New DJI Osmo, handheld camera with gimbal

I'm going to get the Feiyu one. The Osmo will be better when it's paired with the X5 camera, which will be much better than the X3 seen above.

This does seem a great piece of kit but as mentioned above the X5 setup would be even better. I am tempted to pick it up and then upgrade the camera to the X5 in the future.

This does seem a great piece of kit but as mentioned above the X5 setup would be even better. I am tempted to pick it up and then upgrade the camera to the X5 in the future.

The Feiyu/GoPro Hero 4 Black combo works out slightly cheaper than the above package. As I have the GoPro already that's be the route I'll go. Be interesting to see how DJI price the Osmo X5.

I've got the Feiyu G4 & Hero 4 Black combo and it works well, mostly. If I was buying again, I'd go for the G4S from Feiyu, as it's been slightly redesigned to allow full rotation on each axis, whereas at the moment, the camera can knock into the gimbal at certain orientations.

I think the OSMO handle will sell quite well, as current Inspire 1 owners can add their existing camera to it, but I'm not sure the OSMO and camera combo will sell as readily. I'd much rather the OSMO and X5/X5r combo, which will be a very neat setup.

I've got the Feiyu G4 & Hero 4 Black combo and it works well, mostly. If I was buying again, I'd go for the G4S from Feiyu, as it's been slightly redesigned to allow full rotation on each axis, whereas at the moment, the camera can knock into the gimbal at certain orientations.

I think the OSMO handle will sell quite well, as current Inspire 1 owners can add their existing camera to it, but I'm not sure the OSMO and camera combo will sell as readily. I'd much rather the OSMO and X5/X5r combo, which will be a very neat setup.

The X3 camera as used on the Inspire 1 is slightly different to the one that ships with the OSMO in that it is set to focus at infinity.

True, but it is still compatible as far as I know (although depends on the application you want it for as to whether it's worth it). They have said the one that ships with the OSMO can't be mounted to an Inspire 1, although I suspect it's just a software issue.

True, but it is still compatible as far as I know (although depends on the application you want it for as to whether it's worth it). They have said the one that ships with the OSMO can't be mounted to an Inspire 1, although I suspect it's just a software issue.

It's because it focuses on a point just in front of the user making it less than ideal for use on the Inspire 1.

That would be a major factor in whether to buy the Osmo or not, you don't want something that just focuses on the foreground.

The main reason I won't buy one though is that video quality from the X3 in 4K just isn't as good as from the GoPro Hero 4 Black. That's why I am going down the Feiyu route.

I agree. With the X5/X5R it may be worth it, but a Feiyu G4/G4S and a Hero 4 Black are a very strong combination. I do like the screw mount on the OSMO so that it can be mounted to other objects, although I probably would be weary of trusting it with an X5

Well I have flip-flopped! My Fuiyu Tech gimbal rapidly developed a fault so it's going back for a refund. Today I had an Osmo delivered. Nice looking bit of kit! Looking forward to testing it.

Hows the OSMO Richard? I'm been buying accessories for it before actually buying the thing itself - way over £200 so far!
Did you get the free DJI Fleximic? I was going to pass on an external microphone (Rode VideoMicro) when I heard about the free mic which might(??) help with the audio problems, but the freebie also sells on DJI's website for a paltry £7 so I can't see it being useful.

Hows the OSMO Richard? I'm been buying accessories for it before actually buying the thing itself - way over £200 so far!
Did you get the free DJI Fleximic? I was going to pass on an external microphone (Rode VideoMicro) when I heard about the free mic which might(??) help with the audio problems, but the freebie also sells on DJI's website for a paltry £7 so I can't see it being useful.

So far I am impressed. Lovely to use. I haven't go the mic because the retailer hasn't had them yet, but like you, I am wary of its usefulness. Won't really be using it properly till I go to Spain in May & June.

I really liked that! & what a beautiful location too, hope you'll post more, Spain too when you go!
I've got a question for you regarding your mobile viewfinder if you were using one. If you put someone in the frame and then touch their face whilst moving the Osmo down to the ground, does/can the Osmo keep a lock on their face?

Cheers - and post more footage soon :)

PS 6 more weeks and an Osmo is going to India with me, can't wait!

