'd have all enjoyed them.

The arrival of the 300 won't have taken anything away from the 200, it's still going to be a great camera. :)

I like your way of thinking Daz, Perhaps i should make that my weapon of choice. At the end of the day its still a far better camera than the D50?

FWIW I upgraded my D50 to a D200 (bought a DIY kit from e-bay ;) ) and I'm glad I did. I pondered on waiting for the D300 but the price difference put me off.

The main differences for me (both good and bad) are:
* More accurate and faster AF (dependant upon lens of course).
* Higher burst rate handy for wildlife shots (boy can squirrels run fast)
* Noise above ISO800 still not fantastic but usable
* No more delving into menus for bracketing or changing metering modes
* Slightly worse battery life
* Heavier
* Had to change from SD to CF

Glad I got the D200 though - even if it does weigh a tonne 8)

Hi,

If you step up to either D200 or D300 then you will be stepping up a league in camera.

I've been using a D200 for over a year now, and its an excellent bit of kit, the AF / Metering are awesome, I agree on the battery life, but its fine with the grip added.

The D300 takes it a step further, its basically a D3 without the full frame sensor, which makes another step up from the D200. I have a D300 on order, should be with me soon.

Look around your should get some deals on the D200, you won't be dissapointed.

So i should deffinitly consider the 200? I suppose i can always sell that on and get a D300 if i feel the 200 was a bad choice?

My worry is i won't notice the difference really. Is it any better in low light conditions? I certainly like the fact its weather protected and stronger. Always my worry about taking the D50 out.
I've just read a review on D200 vs 5D and it apparently was a better option over the 5d cause of value for money and pictures being just as good.

A D80 is still a decent step up from a D50....

I just bought a 2nd hand D200 body from Parks, for £30 more than the price of a new D80 body. You'll find the D200 a huge jump from the D50, but don't despair, just be prepared to do a lot of reading....

FWIW, my old man has a D300, and I really couldn't justify(let alone afford!) the extra £500 over a used D200;)

Thats what i needed to hear red. Reet now to track down a decently priced D200. As i'll need a spare battery and memory card.

Not really. :)

I have 7500 on my D50 after a year and a bit of fairly regular use so 21k does sound a fair few even if 2-3 years old???

Bought a D200 tonight. So fingers crossed should be good.

Paid 497 posted, got it off here in the forsale section fella.
Cant wait for it to come!

Nictry there are loads on ebay.

Nictry there are loads on ebay.

I know, just not totally trusting of Ebay and you never really know what you are getting, at least on here you have a greater sense of trust with who you are dealing with

Very true fella.

Back