New camera

Name
Danielle
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,
Im new here. I am looking to move more professionally onto the area and wanted to change camera but choice too much snd I’m abit overwhelmed. I have a Nikon d3500. I’m looking at Sony A iiii which is same mp as Nikon however mirrorless.
I guess why I’m asking is as mirrorless should it be better quality that Nikon ?
Danielle
:)

your current camera is already pretty decent, no? What do you mean by more professionally and what quality improvements are you looking for? I’d think carefully about it before switching system and lenses etc.

Hi Danielle and welcome to TP.

It might help if you gave some context to why you are looking at new/different gear.

What is it about your current gear that is holding you back?

What genres of photography do you like/intend to shoot?

With the research you have done so far, what is it about that that you are finding overwhelming?

Lastly, do please bear in mind that new gear will not as such improve your photography....so perhaps share some of your images for mutual discussion and constructive feedback. Nobody here at TP bites ;)

Hi guys,
Im new here. I am looking to move more professionally onto the area and wanted to change camera but choice too much snd I’m abit overwhelmed. I have a Nikon d3500. I’m looking at Sony A iiii which is same mp as Nikon however mirrorless.
I guess why I’m asking is as mirrorless should it be better quality that Nikon ?
Danielle
:)
Sony a7iiii ? Do you mean Sony a7iii ?

I too am a little confused about why you find it overwhelming and why you feel the need to change systems - which in it self will be expensive

welcome to TP

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s the Sony A7 iii model I have seen second hand. I just wanted an opinion on the model of anyone if anyone uses one. The changing of systems isn’t the issue I’m discussing as that’s a decision I have already made for my own reasons .

It’s the Sony A7 iii model I have seen second hand. I just wanted an opinion on the model of anyone if anyone uses one. The changing of systems isn’t the issue I’m discussing as that’s a decision I have already made for my own reasons .
Quote " but choice too much snd I’m abit overwhelmed."

I shoot only SONY I have several cameras A7iii + A7riii and two a7Riv's all very capable- and at the last count 11 lenses - I shoot mostly wildlife now- but have in the past done Weddings/ Engagement's/ Portraits /Product photography and School proms /Gymnastics displays - I find the lenses are key to great photography- camera bodies of course play a part too

May I ask which genre you intend to go into professionally?

Les

Welcome to the forum Danielle, enjoy yourself here :wave:

:fuji:

Quote " but choice too much snd I’m abit overwhelmed."

I shoot only SONY I have several cameras A7iii + A7riii and two a7Riv's all very capable- and at the last count 11 lenses - I shoot mostly wildlife now- but have in the past done Weddings/ Engagement's/ Portraits /Product photography and School proms /Gymnastics displays - I find the lenses are key to great photography- camera bodies of course play a part too

May I ask which genre you intend to go into professionally?

Les
Hi

I really want to do baby portraits etc snd eventually weddings. I started taking pics of my own babies and it progressed.
So I just feel the camera I have is a starter and to produce more professional and competitive images I need to upgrade.
Thank you

your current camera is already pretty decent, no? What do you mean by more professionally and what quality improvements are you looking for? I’d think carefully about it before switching system and lenses etc.
It’s classed as a starter though not a professional level. If I want to take pictures and sell them ie babies and weddings I need to upgrade. All I’m not sure I like the Nikon image. I prefer canon or Sony as I said but I want to get the right one

It’s classed as a starter though not a professional level. If I want to take pictures and sell them ie babies and weddings I need to upgrade. All I’m not sure I like the Nikon image. I prefer canon or Sony as I said but I want to get the right one

Plenty of professionals started out without "professional level" cameras. The in-camera image "look" only really applies to jpgs, if you shoot in raw then you have full control over the final look. Personally, I'd make the decision based on the features I need for the types of pictures I will sell and I started off with a non-professional canon model.

Hi

I really want to do baby portraits etc snd eventually weddings. I started taking pics of my own babies and it progressed.
So I just feel the camera I have is a starter and to produce more professional and competitive images I need to upgrade.
Thank you
Ok I understand- I think a Sony a7iii and an 85mm f1.8 lens would be a good place to start for babies / Portraits etc and maybe a 50mm f1.8

I have a Sony 85mm f1.4 and a 50mm f1.4 for my people stuff and I use my Sony a7Riv for these- the f1,4 versions are expense, if your budget can stretch to these you cannot go far wrong in my humble opinion

Studio shoots using lencarta smart flash 3's x 2

50mm f1.4
Nr7bANn.jpg

50mm f1.4
SbO8tpC.jpg

85mm f1.4
wFkQdjg.jpg

85mm f1.4
sZKKW43.jpg

good luck in which ever system you choose

Les :)<

Hi

Thank you

A worthwhile aspiration to use what you have learned photographing your own babies/children to offer a paid for service(professional) to others who want that sort of social genre photography.

