New camera thoughts

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I'm worried about the continued cost of replacing my 10D's shutter. I'm annoyed with its slow buffer speed and inability to access the menu while its empties said buffer to the card. I need better ISO performance in low light. Those are my main 2 issues really. Buffer speed preventing me from taking more shots and ISO performance preventing me from getting shots. So I'm thinking 30D. While I could probably get a used 20D off ebay I wouldn't trust it with my clients. People are saying to wait for the 40D but events like this weekend really annoy me. Standing around waiting for the 10D to finish up so I can take another shot. I can imagine that with my next camera I'd be doing the same, unless it was a 1Ds ;)

I must admit that the 5D is bouncing around in my head. But thats slower than the 30D on something. I couldn't actually afford a 5D anyway :) I'm just wondering if the 30D will really alliviate these issues for the time being? I did have a quick play with Kate's and I was pretty much sold. However, after using my 10D since then I've forgotten how good it really was. I guess the problem is that I try to shoot everything and anything. The past week its been gigs, events, street photography and models ranging from 10mm to 400mm :)

If that offer holds I could potentially get a 30D for £680 and that will tide me over until the 40D comes out and drops in price after the initial boom. Then I could get a 40D and I would have 2 nice bodies for use. I know for a fact that come Nov I'll be shooting Liverpool Music Week again which is what it says on the tin. About 130 acts over a week. I managed last year but things slowly start to get to you. Buffer buffer buffer buffer :) Ho hum....

I think TBH the 30 is looking as the ideal candidate.

You've said yourself the 5D isn't affordable, the 40 is at least 18 months away, and the 20...well I suppose you could always buy a Canon refurb, but still...would you want to trust it?

I was going to say if you come to Chester Zoo you're more than welcome to have a good play with my 30D, but I see you've have a dabble with Kates. Did you get chance to play with them side by side?

Yeah I did. I fired off a few shots and was like "OMG thats quick" and the speed it wrote to the card was also very quick. I'm the kind of person that needs to make the right decision. I don't like to regret or wonder what if. It was somewhat easier when I went from my A70 to 10D. There was only the D70, 10D and 300D to choose from. 300D was plastic and missing features I might want some day. D70 wasn't *as* good as the 10D. Photographers I looked up to had the 10D. Job done. There was no way I was going for a £2k camera back then. Now its 30D, 5D, maybe a 1D or go completely nuts and swap to the D200. After seeing a D1x in action theres a few features I want. Specifically the zoom in feature. Very slick. I think I just need confirmation really :) I could possibly order the 30D this week. As fun as it is to buy new toys, I know from experience that I shouldn't rush into things :)

Get a 30D.
When the 40D is launched next Feb/March it will initially be selling for a high price; when it reduces you can sell your 10D and upgrade.

The RAW buffer on the 30D is 11 frames, it’s a lot faster than your 10D (10D - approx 2mb sec, 30D - 6.5mb sec) and also the camera does not ‘lock up’ when it’s writing to the buffer so you can view shots on the LCD etc

Keep the 10D as a backup 'in case' and sell on the 30D if it turns out to be no good for you? Bear in mind you'll want a battery grip etc as well.

Oh yeah, the 10D isn't going anywhere. Its going to be a 2nd body for shoots. The 30D isn't going to be a straight £700. 30D, battery grip, new 2gb card, hand grip, spare battery, partridge, pair tree and furry dice.

Furry dice wins it for me, I can't see why you are still waiting :)

Looking at it in the simplest terms - you need a replacement/backup body, or atleast you feel that your work would benefit if your camera had features that you can get.

Personally I would go for the 30D, Nikon route is worthy of consideration if it supplies features you desire - however it will make the upgrade alot more expensive once lenses, flashes, batteries, etc are thrown in.

You could wait for a 40D but theres no guarantee it will be released early next year - it could be delayed or it might not even happen, at which point you buy a camera that is even closer to being replaced than if you bought it now (or soon).

If the 30D has the feature set you want, aswell as features you need now your work will only be suffering for aslong as you delay, the prices for this level of camera are a bargain and had I been buying a camera now this would be at the top of the list.

Always easy to spend other peoples money, but you are working as a pro now and your camera is your tool, for most of us its PITA if we have a fault, for you its your income and your reputation (aswell as a PITA). I dont want to discount Ebay but in your shoes I would seriously want warranties and to know that my gear has been well looked after rather than something that some other pro's burnt out before moving on.

I agree entirely Warspite. Nikon was just a passing thought after spending the weekend with 20yr photography veterans and their D2x's. The main thoughts running through my head are "what if it breaks again?" Hopefully I'll be ordering it this Thurs / Fri. I'll then be able to have my 24-70 on the 10D and 100-400 on the 30D \o/

The 30D is an outstanding photographers camera and I wouldn't see any need to replace it until it wears out, esp. not for a 40D whenever that comes along. You don't need a grip and the handling is great. Only if you want the portrait feature or cant be ar*ed doing a quick battery swap. You can get cheap batteries and CF cards from 7 day shop, not super fast but easily do the job. Same with a hand strap. Ebay 3rd party ones are better than the Canon version too.

I do need the grip. After the first weekend using my 100-400 I went out and brought the grip. Its so much easier to use with it. Having 2 batteries in is also very handy as I never need to swap them. I've also started using the portrait feature more.

Back