New camera - Nikon advice

Edit My Images
No
A friend is purchasing a Nikon D7000 and has some queries; given I shoot Canon I don't know a great deal about Nikon other than they currently seem to be leading the noise compression (just) and the lens makers seem obsessed with extra letters!

Lens wise he's going for the 18-105 kit which seems to be fairly decent; and is much more handy than an 18-55.

Zoom wise looking at their the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens or Nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G AF-S VR IF-ED Lens.

The latter seems to be more expensive, but is it worth the extra when losing a small amount of the wider end?

Main camera uses are holidays (including honeymoon on a crusie around Iceland/Norway ie: Northern Lights) and also animals/pets, and small children.

In terms of accessories is one of these easyCover silicone things that goes over the whole camera worth it? Personally I'd go for just a decent bag.
Nikon seem to do these flip covers (BM-11); I've never actually seen one in use. Do they get in the way? Would one of the normal protective films be better?

Thanks for any feedback!

I have a D7000, I moved up from the D5000 with an 18-55 kit lens, which I actually miss as it was nice and light and small, but the 18-105 seems an ok kit lens to be fair.

I'm also looking at the 70-300 VR lens presently, so will be interested to see what others say. The 55-300 has Nikon cashback at the minute, and is lighter and smaller than the 70-300 if that's a consideration.

The BM11 cover is a nuisance when there is reflective light, and although I leave it on the camera to protect the screen, I do find I need to remove it sometimes to see better.

I'd also mention that I found the 35mm AF-S lens useful on a recent cruise for night time without flash shots as it's much better in low light than the kit lens.

I am relatively new to the d7000 and went with the 18-105 kit lens, it seems pretty decent to me, but I do find myself thinking a bit more reach would be useful...next on my list is the 35mm though

Re. Case I got myself a lowepro urban sling 250....it's a little on the large size for what I have and I guess the slightly smaller version would have been a good fit although not spare room for as much in the lens department....personally I don't see a need for the silicone doo-dahs. I have em on other non-camera kit and they seem to attract bits of fluff...

Thanks guys, is that the f1.8G 35mm you're happy with Simon? Top of my recommendation list would be the Sigma 30mm f1.4 as I'm happy with the Canon version; but that is a lot more expensive.

It is indeed, it's a nice cheap but effective lens, I was amazed how good it is in low light (I'm not too keen on flash you see!) I think that lens has cashback as well, so it's a good time to buy.

Back