New Computer

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Good morning,

I think that my iMac is slowly giving up the ghost but it's nearly 7 years old so it's done well.

With the cost of the new iMacs having been hiked up (even with the educational discount you're looking at £950 for the entry level 1.6 dual core i5 standard display with 8GB RAM and 1TB hard drive) I'm seriously considering going back to a Windows PC.

Being a non-gamer and using the PC for purely for PS, LR and web browsing where's the best place to start looking? Scan always seems to be talked about but there "pro graphics" PC's are over £1,000.

Any help would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Michael.

Hello, I have the same problem with similar aged iMac. There's a preference setting to switch off graphics card acceleration (if I recall correctly) which helps and I've upgraded to disc to SSD, but I sense the time is coming. My son recently got a new pc mainly for gaming so I'm going to ask him to test LR and PS on there to compare. I'll let you know. Another option that crosses my mind was MacBook and keeping the iMac as large screen and storage, but I can't get the cable working to connect the screen.

I think back on the difficulties I had using Windows PCs and when I made the leap to IMac, everything was so much easier and logical to work with.
You pay for quality, but it will last you another several years.

You pay for quality, but it will last you another several years.
Same applies to both platforms. My self build 2nd gen i7 system has been going strong for many years with no immediate need to upgrade.

Alienware however you're probably paying for gaming components you don't need for editing.

Have a look at the usual suspects that use good class components, novatech or ocuk or chillblast as mentioned.

Last edited:
Scan do base configurations tailored to a number of uses Video / Photo being one. you can then up rate each component as you see fit. eg 32 >64GB ram

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

If you have the time and patience, it is much more satisfactory to build your own PC.
What I do is buy the Motherboard, CPU and memory as a complete assembled, tested and guaranteed unit.
Buy my own case, PSU, Hard drive (or SSD), Operating System (if you don't already have one) and graphics card.
Assemble, load O/S and software (PS or whatever) and voila.
The longest time is usually the O/S (if Windows with all updates/fixes) but usually, half a day and it's ready for use.
I know all the bits I have, can replace any unit that fails and work on 18 months expected lifetime before building another.

If you have the time and patience, it is much more satisfactory to build your own PC.
What I do is buy the Motherboard, CPU and memory as a complete assembled, tested and guaranteed unit.
Buy my own case, PSU, Hard drive (or SSD), Operating System (if you don't already have one) and graphics card.
Assemble, load O/S and software (PS or whatever) and voila.
The longest time is usually the O/S (if Windows with all updates/fixes) but usually, half a day and it's ready for use.
I know all the bits I have, can replace any unit that fails and work on 18 months expected lifetime before building another.
Yes. It's nice to buy an off the shelf box fully assembled and tested. But often you don't know if it has a quiet power supply fan. Or you have a particular component already, like a hard disk. Or you have to pay for Windows even if you don't want it. So I end up building my own again. Which is cheaper and satisfying to do. Even though I don't need to the satisfaction. I just want a computer that suits me.

Last edited:
Back