New DSLR or Lens+kit

Edit My Images
No
Current kit

Canon 400D
Canon kit 18-55mm
sigma 70-200mm
Canon Prime 50mm mk2 1.8

I have been thinking of getting the 60D as it has plenty of features including the HD video and Live view LCD screen.
Prices range from £640-£900 depending on quality of site.

Would I be better keeping the 400D and getting something along the lines of the following to get better results.
Better quality lenses (suggestions)
Canon Speedlite 430EX
GoPro HD HERO for video

The natural progression is to get better lenses before getting a better body. Obviously there is a difference between the hardware of 400D and the 60D which will potentially result in better pictures.

But, having the best glass that you can afford could potentially provide a steeper incline to the quality.

Buying better lenses is also an investment, so when you upgrade to a better body you already have the lens choices to move forward.

Of course, this argument is negated if you feel that you have outgrown your current body and it is limiting you in your photo's. IMO i feel that having a better body and less choice of lens (or quality of lens) would be more limiting.

I try to take a range of shots.
When I see the quality of some of the images other people have produced I would like to try and improve and hence my conundrum to body/lens.
Its just a mine field of choice and expensive mistake to make.

I have been thinking of getting the 60D as it has plenty of features including the HD video and Live view LCD screen.

Would I be better keeping the 400D and getting something along the lines of the following to get better results.

Better results still wont get you "HD video and Live view LCD screen" so I suppose it depends what your priorities are. If you need the new features you need a new camera, if you want to improve with your current camera you may need to add to or change your kit.

Some deep thinking and difficult choices await you... :D

I've just upgraded to a 60D from a 400d myself. It is a big step up in my opinion but I can safely say it is the best move I've made. Have you had a hands on with a 60D?

Yes I did have a go when I was in Currys recently and have done a good bit of review checking on the net.
Dave_83 can you elaborate on how you feel it was a good choice upgrading.
Has it improved the output of your current lenses?.

For me the whole camera felt better for me, the weight and general feel is better than that of the 400D, more solid. The change in dial positions take some getting used to. I cant really comment too much on the output of my current lenses as at the same time I bought a 400 f5.6 and that has barely been off the camera. I did have a few hours out with the 60D and my 70-300 sigma the other week and I was more than pleased with the images (the 70-300 was my best/favourite lens before the upgrade).

I would always go for lenses over a new body. Im still shooting with a 1DmkII, which by todays standards is a pretty old camera. But I use top L series lenses on it and the quality (okay, maybe aside from high iso) is still fantastic. Bottom line for me is that lenses will stick around and hold their value for years...camera bodies not so much.

Hi

One of my mates upgraded from his 450D to a 60D mid last year, the main reason he wanted an upgrade was a higher FPS - hence the 60D.

He loves it and is very happy with the upgrade, he prefers the larger size and feel of it over his 450D, the swivel screen is an additional bonus he has found useful, especially when reviewing his shots / videoing

I really grateful for advice so far.
Some of you say that body has its purpose and extra features make it worthwhile and others point out that the body will loose value unlike good quality lenses.
So below I will list out my current lenses to see if priority can be given a bit easier.

Canon EFS 18-55mm
Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II
Tamron AF 70-300mm 4-5,6 LD
C-AF 2x teleplus mc7 (2x converter)

Whilst I agree about the glass being more important than the body, I don't agree that lenses are an investment.

No camera gear should really be seen as an investment and I have sold enough lenses and bodies on eBay to know that you can get a good price for the lenses so changing lenses or whole systems isn't really an issue. :)

Another consideration. Do you really want to shoot video? I can on my camera but really have no interest or incubation to do so. Good quality optics would be my choice every time. I hope that helps.

Video would just be an added bonus really.
The body is the easier choice, whereas there are quite a few lenses.
With a budget of £650 what lens/s would I be able to get that would be better than the two zooms that I currently have?.

Would you not consider a slightly older body

If it was me I would perhaps get a 40D and a Tamron 17-50

The 40D is the superior to your 400D and the Tamron is 2.8 through out and very sharp for such a low price (from £300)

Just my 10pence :)

Would you not consider a slightly older body

If it was me I would perhaps get a 40D and a Tamron 17-50

The 40D is the superior to your 400D and the Tamron is 2.8 through out and very sharp for such a low price (from £300)

Just my 10pence :)

Aaron could you post a link to the exact lens you mention as there seem to be a few.
I should have replaced my kit lens already so maybe that's the first step.

have a look at the 600d thats what i just got, i couldnt see a massive different between the 60d and 600d other than the shutter speed?

Have you thought about going a step further and getting a 7D, maybe second hand?
It's better built, better ergonomics, has better focusing and metering than the 60D.
I've upgraded from the 600D and my pictures improved, because of the quick and precise access to all the controls and the 100% coverage of the view finder.
It has a fixed screen, but unless you're really into video capture, you won't miss it much.
Second hand you could pick one up for around 800-900 pounds maybe.

Back