New Developing Service?

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
An advert has just popped up on Instagram for a company called Crofton Film Store who offer a developing service for C41 in 35mm and 120, prices look very reasonable if I've read it right. It looks like they scan on an Epson V800 pro so not sure how this would compare to a Noritsu scanner and they provide a cd or download to Dropbox. Anyone tried them?

An advert has just popped up on Instagram for a company called Crofton Film Store who offer a developing service for C41 in 35mm and 120, prices look very reasonable if I've read it right. It looks like they scan on an Epson V800 pro so not sure how this would compare to a Noritsu scanner and they provide a cd or download to Dropbox. Anyone tried them?

Well for me, if cheap, could be an alternative to filmdev (if overloaded with work)....if you accept results from the V800 (low scan) as proofs and never want to do a very large print.
Let face it how many people here pay for high\medium Noritsu scan and only post at 1000 X 860px and to me seeing the quality of my\your shot here is reduced compared to seeing it in say Photoshop (at 1000X 860px). Dunno if the gallery will produce better quality as never posted?

I think they're going to find the work flow with a flatbed scanner will do their head in. Even if it scans a strip at a time without intervention, it's going to be a pain in the arse.

Exactly my thoughts. Hopefully they're just kicking things off with the flatbed and will invest in a pro scanner later...otherwise I fear that Epson will be flung at high speed through a window.

I'm assuming (because I don't know) that in a "normal" lab the film goes through the scanner before being cut up and sleeved. The thought of cutting it into strips and putting them in a V800 holder first hardly bears thinking about timewise, never mnd the risk of scratches and such like from double handling. :thinking:

It seems odd that a company would invest in the gear to process C41, but not a dedicated film scanner. I've never heard of this before (though the default resolution from one of my local labs is so low they might as well be scanning on a phone).

I'm assuming (because I don't know) that in a "normal" lab the film goes through the scanner before being cut up and sleeved. The thought of cutting it into strips and putting them in a V800 holder first hardly bears thinking about timewise, never mnd the risk of scratches and such like from double handling. :thinking:

I think the Fuji and Noritsu high-end scanners have film reels on either side of the scanner path, or the post-scanning side moves straight into a cutter. The Pakon has the 'bowl' into which the entire film rolls itself up after scanning, so you can just leave it to do it's thing for ten minutes.

On the face of it they are a young 'startup" company and apparently work out of their residential premises.......though their turnround is quite fast, I wonder if the developing is farmed out (just how physical space, let alone waste disposal is needed)? Thus, devoting a lot of time to the scanning on, for a commercial operation, inadequate kit???

I think I’ll shoot a 35mm and a 120 roll and send them off and see how they do. At £3.99 a roll thats not bad for Dev only so I can accept a scan on an Epson.

It seems odd that a company would invest in the gear to process C41, but not a dedicated film scanner. I've never heard of this before (though the default resolution from one of my local labs is so low they might as well be scanning on a phone).

I'd wonder how they're doing their dev if they're not using a minilab like a Frontier or Noritsu. I guess it's going to be something like a Jobo processor or even by hand.

Either way, they're going to struggle with volume.

It looks a bit 'for students, by students'. It's notable that nearly all of the film they offer is showing as sold out - unless they're planning to stop doing film, having virtually none to sell looks like a fairly large dent in revenue. The basic processing looks pretty cheap, but it's not clear whether it includes having the negs posted back. The page says the price includes a CD, which implies return postage, but also talks about the cost to return the negs is listed as "negative return", which I can't find anywhere.

As for running from a flat, I once knew a guy who lived with his girlfriend because he had turned his 2-bed flat into a small factory (he gave a me tour, and it was amazing). If they aren't doing that, then I suspect running a lab in a living space is going to be a compromise, especially if running water is needed for washing films. That means either the kitchen or bathroom, or some additional plumbing and drainage routed into a spare room. They could be subbing out the processing, but where would be cheaper than Crofton are charging, especially if £3.99 includes scan to CD and return postage? On top of that, scanning on a V850 sounds like a lot of time is being spent on earning £3.99 less costs.

Having said all that, it's tempting to run a roll of Vista through a camera and give them a try...

ETA: Return postage isn't included in the £3.99. I just went through the motions of checking out, and it lists shipping options in there starting from £2.80 (for "negative return") to £4.99 (Royal Mail 24 hours). So, in reality, from just under 7 quid for a single roll, and getting decently cheap for more rolls.

Last edited:
Hi all. Just in case anyone ever wants to try Crofton Film Store developing services - DON'T. I'm saying this on behalf of at least 50 of us who have sent in our film and NEVER received anything back. It is run by a person who does not quite know what he is doing. Some people have received damaged film back as well. We have all been waiting for 3 months to receive our film and unfortunately are considering going to court over it. So please tell everyone not to use Crofton.

