New Camera / new forum

Name
David Booth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone
Dave here with a thank you for the advice / suggestions I'd read through on this forum, before deciding on getting my new toy recently - a Sony DSC-RX10M4.

I'd had my eyes on one for some time, but couldn't decide on where to get one from (grey market or highstreet). Finally made my mind up after reading various comments on here (and elsewhere) ... you definitely have some "characters" on here ... I'll watch my mouth n' comments & hopefully not incur the wrath of certain folk :rolleyes: Anyway, I finally found one by accident on Jessops site - Ex Demonstration with 25% further discount. Expected some marks / scratches, but on arrival - it's pristine !! Whoohoooo. Love a bargain.

So, time to learn all the in's n' out's of this hefty marvel. I've previously been using a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 for the last few years, so have a little experience with multi-menu cameras. Just bought the Alexander White guide last night for the RX10M4 and so far I think it's going to be essential. Thanks for the tip for that too, from this forum (y)

Looking forward to chatting with you all. I believe Dibbly Dobbler / Mike Smith might get a few questions thrown his way from me in the near future, along with everyone else :giggle:

Any tips / suggestions regarding essential accessories would be appreciated, and I'll be researching on the forum ASAP when I've put the new toy down for 5 minutes ! I'm thinking of filters - UV, polarising and graduated ND?? I always kept a clear (otherwise non-functional) lens cover on my Panasonic Lumix. Rather scratch that than the lens.

Cheers,
Dave / RedDwarf (I had an old red MG Midget as my first car)

Last edited:
Cheers Les ... I do believe I'm going to ;)
I was just going through "My most viewed photo on Flickr" and spotted your shots. Nice (y)

Last edited:
Sony DSC-RX10M4 or other model?
Hmm ok here goes:

Bodies
Sony a7Riv I have 2 of these
Sony a7Riii

Lenses
Sony 24mm f1.4 G Lens
Sony 24-70mm f4 lens
Sony 50mm f1.8 lens
Sony 85mm f1.4 G lens
Sony 90mm Macro f2.8 lens
Sony 70-200mm f.28 version
Sony 100-400mm G lens
Sony 200-600mm FE lens
Sony 1.4x Teleconverter

3 flashgun's Triggers
Carbon fibre Manfrotto tripod - Carbon fibre Benro monopod - Gimbal heads x 2

Hope that helps?

Les :)

My images can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184767280@N02/

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot to mention a wheelbarrow ;)
That's some impressive bit of kit, Les !! Hopefully I'll learn a few tips from you along the way :giggle:

Welcome David :D I had a blue MG Midget, it was my first open car but not my first car.

Accessories? How about a bag? Most people here seem to have 30 or 40 and it seems to be the most asked about and talked about accessory. You will no doubt think of other accessories along the way but one I'd recommend thinking about is the free version of Nik Filters which I had for quite a while without bothering with but recently I seem to be using it more. If you Google you'll find the free version and if not someone here will point you in the right direction.

Have fun! :D

PS.
There may be a thread about your camera in the gear section but if not take a peek in the Amazing Sony thread.

Welcome to TP David. :wave:

The best advice for buying accessories, is to only buy what you NEED when you actually need it.

As Alan has said, a bag is a worthwhile first purchase - a waterproof one even better. You will of course need a larger one eventually, but you'll always have use for a small bag.

Welcome to TP David. :wave:

The best advice for buying accessories, is to only buy what you NEED when you actually need it.

As Alan has said, a bag is a worthwhile first purchase - a waterproof one even better. You will of course need a larger one eventually, but you'll always have use for a small bag.

One? One??? Can any of us make do with one?

:D

Oh, and I'd suggest some nice cleaning cloths and perhaps a lens pen or small brush or something and a spare battery maybe?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum David, enjoy yourself here :wave:

:fuji:

The search for the perfect camera bag, a very elusive creature for sure ;)

Hello again, and thanks for the tips. Just out shopping now.
My previous waterproof bag fits the Sony perfectly so I'll stick with that for now before buying another 9 !!!
Lens cloths & poofer, tripod, sorted
I'll be looking at opinions on forum for filters. Cheers for advice on Nic Filters & the Gear thread ... I'll look them both up, ta.

Hi David, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy"

Back