Apart from the family pictures that you have taken can I surmise that you have looked at other photographers website that offer the service and found amongst them those you like and admire? If so, what was your first thought:-
a) I wonder what camera and lens they used?
b) I wonder how they lit the scene and post processed to get that beautiful picture?
c) I love this photographer's work and would like him/her to photograph my children?

IMO you need to be able to see the reason why I posed the above questions and please believe me they are not trick questions!

As I posted earlier on, a newer/better camera will not make your pictures any better than they are now! Yes you may find that it would open up potential expansion of functionality but if you are not 100% happy that your current photographs can be sold getting a new camera will not immediately make them saleable.

A worthwhile aspiration to use what you have learned photographing your own babies/children to offer a paid for service(professional) to others who want that sort of social genre photography.

Apart from the family pictures that you have taken can I surmise that you have looked at other photographers website that offer the service and found amongst them those you like and admire? If so, what was your first thought:-
a) I wonder what camera and lens they used?
b) I wonder how they lit the scene and post processed to get that beautiful picture?
c) I love this photographer's work and would like him/her to photograph my children?

IMO you need to be able to see the reason why I posed the above questions and please believe me they are not trick questions!

As I posted earlier on, a newer/better camera will not make your pictures any better than they are now! Yes you may find that it would open up potential expansion of functionality but if you are not 100% happy that your current photographs can be sold getting a new camera will not immediately make them saleable.
Thank you for your comments and help. I’m beginning to think it would be beneficial to stick with what I’ve got and invest in a new second hand lens. There is no telling whether it would take off.
Thanks

Ok I understand- I think a Sony a7iii and an 85mm f1.8 lens would be a good place to start for babies / Portraits etc and maybe a 50mm f1.8

I have a Sony 85mm f1.4 and a 50mm f1.4 for my people stuff and I use my Sony a7Riv for these- the f1,4 versions are expense, if your budget can stretch to these you cannot go far wrong in my humble opinion

Studio shoots using lencarta smart flash 3's x 2

50mm f1.4
Nr7bANn.jpg

50mm f1.4
SbO8tpC.jpg

85mm f1.4
wFkQdjg.jpg

85mm f1.4
sZKKW43.jpg

good luck in which ever system you choose

Les :)<
Great pictures and advice. Thank you so much :)

Plenty of professionals started out without "professional level" cameras. The in-camera image "look" only really applies to jpgs, if you shoot in raw then you have full control over the final look. Personally, I'd make the decision based on the features I need for the types of pictures I will sell and I started off with a non-professional canon model.
Thank you. Fully taking this on board. :)

@Mimi&maxi

As you may have noticed, here at TP, that there are many discussions about portraiture and wedding photography.

Also, that a key aspect of TP is sharing images for constructive criticism to learn & improve the skills a photographer may seek. So stick around and ask for help for those who know "their stuff" about social photography & lighting of such subjects.

NB as someone who has only dabbled (family & friends) in social photography, I am not one who can 'speak' on the "how to" but after having taken my first photo of any kind (I think it was my brother on my dad's box camera) approx 60 years ago........I know what I like when I see it :)

All power to your elbow on your never ending learning curve and to making it something that you enjoy and can earn from.

Last edited:
Hi Danielle and welcome to T.P. As I think you will have found out already it’s a friendly group here and you will get lots of help and advice.
im sure that most of us over the years have been in a similar position thinking newer more expensive gear will give us a better more professional looking image.
But sadly it’s not generally the case, you’re best investment is your time in improving you’re photographic skills and post processing if needed ?
Truth is these days cameras are so good little if any work has to be done if you have captured the image correctly,I’m not a great lover these days of PP and I use a lot of JPEG’s although I do shoot Raw files I very rarely use them.
It does however give you the opportunity to process the image into a style or look that you like
I wish you every bit of luck with your adventure into baby and portraiture and any other areas of photography I’m sure you will venture into.
use the gear you have and keep shooting images and enhancing your skills you have a great camera thats more than capable of producing professional looking images.

Last edited:
welcome to the forum, buddy! I think that Sony a7 iii is a nice option if you like it. Though it doesn't have the most megapixels or shoot the fastest bursts, its well-judged mix of resolution, speed, features and price point make it an easy recommendation for all kinds of photographers and all kinds of photography.

Back