Hi all. Just in case anyone ever wants to try Crofton Film Store developing services - DON'T. I'm saying this on behalf of at least 50 of us who have sent in our film and NEVER received anything back. It is run by a person who does not quite know what he is doing. Some people have received damaged film back as well. We have all been waiting for 3 months to receive our film and unfortunately are considering going to court over it. So please tell everyone not to use Crofton.

Crumbs, damning reviews on Trustpilot!!!

Just sad that he seemed to act on the equivalent of someone who has started with dSLR and upon being told his camera takes nice pictures......(not too good an analogy) offers wedding photography for £150 (bridal prep to first dance) and gets overwhelmed by the responses....... disappointing everyone!

Unfortunately, if something seems too good to be true price-wise, then quite often, it's because it is. I'm sorry if you've been let down, but tea and sympathy butter no parsnips, so all I can do is suggest that next time you think about trying either AG Photolab https://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/ or Filmdev https://filmdev.co.uk/

I've used both these labs over the last few years (mainly AG) and have never once failed to get my negatives and/or scans back (touch wood!) and lots of other Film and Conventional forum members have done likewise. Nothing is ever perfect though, and mistakes and errors may occasionally happen from time to time, even with the best will in the world; but, hopefully, sending your films to a well-established and highly regarded lab will reduce the chance of a mishap. I hope this is useful and wish you the best of luck with your film photography.

Last edited:
Aye, those Trustpiot reviews are pretty scathing.

In the end, I never did send a test roll in - by the time it was ready, they had stopped accepting orders (but the site was otherwise still active - I see it's now closed and only reporting on updates to getting through the backlog).

Likewise I didnt send a test roll either. It seems like quite a few folk we’re left with nothing. I think I’d be banging in the door if it was me.

The flatbed scan was always a red flag, and it seems Ste_S was right about him using a Jobo or something. Add in the cost of returning the negs, and it was more than FilmDev charges for a medium scan on a Noritsu. A cautionary tale for anyone who thinks setting up a small operation of this kind will be easy, and for anyone who thinks consigning important film to an untried lab is a good idea.

Last edited:
maybe a scam? because of the pandemic esp as at one lab i.e. filmdev weren't taking any more orders and people just wanted their negs done....h'mm in situations like this, you could use a digi camera until things return to normal.....any digi owner smirking will be banned:bat:

The flatbed scan was always a red flag, and it seems Ste_S was right about him using a Jobo or something. Add in the cost of returning the negs, and it was more than FilmDev charges for a medium scan on a Noritsu. A cautionary tail for anyone who thinks setting up a small operation of this kind will be easy, and for anyone who thinks consigning important film to an untried lab is a good idea.

And based on the apparent overwhelming of the 'service', a rookie mistake by any business.......decided on the basis of "I can't turn any customer away........ because (fill in appropriate misunderstanding of customer service & how to create a satisfied customer base)" NB though not related to this company, only matched by credit control 101 mistake excuse of "I can't chase them for money because they are such a good customer......." = neglecting to accept/realise that a customer is only a customer 'once they have paid the bill(s)'

maybe a scam? because of the pandemic esp as at one lab i.e. filmdev weren't taking any more orders and people just wanted their negs done....h'mm in situations like this, you could use a digi camera until things return to normal.....any digi owner smirking will be banned:bat:
It wasn’t a scam Brian, it was just someone thinking this film developing thing is easy, pretty much only factoring in the cost of chemicals, not his time or premises (mum and dads house).
he underestimated the response and once he was overwhelmed by it didn’t no how to deal with it.
I’m glad I didn’t send off the test roll I intended to.

It wasn’t a scam Brian, it was just someone thinking this film developing thing is easy, pretty much only factoring in the cost of chemicals, not his time or premises (mum and dads house).
he underestimated the response and once he was overwhelmed by it didn’t no how to deal with it.

..and I suppose they haven't got the money to send all the films back :rolleyes:

..and I suppose they haven't got the money to send all the films back :rolleyes:
It' not a "they" it was a "he" and i dare say any money he got has long since disappeared.

H'mm people knew in June something was wrong\problem but info has only reached us now?

Last edited:
H'mm people knew in June something was wrong\problem but info has only reached us now?
Its been mentioned on a few facebook groups for a while, usually wondering where there films were.

Judging by reading their home page, this.

Someone who got out of his depth and suffered a mental health crisis as a result with others (parents?) stepping in to help out. Feel quite sorry for him and his family.
All that for seemingly £60 a day (minus costs).

^ certainly reads that he is making an effort that get back on track.

Though the mix/interval gaps of the numbers does not point to an organised handling of the received orders........unless there is an element of mixed batch processing such that some O.No's are not processed in 'date order'???

Back