New camera quandary!

Edit My Images
No
In a bit of a quandary, thinking of upgrading my Canon 700D and don’t know what to choose from.

I would like a significant upgrade and so far have identified the 80D, 7D MKII and 6D MKII.

I take mainly sea and landscape shots often using long exposure. The 80D seems like quite a good upgrade (or is it really a significant upgrade over the 700D and worth the 1K investment over the 700D?).

The 7D MKII, is quite a bit more pricey and I don’t take fast moving shots most of the time so not sure if it is a big jump from the 80D in terms of quality/upgrade despite lower pixel count or even necessary?

I would have probably have gone for the 6D MKII but read that it suffers from poor dynamic range which has put me off. I do tend to shoot at the 16-20mm focal length most of the time so full frame may have been a good upgrade.

Or do I ditch the Canon and go for a Nikon and sell my lenses because Nikon seems cheaper for what you get although I do like Canon lenses and would need to sell mine. My current lenses are 16-35mm f4 L and 24-104mm F4 L). I use the 16-35mm virtually all the time and love it.

The 5D MKIV would be my preferred option (I am sure most would concur) but the price is very step for somebody who is only an enthusiast and would be a large investment and probably not worth it?

Any thoughts, views or first-hand experience would be most welcome.

Pentax K1 II. Worth a look. Regarded as a landscape togs camera.

How about a used Sony a7r (I or II), with the right adapter you can still use your lens but gain a very significant sensor upgrade? Not something I have used directly but I have a very similar sensor in a D810 and can’t fault it.

I think switching systems really depends on what you already have and how invested you are in your current system. The controls on a Nikon are quite different in usability terms than a Canon and may not suit. I know some who just cannot get on with the way Nikons are laid out, and vice versa.

I shoot with Nikon and have used a 5DMk III as well as briefly a few others (6D mk 1 plus some older crop sensor cameras). I think we can get too caught up in measured dynamic range, I've seen some truly spectacular images produced on 6d's so I wouldn't worry over much. In many other ways it will be a step up, particularly in lower light. Your lenses would also be wider (ok, they won't, but the field of view will) if you go 6D ... or of course 5DMkIV - if you can afford the 5DMkIV that is probably the best shot. Having said that Nikons are ahead of Canon in terms of sensor performance, but I'm not entirely sure that makes that much in practice.

Not entirely sure why you think Nikon lenses are cheaper either, the ones I want need are fiercely expensive.

What is your existing camera not doing that you feel the need to upgrade?
This, 100%. If you can't articulate why your current camera is inadequate, we can't give you much by way of reasoned suggestions.

What is your existing camera not doing that you feel the need to upgrade?

To be honest nothing really requiring a "need" for an upgrade (is that wrong?) I've had it a few years now and my photography has improved in that time also. In many ways full frame is more desirable because I do struggle at times to get everything in the shot I would like. Taking a couple of shots and stitching is one way around it if changing position/composition isn't an option (architectural). I would have gone for the 6D MKII but reviews suggesting poor dynamic range has soured that for me.

Aside from that, I would like to begin printing some some pics at A3 size and would like an improvement on image quality. I would hope quality has improved over the last few years? Better dynamic range would be good as I know my cousins Nikon (crop sensor) is much better in this respect over my Canon which at times requires bracketing to compensate for difficult contrasts.
All of the above dont warrant a specific need but despite that, an upgrade is something I would like to make.

Your 700D is more than capable of excellent prints at A3. If you want to fit more in a frame, you need a wider angle lens, not a full frame sensor.

I upgraded my 650D for an 80D and the increase in image quality is quite impressive - particularly photographing inside dark buildings.

Last edited:
Used low usage 6d mk 1 for about £700+. Don't listen to what anyone says about dynamic range and nonsense. 6d mk 1 is much better than stats and figures on paper show.

You have got very good lenses designed for full frame but are not making full use of them on your crop camera.
It appears from reading your original post that they are not wide enough.
So either get lenses for a crop camera or get a Full frame camera,for my money keep the lenses and get a used 5D mark 3

Without swapping systems, you appear to have fallen into an error of the digital age which has left you with 3 significant proplems.
  • You want an upgrade but don’t really know why (nowt wrong with buying gear, it’s your money, but it’s not helping your decision.
  • You’ve bought the ‘best’ lenses for your subject not for your camera, they’re simply nipot suitable for a crop camera, so you either need to swap camera, lenses or both.
  • You’ve read the DR on the 6dII is inferior, even though it’s an improvement on what you have and all the other crop cameras on your list and over base ISO isn’t noticeably worse than the FF alternatives.

If sticking with Canon, the obvious choice is between a used 5dIII, a cheaper 6d, or a 6dII. They’ll all make the best use of your lenses, they all have points that make them better than each other:
5dIII Build quality and speed
6d price
6dII most of the advantages of the 5dIII with a flappy screen and all the selling points of the 6d (WiFi etc)

The choice depends on your priorities, I’ve a couple of 6d’s I’d swap them for the mk2 in a heartbeat for the improved AF, but the weight of the 5 series is an issue for my old arthritic hands.

Back