New Canon R7!!

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
I finally ordered a Canon R7 and EF adapter mount direct from Canon last night, this is to replace my 9 year old 70D.
90% of it's use will be with the Sigma 150-600mm C lens, mainly for birds. I am aware of the pulsing issues some people have had with this combination.
I thought I read there is someone who has settings to help eliminate this, and also change the settings on the lens itself via the Sigma lens dock, I may be wrong though!
Also, what are peoples favourite settings for taking birds? Just to get me started.

I ordered a little field guide about the R7 to keep in my bag, any recommendations for a book about the R7, nothing too technical, just showing the basics, as I still regard myself as a novice.

This is my first new camera/lens purchase in 8 years, and I am quite excited by it, a bit sad really!!

Not at all. I hope you enjoy it.

My former employer recently gave me an R7 as a retirement gift - I'm just getting to grips with it (like you, using the mount adapter, but with a 100-400ii) , but I don't think you'll be disappointed - enjoy your new camera!

A few of my very early efforts:

It's new to me, but I am slowly getting to like (and trust) the 'animal' tracking AI focus functionality. On the Osprey / Spotted trout photo (one of a series taken) I was interested to see that the focus remained resolutely on the eye of the Osprey and ignored the fish...

Last edited:
We all need a new camera at some point , Have fun with it.

You should check out Simon D'Entremont (said very fast) on YT, he gave the camera an excellent review, and uses it primarily for bird photography. He's pretty good too.

I believe the R7 has image stabilization built in, the Sigma has the same built into the lens, I always have it on as I hand hold.
Can you have both IS switched on, or would this a conflict? If it does, which would be the best one to leave on, the camera or the lens?

I believe the R7 has image stabilization built in, the Sigma has the same built into the lens, I always have it on as I hand hold.
Can you have both IS switched on, or would this a conflict? If it does, which would be the best one to leave on, the camera or the lens?
The R7 does have in-camera stabilisation.

Your question re. whether the lens / camera stabilisation systems conflict / interfere with each other is a good one though...and I have no idea!!!

I have been leaving both camera and (Canon) lens stabilisation turned 'on' but I'd be very interested to know whether or not this is good practice....

This article suggests using both is fine....no idea how authoritative it is though!

Yes you can have both on, ridiculously slow shutter speeds are possible (combined with high ISO means shooting in the dark isn't far off)

You will love the R7, congrats.

My (basic) settings for birds are, although these do vary, depending on situation.

AV mode, manual is great but AV takes away an element of think time. Once you've set your exposure compensation, just check the histogram periodically. If the light is really variable, then manual mode.

AF Area, spot,
AF operation, Servo,
Animal Eye AF,
I prefer selecting ISO manually, although auto is also ok,
I'm usually around f8, my shutter speed and exposure compensation depends on my histogram and available light,
Usually first curtain electronic shutter, at 15 fps, but I feather that and usually take 2 or 3 shot bursts, unless there's a lot happening. I am thinking about going back to just mechanical.
Usually evaluative metering,
WB to suit, I'm not keen on 'Auto WB'.
I use a tripod for birds 99% of the time, so all IBIS and IS settings are off. I'm usually in a hide or under scrim, not walking about. I'll turn them back on, (if I remember) for the walk back to the car.
I always shoot in RAW.
My R7 is still quite new to me, it's a different way of working to my 5Div and I'm still finding my way with it but this is currently where I'm at with the R7, settings wise. I've been dabbling with FV mode but old habits die hard and I like AV and Manual modes.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule about settings though, there's a bit more to it than that (it can be a bit subjective) and depends on conditions too.

You will soon learn what suits any given situation.

Enjoy.

You will love the R7, congrats.

My (basic) settings for birds are, although these do vary, depending on situation.

AV mode, manual is great but AV takes away an element of think time. Once you've set your exposure compensation, just check the histogram periodically. If the light is really variable, then manual mode.

AF Area, spot,
AF operation, Servo,
Animal Eye AF,
I prefer selecting ISO manually, although auto is also ok,
I'm usually around f8, my shutter speed and exposure compensation depends on my histogram and available light,
Usually first curtain electronic shutter, at 15 fps, but I feather that and usually take 2 or 3 shot bursts, unless there's a lot happening. I am thinking about going back to just mechanical.
Usually evaluative metering,
WB to suit, I'm not keen on 'Auto WB'.
I use a tripod for birds 99% of the time, so all IBIS and IS settings are off. I'm usually in a hide or under scrim, not walking about. I'll turn them back on, (if I remember) for the walk back to the car.
I always shoot in RAW.
My R7 is still quite new to me, it's a different way of working to my 5Div and I'm still finding my way with it but this is currently where I'm at with the R7, settings wise. I've been dabbling with FV mode but old habits die hard and I like AV and Manual modes.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule about settings though, there's a bit more to it than that (it can be a bit subjective) and depends on conditions too.

You will soon learn what suits any given situation.

Enjoy.
Thanks Dale, much appreciated!

You’ll need fast memory cards to take advantage of the fast frame rates for any extended length of shooting - but as said above I also tend to shoot in short bursts- mainly so I don’t have to spend hours sorting through loads of almost identical shots. The RAW burst mode is very interesting but a bit clunky as you need to extract the images you want in camera or use Canons DPP software. IS is either all on or all off. Not sure if that’s good or bad. Do find and turn off the auto levelling feature as it will send the camera crazy if you’re chasing any type of wildlife around. Don’t forget to come back and tell us how you are getting on

Last edited:
You’ll need fast memory cards to take advantage of the fast frame rates for any extended length of shooting - but as said above I also tend to shoot in short bursts- mainly so I don’t have to spend hours sorting through loads of almost identical shots. The RAW burst mode is very interesting but a bit clunky as you need to extract the images you want in camera or use Canons DPP software. IS is either all on or all off. Not sure if that’s good or bad. Do find and turn off the auto levelling feature as it will send the camera crazy if you’re chasing any type of wildlife around. Don’t forget to come back and tell us how you are getting on
I had two of these arrive today, hopefully they will be fast enough.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230614-213942.png
    Screenshot_20230614-213942.png
    330.5 KB · Views: 4
congratz on your new R7. A few things ive found out with mine in the 4 months ive had it. Don't use mechanical shutter as it sometimes isnt as sharp and clear as the two electronic ones due to shutter shake, set up back button focus, I just couldn't get on with the focus working off shutter button. And if you have two memory cards set one for photo and the second for vid

Back