New discovery

Emma,

That's very nice but for me there's too much dark dead space on the R.H.S. I think I might just crop it about a fifth of the way in to remove it.

Or you could give it a dose of DarkTable (LightRoom, whatever). That's what I'd do at least. I like the vegetation.

Emma,

That's very nice but for me there's too much dark dead space on the R.H.S. I think I might just crop it about a fifth of the way in to remove it.

Or you could give it a dose of DarkTable (LightRoom, whatever). That's what I'd do at least. I like the vegetation.

Thank you both - I appreciate the feedback. Here's a different crop and I have brought up the shadows a little but hopefully not so much as to make it look too unrealistic for the time of day.

sunrise7x5small.jpg

Much prefer the cropped image but it does seem at little less "atmospheric" somehow.

Very nice. Much prefer the second version with the shadows increased a touch

Much prefer the cropped image but it does seem at little less "atmospheric" somehow.
Thank you both. Looking back at it now I think the crop did lose something - I could go down the raising the shadows more route, but maybe it's just a good excuse to go back soon and try to get something better :)

Nice. Make sure you get back there for a sunrise with some frost too ;)
I took a shot very near here, but next to the river a couple of years ago.
I had only been using the camera on manual for a couple of weeks and didn't have a clue what I was doing but pulled off a very lucky frosty sunrise shot with all the wrong settings that I still think is my best.
I was trying to get back to the same place to try for a misty shot, but the small 'keep out' sign on the gate had been replaced with several massive in your face, death to trespassers signs and it put me off trying! I might try contacting the landowners sometime to see if I could get permission to go down there.
There was actually frost on Sunday too, but it doesn't show up very well here.

Last edited:
Lovely ambiance, great photo overall. I'm more a fan of the second crop.

I really like the original, Em.

I quite like both edits, it's the reflection and light in the water creating that mood I love. Nice work Emma(y)

I really like the original, Em.

I quite like both edits, it's the reflection and light in the water creating that mood I love. Nice work Emma(y)
Thank you Ruth and Steve - that's nice feedback :)
I think I'm leaning back towards the original now...it's so good to hear different opinions but it still doesn't help me be more decisive about this editing lark!

The original is a really fine image, up there with some of the very best. At least at web size res anyway.
Wow Steve...that's just put a big smile on my face :D
Funnily enough when I saw the lake I thought that the stillness of the water might even have been up to your standards ;)
Considering it was taken with the kit lens I was pretty pleased with the quality. I often use my 35mm for landscapes but it didn't seem wide enough for the job here.

Thank you Ruth and Steve - that's nice feedback :)
I think I'm leaning back towards the original now...it's so good to hear different opinions but it still doesn't help me be more decisive about this editing lark!
I think you can only edit to your own taste Emma. Apart from getting rid of any errors like leveling, WB or that sort of thing, editing to appease someone else's taste is a no go, as everyone's taste is different. Unless consensus of opinion points something obvious out of course!
I'm trying to state the obvious really the word subjective springs to mind, Duurrr:rolleyes:
Anyhow the more i look at this and when i have it up on the proper screen its lovely!
Its a cracking shot!
PS I still have the early version of that 18-55 a non VR and it is a pretty good lens, very good TBH which is why i kept it.

Last edited:
I really like the original. In theory there is too much dark area around the right-hand side, but I think this, in reality, actually makes the photo.

The original sits far more comfortably and gives a much better sense of place and space.
It is an excellent shot.
I am not sure any lens would have made much difference, as the mist in the air limits sharpness and give atmosphere.

I think you can only edit to your own taste Emma. Apart from getting rid of any errors like leveling, WB or that sort of thing, editing to appease someone else's taste is a no go, as everyone's taste is different. Unless consensus of opinion points something obvious out of course!
I'm trying to state the obvious really the word subjective springs to mind, Duurrr:rolleyes:
Anyhow the more i look at this and when i have it up on the proper screen its lovely!
Its a cracking shot!
PS I still have the early version of that 18-55 a non VR and it is a pretty good lens, very good TBH which is why i kept it.
I completely agree Steve...I just wish I knew what my own taste was sometimes ;)
I'm certainly not out to please everyone, but hearing people's feedback (on other photos as well as my own) is such a good way of seeing what else might be done with an image. It was good to do the edit, if only to see what I really did like about the original although I was unsure when I posted it.
I'm pleased you rate the lens...it's the only wide one I've got :D
Thanks so much for your thoughts and your feedback on the image btw - it's really appreciated.

Back