New Canon L lenses in the pipeline?

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I've seen mention of a few new Canon L lenses that might be coming down the pipeline, including

16-35mm F2.8 DO
42mm F1.0
200-400mm F2.8
24-70mm F2.8 II

Anyone hear anything about these?

200-400 is very real and will get delivered to the shops at some point in the future:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...m-f-4-L-IS-USM-Extender-1.4x-Lens-Review.aspx

16-35 is rather behind the competition so I hope it will get replaced. There is a patent in Japan for DO.

There has been talk about 24-70 for years, so I wouldn't hold your breath. New one would be nice if they can add IS or expand the range a little bit.

42 - I haven't even seen any rumors on that one. A bit odd FL? It would get marketed as 40mm or 45mm in that case.

The 24-70 II was patended a while ago, and the price has dropped for the original lens, so I wouldnt be surprised to hear an announcement soon for the II lens. No IS though, if the patent is to be believed.

I highly doubt that the next 16 - 35 will be a DO lens, it just doesnt make sense to use the advantages of DO in something that quite frankly doesnt really need it?

42mm would be a crazy focal length as well? Only thing I want to see from Canon is a 14 - 24 competitor for the Nikkor.

Most likely were going to see some budget primes pop up as well as the 50 1.4/35 2 could really do with an update to meet the same standards as the 85 1.8?

The rumorus seem pretty strong that a new 24-70 2.8 is going to be launched with either the 5D mk3 or the new 1D/IDs.

On the face of it the 16-35mm getting a DO version doesnt seem to make much sense given that it isnt that long a design but perhaps the problem with the current version is that it really needs to be longer? UWA's do afterall need to be fairly short to make use of the small mimimum focus distance without bumping into things.

Canon have definitely submitted a patent for a 16-35mm - I'd love to see that come to market. I use the 70-300 DO a fair bit and like it.

Here's a pic of the 42mm:

42_f1.jpg

I think the 24-70 is about a month away.

I saw the 200-400 touted at 12K - wont be getting too excited about that one then.

The 24-70 II was patended a while ago, and the price has dropped for the original lens, so I wouldnt be surprised to hear an announcement soon for the II lens. No IS though, if the patent is to be believed.

I don't see any price drops - it's still circa £1k at UK retail

Hope the 24-70mm MKII is still a long way off. Just bought mine recently! :bonk:

Same here but I'm not worried tbh. Either it'll be much the same price as the old one (unlikely) in which case I'd upgrade if the quality improvement was worth it or (more likely) it'll cost a fair whack more so I've saved a load of cash :)

Canon lens rumours are very unreliable, more of a wish list. 42mm f/1.0 is a photoshop job.

The last several lenses Canon has actually announced were completely unflagged. 300/400/500/600 super L teles, Mk3 extenders, 200-400L 4, 100L IS macro, 70-200 Mk2, that wacky fish-eye which nobody asked for...

Same here but I'm not worried tbh. Either it'll be much the same price as the old one (unlikely) in which case I'd upgrade if the quality improvement was worth it or (more likely) it'll cost a fair whack more so I've saved a load of cash :)

The more modern Nikon 24-70 is around £250 more so I'd guess if Canon do another version it will probabley be near that.

I think the 24-70 is about a month away.

They have been say that for at least the last 3 years, more wishfull dreaming than any hint of truth rummor.

The canon rummor site is going to get this spot on at some point, as they have repeated the same rummor regularly for years

Last edited:
subwax said:
I've seen mention of a few new Canon L lenses that might be coming down the pipeline, including

16-35mm F2.8 DO
42mm F1.0
200-400mm F2.8
24-70mm F2.8 II

Anyone hear anything about these?

I got all excited too when I read 200-400mm F2.8 !!! Knew it must have been to good to be true lol

I think there's a canon patent for their version of a 14-24 too
that would interest me a lot

its the Nikon lens I want most

Back