New camera dilemma

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
This isn't a post about which camera to buy, but where to buy.

I could buy brand new (just), but i can save a whole heap of money buying used, nearly all of my camera gear I've bought so far has been used and I've never had a problem (touch wood).
I could also buy a grey import for about the same price as used and have a 3yr warranty (well according to panamoz). Now the warranty gives me piece of mind that should the camera go wrong, it'll get fixed, but i have an ethical problem here with I'm not particularly comfortable with cheating the HMRC out of money. It might just be me, I like to think I'm a law abiding citizen, who tries to do things right.
A new camera is quite a big out lay and I don't want to be stuck with a repair bill a few months or year down the line.
I don't really know if I'm looking for answers, but maybe some advise.

P.s if I do by used it'll probably be from mpb or such like, so there would be a bit of warranty.

You don't say what you're after but ultimately only you can make the final decision.

Using the body I currently have (80D) just as an example, the cheapest UK-sourced is £999, grey from HDEW is £625 and used but described as "like new" from MPB is £769, so there's big savings to be had, depending on where your morals are. If it were me, right here, right now, wanting another 80D I'd get a used one, although probably save a bit more by going for one of those described as "excellent" rather than the most expensive.

I’m with Steve.

If you have a conscience buy a new UK one. Depending on what you’re after you might find some cash back deals.

Camera Jungle provide a 12 month warranty, which is as much as you would get with many UK suppliers of new.
Of course you have no guarantee that buying used equipment doesn't get you equipment which was purchased from the 'grey' market in the first place.

Camera Jungle provide a 12 month warranty, which is as much as you would get with many UK suppliers of new.
Of course you have no guarantee that buying used equipment doesn't get you equipment which was purchased from the 'grey' market in the first place.

Very true. I recently sold a system of camera and 4 lens to a used equipment seller. A couple of the items were grey and like all my kit usually is, it was all in an excellent condition. I told the purchaser where all the items came from. They bought the lot and have no doubt sold it on now with no indications as to where the two lenses originated from.

If you have an issue with buying grey then don't buy it, but as others mentioned it's becoming harder and harder to check if used equipment is grey or not. I've queried some shops about their used equipment and they've not known whether it's grey or not (or maybe they do know and they don't want to say). Therefore the only way you can guarantee that it's not grey is to buy new from a reputable dealer. Does it matter if you buy something used that turns out to be grey, knowing that it was the original purchaser that 'cheated' HMRC only you can decide (y)

If you have an issue with buying grey then don't buy it, but as others mentioned it's becoming harder and harder to check if used equipment is grey or not. I've queried some shops about their used equipment and they've not known whether it's grey or not (or maybe they do know and they don't want to say). Therefore the only way you can guarantee that it's not grey is to buy new from a reputable dealer.

A good check is if the retailer is on the manufacturer promotions (cashback or other incentive list), they will then be 'proper authorised dealers'

If you are buying secondhand from a UK dealer, then at least VAT is being paid on either the purchase price or the margin. You can't generally know (or do anything about) the tax status of the original purchase, and you're not personally benefiting from any tax evasion that may have occurred (a secondhand 'grey' item won't generally be cheaper than original UK stock).

If you have an issue with buying grey then don't buy it, but as others mentioned it's becoming harder and harder to check if used equipment is grey or not. I've queried some shops about their used equipment and they've not known whether it's grey or not (or maybe they do know and they don't want to say). Therefore the only way you can guarantee that it's not grey is to buy new from a reputable dealer. Does it matter if you buy something used that turns out to be grey, knowing that it was the original purchaser that 'cheated' HMRC only you can decide (y)

If I buy used and it turns out to be a grey, well so be it, I guess I'm still paying vat. It isn't the fact that the camera wasn't intended for the British market, more a fact I don't like to cheat (I'd never make a professional footballer, I'd never fall over in agony and jump up once I'd got the penalty).

I'd forgotten about Camera jungle. Am I right in thinking that they are part of Jessops?

A good check is if the retailer is on the manufacturer promotions (cashback or other incentive list), they will then be 'proper authorised dealers'
That's OK for new, but for used these same retailers haven't always known if a used item they have is grey or not (y)

If you are buying secondhand from a UK dealer, then at least VAT is being paid on either the purchase price or the margin. You can't generally know (or do anything about) the tax status of the original purchase, and you're not personally benefiting from any tax evasion that may have occurred (a secondhand 'grey' item won't generally be cheaper than original UK stock).

A really great reason to buy from ebay or this forum's own classifieds

You know you can just write a cheque to the government. No purchase necessary.

Back