New Canon 7D User - Got a question about custom controls

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I have recently sold off all of my Nikon gear and swapped over to Canon (I can hear both cries and cheers in the background right about now) and need a little bit of help. While playing around with my new toy I was trying out varying modes and options but one thing continued to bug me.

When in AV or TV mode I found it very awkward to have to remove my finger from the shutter release to change the shutter speed for example. This is abit against what I am used to I have to admit, I'm hoping with the vast array of options I can change the shutter speed / aperture speed to the wheel on the back where my thumb can easily get to it?

Anyone converted from Nikon and found the same or have a solution?

Having that wheel control +/- EV is just a little strange and not something I'm used to, Generally I shoot aircraft, especially warbirds and I tend to like setting the SS to what I need it to aquire prop blur with abit of + comp on the photo.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Pete

Thanks Bob,

I'll have a go through that section of the manual tonight!

Pete

Hmm that seems to allow you to change the option for shooting in manual mode.

But I can't find any way of getting that main wheel on the back to control shutter speed in TV mode or aperture in AV

Anyone got a tip for me? Even if it is that it cant be done?

Pete

That's dissapointing

I don't like having to take my forefinger off the shutter release to change a setting like that.

Nikon have that better so you can change it on the fly quickly

:(

Pete

You could assign the Quick Control system to the Set button, then you can use the Quick Control dial to control whatever parameter you last selected with the joystick. Press set and you can use your thumb. But it does blank the vf display bar so might not give you exactly what you want.

I do like this method of having access to all my shooting parameters nicely shown on the back panel - it's really handy at night and it's a breeze to change settings with the joystick and QCD.

Looks like it's possible to put shutter speed on the rear dial, but only in manual mode.. I don't have a 7D, but do have a pdf of the manual..

Back