New camera - first photo

Edit My Images
Yes
I bought my first DSLR yesterday - an Olympus E-510.

I have SO much to learn. My first pictures just haven't been sharp which I guess may be because of not being used to a slightly heavier camera, new settings etc. There is also a much more distinctive "clunk" (than I am used to) when depressing the shutter - might I be moving the camera slightly when taking each shot causing blur???

This is my first photo:

P7220195_edited-4.jpg

Your comments and critique gratefully received !!

Polly

Bloomin good for a first photo. Doesnt look blured to me? Perhaps if it was facing you it would be a little more interesting? I'm new on the D-SLR scene too, its addictive to say the least. Try experimenting with shutter speeds etc to minimise blur.

That's a real nice portrait of a Canada Goose Polly ... (y) ... the eye (the important bit in portraits) seems to be pretty sharp imgo ... :D

As a first photo you have managed to capture a difficult subject ... light and dark areas ... very well ... ;)

Only thing I would suggest for future reference is to try and have a little more space to the front of your subject for it to 'look into' ... :thinking:

Otherwise keep 'em coming and you can only get better ... :shrug:

:p

Looks ok to me - the eye is in focus [1]. The far end of the beak is slightly off, but that's because of the depth of field you got from a reasonably low f number (5.6). Agree about the composition comments, but there's some nice detail there in the head.

[1] anyone who takes wildlife photos will tell you that this is the most important thing to get right. It is. But then there is a temptation simply to take the pic with the eye in the middle of the frame (as you have done). Try and focus on the eye, keep the shutter pressed 1/2 way down and then see if you can recompose to get more interest. Then fire the shutter.

If this is a sample of whats to come then we are in for a treat!..great first shot well done..just experiment and enjoy!...

I'm feeling a bit of a fraud..... when I say first shot I mean first shot that is half way reasonable enough to post !!

Question for Mobilevirgin (or anyone else for that matter) - where did you find the exif data for my photo? In other words how do you know it was F5.6 ???

Thanks very much for all your helpful advice and comments.

Back