Last edited:
I really liked that! & what a beautiful location too, hope you'll post more, Spain too when you go!
I've got a question for you regarding your mobile viewfinder if you were using one. If you put someone in the frame and then touch their face whilst moving the Osmo down to the ground, does/can the Osmo keep a lock on their face?

Cheers - and post more footage soon :)

PS 6 more weeks and an Osmo is going to India with me, can't wait!

Thank you! Don't need to use the app for that. The Osmo has a trigger. When you have the face centred, just hold the trigger down, and the camera will stay orientated on the face irrespective of how you move the gimbal.

That looks really impressive. It's exciting to see this kind of tech reaching the level of consumer products.

I am obsessed with getting one of these, just not sure on the price. Wheres the cheapest place to get one?

I am obsessed with getting one of these, just not sure on the price. Wheres the cheapest place to get one?

DJI are like Apple, they don't allow discounting so price will be the same at all of their dealers.

Another great clip, you make Cardiff look very appealing :)

@ Muss. I think I'm bordering on being obsessed too :) Amazon are selling them for about £530 at the moment but they had none in stock the other day. Matters not though.... I'm buying it on Wednesday.

Another great clip, you make Cardiff look very appealing :)

@ Muss. I think I'm bordering on being obsessed too :) Amazon are selling them for about £530 at the moment but they had none in stock the other day. Matters not though.... I'm buying it on Wednesday.

Well.......did you buy it??? :)

Damn right I did!! From Headcamz. £550, extra free battery and £25 Amazon voucher :) Arrived 0930 today....... and I missed delivery :banghead: Shoot me!!
Collecting from local shop tomorrow - and they had better look after it for me.

I can't stop watching Osmo clips on Youtube - annoyingly they are sometimes hard to find because uploaders don't necessarily but Osmo in the title.
Have you seen any good clips lately?

This guy edits quite well - I'm just not so sure about the snow
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVu70mpUad4

5 weeks till India :D

Thats a wicked little video.
Ive reserved mine untill later this month. Realised i have a M.O.T and service to pay for first!

I purchased a DJI Osmo whilst at the NEC earlier this week. Great deal. £450 including the mic & spare battery. I added another battery too to make it 3 batteries.

So far I'm very impressed with the stabilisation. The biggest downside really is the low light performance and even with the little external mic you can clearly pick up the sound of the fan.

I will have a play with it over the coming months and see if I can justify upgrading to the X5. I think that could be the killer feature for weddings. Small, light to carry and easily stabilised.

I purchased a DJI Osmo whilst at the NEC earlier this week. Great deal. £450 including the mic & spare battery. I added another battery too to make it 3 batteries.

So far I'm very impressed with the stabilisation. The biggest downside really is the low light performance and even with the little external mic you can clearly pick up the sound of the fan.

I will have a play with it over the coming months and see if I can justify upgrading to the X5. I think that could be the killer feature for weddings. Small, light to carry and easily stabilised.

The latest update addresses the audio issue.

I think the best way to do audio with these (and gopro etc) can often be a separate recorder, and sync the tracks later if required.
The one to get is probably a zoom, but to explore the concept, even the £10 ebay ones are OK-ish with external mic.

I think the best way to do audio with these (and gopro etc) can often be a separate recorder, and sync the tracks later if required.
I've bought one of these recorders (Tascam DR5) to record separate audio while I'm filming Ganga Aarti at Varanasi next month.
I hope syncing of tracks is easy to do, not something I've tried before, would probably need more sorftware, Nero15 is my only experience with editing.
My plan is to place the recorder on a mini tripod the first night and record it but not film the hour long ceremony, just watch what the priests do.
second, third and forth night, I'll be filming, each night from a different angle. Not sure what I'll be filming with yet, a bit of everything
(Osmo, GoPro4 black and Nikon D5300).

@Ricardodaforce - I love your Osmo timelapse, are you using the official DJI tripod?

