Beginner New camera or lenses?

Edit My Images
No
Hi there!looking for advice on a couple of questions.I have had my Nikon D60 since we got married 10 years ago.I've only used it for your everyday family and let snaps but want to look into going further with my photography.I'd like to do lots more portraits, wildlife,scenery as I'm close ups of flowers/animals/birds
What I need to know is I'd like to stay with nikon,so if I wanted to upgrade my camera what would you guys recommend?.bearing in mind If like to get something that would see me progress with a view to making a hobby a bit more serious. The next question is......lenses.i currently have a 50mm and a 18-55mm.i was looking at the 70-300mm lens for the wildlife side of it and maybe for a little bit of sport.any other recommendations would be really helpful.ideally I'm looking at lenses which are compatible with my d60 and any future camera.hope these don't come across as silly questions!

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

A 70-300 seems like a sensible choice, the better ones are the Nikon 70-300 VR or the Tamron 70-300 VC, they are a little more expensive than the cheapies but are worth the extra and will work well on any future Nikon camera you may buy.

Get a longer lens so you can get some practice in, then you'll know what your future upgrade paths are.

You could spend a grand or ten grand on gear, it'll not make you a better photographer. Get out and shoot plenty, and find out whether you really do want to be more serious about it.

Get a longer lens so you can get some practice in, then you'll know what your future upgrade paths are.

You could spend a grand or ten grand on gear, it'll not make you a better photographer. Get out and shoot plenty, and find out whether you really do want to be more serious about it.

Hi Phil,thanks for the reply.would you recommend a longer lens?

Hi Phil,thanks for the reply.would you recommend a longer lens?

If you want to shoot wildlife and sports, you'll need one.

Please be aware though, a 300mm lens is a minimum for wildlife, if you really want to shoot birds etc, it gets a lot more expensive.

And if you're getting serious about sports, a faster lens will be invaluable, again, the costs increase.

That's why I suggested baby steps until you find your niche.

Back