New Computer - £1k(ish)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning.

Now I’ve invested in an R6 and associated lenses, I’m also in the market for a new computer to do my editing.

I’ve got limited space so needs to be either an All in One or Small Form Factor. If I go small SFF the. I’d look to get a 23/24 inch monitor so any recommendations would be helpful.

My budget is £1k though can push it a little bit subject to wife not noticing.

Definitely not wanting a laptop, got an older Macbook Pro already which Is a work one but it struggles with LR or PS.

Just ordered a Synology NAS so going to be running external drive on the network, so drive space not so important.

I’ve looked at the Mac Mini M1 and also considered a 3/4 year old iMac. But don’t know which would be better to go with. On the other side, also looked at HP’s All in One.

Read many reviews on many things and they all point to Mac unsurprisingly, but open to Windows as well as comfortable with both types of OS.

Out of the m1 mini and an older intel imac, the m1 is better in every way. Although the new iMacs must be arriving soon with the m1 pro or whatever they decide to call it, but will probably be substantially More than £1k

I posted this on another thread ... the M1 is definatly the way to go

Apple Mini with the M1 Chip with 8-core CPU and 8-Core GPU with 256GB of SSD Storage, couple this to an Ezio Ecoview EV 2450 monitor.

Shopping around you should be able to get this for under a grand.

You will need to add a keyboard and rodent to finish the system off

I have the lowest spec M1 Mac Mini and it's fantastic. It runs everything I've thrown at it (photo editing, videos, music recording, a bit of gaming) without even switching a fan on (I don't know if it's even got a fan actually, but it's not even felt warm to the touch).

So my budget got blown, don't they always.

Bought the Mac Mini M1 with 16gb RAM and 256gb drive, plus magic mouse and keyboard... £1006. A 4k monitor to go with it is going to cost me a further £350-£500.

I am now thinking should I return it and just buy the new M1 24" iMac as price is going to work our pretty similar... :runaway:

What did you do in the end? The quality of the monitor on the iMac would be loads better than an equivalent external monitor to connect to a Mac Mini.

What did you do in the end? The quality of the monitor on the iMac would be loads better than an equivalent external monitor to connect to a Mac Mini.
I’ve gone with the iMac after an awful lot of reading. It was a tough decision to be honest, but as you say the screen swung it for me.

Delivery is end of this month as chose to upgrade the memory to 16gb.

Back