I've bought one of these recorders (Tascam DR5) to record separate audio while I'm filming Ganga Aarti at Varanasi next month.
I hope syncing of tracks is easy to do, not something I've tried before, would probably need more sorftware, Nero15 is my only experience with editing.
My plan is to place the recorder on a mini tripod the first night and record it but not film the hour long ceremony, just watch what the priests do.
second, third and forth night, I'll be filming, each night from a different angle. Not sure what I'll be filming with yet, a bit of everything
(Osmo, GoPro4 black and Nikon D5300).

@Ricardodaforce - I love your Osmo timelapse, are you using the official DJI tripod?

Thanks. Disappointed that it only outputs at 720p though. I'm sure my Hero 4 Black will do 4K video time lapses.
It was on the extension pole which was mounted onto my Giottos tripod.

I've just opened my Hero4 Black today, took me ages to get it out of it's cage/prison, I was trying to keep the box intact but ended up ripping it to shreds.
I had some problems with my Osmo extension rod. It wouldn't expand properly until I used force. I don't trust the leg locking mechanism on it either. Anyway, when I do use it on holiday in less than 2 weeks (OMG!!) I'm going to use it discreetly, not go overboard.. well try not too.
Are still going to spain soon? Are you worried about all the batteries you are taking on your flight? I bought a Lipo Guard bag for all mine but I think that might just be drawing attention to myself. Am a bit worried though - when my case goes though the xray machine, they might want to know why its all cables and chargers.

The Hero4 will be challenging at first.
Video from it is gobsmackingly good - when you get it right.
The hardest part is avoiding too much shaky hand held stuff.
A cheap selfie stick is invaluable because when not extended it's a nice little grip.
Then I'm still not convinced the 'best advice' to shoot protune/flat/native is always best, it seems harder to get decent output with that than using DJI LOG, even using their own LUT in GoPro studio.
The full auto is pretty good except for weird cyan sky.
A compromise may be leave WB on Auto but turn off gopro colour, and definitely better with sharpness down a notch. You definitely need a few test runs before travelling.

Mine has had wifi connection issues from new (Feb) - and that's important when you don't have LCD back so it has just gone back for replacement presumably.
At the moment it is at the airport in Belgium (I know....!) the European returns place is in Holland.
You will need a couple of spare batteries I expect as they don't last long.
You can get a couple of 3rd party ones with charger tray cheap enough on Amazon etc
If planning timelapse a powerbank might be a better buy, and could be used to top of all your other stuff ;)

Last edited:
Was close to buying one of these with the phantom I bought a few weeks ago

I've just opened my Hero4 Black today, took me ages to get it out of it's cage/prison, I was trying to keep the box intact but ended up ripping it to shreds.
I had some problems with my Osmo extension rod. It wouldn't expand properly until I used force. I don't trust the leg locking mechanism on it either. Anyway, when I do use it on holiday in less than 2 weeks (OMG!!) I'm going to use it discreetly, not go overboard.. well try not too.
Are still going to spain soon? Are you worried about all the batteries you are taking on your flight? I bought a Lipo Guard bag for all mine but I think that might just be drawing attention to myself. Am a bit worried though - when my case goes though the xray machine, they might want to know why its all cables and chargers.

I am off to Madrid in May, and I always travel with my FujiFilm CSC and GoPro in my hand-luggage. This year I will be adding the Osmo too. The extension rod just requires twisting, but it takes a bit of getting used to.

My second MUVI cam is now on its way out, the red record button on the front isn't functioning properly now. The on/off switch on my first one broke, so I'm now switching to a GoPro hero4 silver.
I considered the Osmo, some of the footage I've seen looks very impressive, but as I've already got a fuiyu which will fit a GoPro I couldn't really justify the extra cost.
I'll still be able to use the MUVI on wifi, so I'll have a second POV camera now, but I don't want the faff of connecting it to my phone every time I record something.

Does this camera have a small screen or is a mobile needed to frame shots? DJI seem to bring something new out on a monthly basis! This does look good though as a first entry to stabilized video.

Do you think the X5 camera with this will be in the not too distant future then?

Does this camera have a small screen or is a mobile needed to frame shots? DJI seem to bring something new out on a monthly basis! This does look good though as a first entry to stabilized video.

Do you think the X5 camera with this will be in the not too distant future then?

Here is your answer. And yes, an adapter for the X5 is on the way.

DJI Osmo by Ricardo da Force, on Flickr

Back