New Canon 100 - 400 mk 2

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it worth upgrading from the older version to the newer mk2 is it that much better ?

Definitely! I do lots of dog photography, and I could not use my old 100-400 for dogs running towards me at all; the focus simply couldn't keep up. The new Mk2 has no problem with this, plus it is exceptionally sharp throughout the range and focuses down to about 3ft. Since I have had the Mk2 it has replaced my 70-200 f/2.8 ISII as my go to lens.

It has become the mandatory lens for all wildlife shooters, in Spitsbergen 7 out of 8 of us had the lens. An excellent bit of glass, just wish it had come out sooner!!

George

No problem, Gary, as far as I can tell the mk2 doesn't have the same variation in individual items as the mk1 did, my mk 1 was very good (and I actually liked the trombone system) but I know others who didn't have such a good experience.

You'll love it and the IS is a step up.

If you can afford it, then go for it, it's a great lens - don't forget it's not a push / pull lens anymore, so this may / may not be a deal breaker.

Yes, If you have the budget then its a massive improvement on the mk1, and as said above its not a push / pull lens, not sure what you prefer though?

Yes, If you have the budget then its a massive improvement on the mk1, and as said above its not a push / pull lens, not sure what you prefer though?
its not the cost its the wife :(:(:whistle: I do like the push an pull but I always worry about dust getting into the lens

Last edited:
It's actually quite easy to operate this lens as a push-pull lens.

It's actually quite easy to operate this lens as a push-pull lens.
Yes, Lee it is but somehow on the new one I never use it like that....!!

Everyone called the old one a "dust pump" but when you think about it, it's no more than the new one is...in fact any lens which has elements moving in and out will show this effect as there is air being sucked in and out on both systems.

Yes, Lee it is but somehow on the new one I never use it like that....!!

Everyone called the old one a "dust pump" but when you think about it, it's no more than the new one is...in fact any lens which has elements moving in and out will show this effect as there is air being sucked in and out on both systems.
There's no doubt in my mind that the mkii is a lot better lens than the original one, better AF, IS and close focussing, but I visit another forum which is concerned with wildlife and there have been remarks passed recently on there that the mkii is causing concern over the amount of dust that's getting into it despite the new focus style.
As has been said, any zoom lens with the retractable tube design is going to ingest dust, it's enevitable given the engineering on these lenses.

Didn't realise that it was a general problem on the new lens, mine's going back together with all my other gear to Elstree as I've got a window between trips for a clean and check, the internal dust is inside the front element.

Didn't realise that it was a general problem on the new lens, mine's going back together with all my other gear to Elstree as I've got a window between trips for a clean and check, the internal dust is inside the front element.
Yes George, that's exactly where the problem was reported there, behind the front element. I don't know how common this is but it's a bit worrying for a lens of this value and given its supposed to be a professional weather sealed item!

I'd say it's worth the upgrade.

I rented one and also have 70-200 2.8IS II and want to keep that and get the 100-400 it really is good.

I had to send mine back to Canon after 2 months to have a large amount of dust removed. It actually showed up in the images. Still a superb lens though.

s
I had to send mine back to Canon after 2 months to have a large amount of dust removed. It actually showed up in the images. Still a superb lens though.
so dust is a problem too with this lens ? ive had the original 100-400 for over 10 years and I cant see any dust although ive never gone searching for it

Terrific lens. Had mine about a year and am very impressed with it, no visible dust so far either.

Admittedly mine has been on a number of trips, the dustiest being in India for 3 weeks in very dusty parks, and inevitably you are zooming in and out, well the images of course don't show dust spots, but I'm getting it cleaned anyway.

Little that can be done to avoid this, I fear!!

To the people with dust in the front element are you guys using filters, don't some canon lenses need filters fitted to be fully weather sealed (not sure if this is the case with the 100-400 mk2)

I read in one review of the 100-400 II that a filter was needed to complete the weather sealing. Not sure whether or not that is widely accepted as fact though.

"Designed for outdoor use, the 100-400 L II features a weather sealed design. This lens is not waterproof, but it is made to be used in wet and dusty conditions. Specifically, the manual states "Tight seal structure provides excellent dustproof and drip-proof performance" but then disclaims that sentence somewhat by stating "However, it is unable to provide complete protection from dust and moisture." Chuck Westfall of Canon USA has confirmed that a filter is required for full sealing of this lens."

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100-400mm-f-4.5-5.6-L-IS-II-USM-Lens.aspx

To the people with dust in the front element are you guys using filters, don't some canon lenses need filters fitted to be fully weather sealed (not sure if this is the case with the 100-400 mk2)

Philip, I never use them unless I need to, I'm well aware of (and have occasionally participated in) the various arguments, but I'd rather have my lenses cleaned occasionally than have one on all the time, and anyway a bit of dust like I'm experiencing doesn't affect the image quality, just doesn't look too pretty!!

George.

I still have the MkI version as well as the MkII and I've compared them on a 70D, 7DII, 6D and 5DIII and there is a noticeable difference in IQ on all those bodies. The 6D seems to work really well with the MkI out of the bodies so the differences are less with that one bet there are still some. The focus speed is the biggest difference in both though, the MkII seems like lightning compared and the MkI was no slouch. I also prefer the twist to zoom of the MkII although I had no problems using the push pull of the MkI.

+1 for the 100-400M2. I have taken it hiking, in the rain, in the snow and skiing no problems. Most recent was shooting ski racing - great results.

I read in one review of the 100-400 II that a filter was needed to complete the weather sealing. Not sure whether or not that is widely accepted as fact though.

"Designed for outdoor use, the 100-400 L II features a weather sealed design. This lens is not waterproof, but it is made to be used in wet and dusty conditions. Specifically, the manual states "Tight seal structure provides excellent dustproof and drip-proof performance" but then disclaims that sentence somewhat by stating "However, it is unable to provide complete protection from dust and moisture." Chuck Westfall of Canon USA has confirmed that a filter is required for full sealing of this lens."

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100-400mm-f-4.5-5.6-L-IS-II-USM-Lens.aspx
surely the dust gets into the lens via the in and out movement of the barrel when zooming and not through the glass I cant see how a filter would stop dust :thinking::thinking::thinking:

surely the dust gets into the lens via the in and out movement of the barrel when zooming and not through the glass I cant see how a filter would stop dust :thinking::thinking::thinking:
Yeah, I'm not sure either, but then I didn't write this, I only quoted it....

Absolutely, I was playing with mine yesterday (so to speak) and you can hear the air going in and out at the point where the zoom barrel meets the main housing, and the specs of dust are on the rear of the front element and the front of the element in the fixed housing, exactly as you'd expect.

Every lens of this construction will potentially have this problem, but it's really minimal and won't effect image quality, I suspect.

Back