New DSLR... Please help me decide....

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, everyone here... I'm thinking of buying a new kit and am not sure what to buy. Atm there are three in my mind...They are the following...

1. Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera + 18-105 VR Lens Kit
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/78158/show.html

2. Canon EOS 650D Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens
http://www.jessops.com/online.store... SLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens-86026/Show.html

3.Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera + EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Kit
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/78104/show.html

what are your thoughts about this? and one more thing, in addition to this camera, i am thinking of purchasing a zoom lens as well. which one of this 2 is best to buy?and what does full time focus means? does it mean that the 2 lens below are only manual focus? i know they have the af or mf selection, can someone guide me on this?i want to add the canon 7D on the list above but for more than a grand without lens i think i'm out for that....

1. Tamron SP 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di VC USD Lens (for full frame and aps-c)
http://www.tamron.eu/uk/lenses/over...-300-f4-56-di-vc-usd-8.html?tx_keproducts_pi6[cam]=&tx_keproducts_pi6[vc]=false&tx_keproducts_pi6[sp]=false

2.Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 VC PZD Lens (for aps-c only)
http://www.tamron.eu/uk/lenses/over...-aspherical-if-macro-6.html?tx_keproducts_pi6[cam]=&tx_keproducts_pi6[vc]=false&tx_keproducts_pi6[sp]=false

hope you guys can help me decide.....please.....if you think you have a camera in mind that you think is worth buying then please let me know...and can someone suggest me a flash gun ( for nikon and canon) as well please which are not too dear....
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
any more suggestions, guys?

Go in to a couple of shops and try your choices out and ask questions. Not only should you get answers but you should be shown the differences between the models first hand. You can decide which suites your needs,how it feels in your hand, how easy it is to navigate settings etc. I could sit here all day looking at pictures of women on the net, but you just cant beat seeing one in the flesh :D

As Graham & Rich have said

Try them out, you need to see which feels best in your hands, which feels more natural to use to you...

And don't forget, this is the fun bit as well - trying out all new cameras :)

thanks for your replies, guys....i've tried what you said and i like the feel and grip of the d7000....took some pictures and still d7000..since am not an expert on all of this and would love to take photography seriously..am asking you experienced guys for an advice.....especially on the camera itself.....

at the moment am inclined on getting the d7000...but still deciding between the canon eos 650d.....i know it's an entry level but is it worth buying more than the d700 which is a semi pro?

Hi. Can't really help with the cameras you've listed, but I was considering those when I finally decided on the Pentax K-5.

You might be one of the "I'm not fussy about the different brands of DSLR, I like BOTH" crowd, and I appreciate that they go on to make much more impressive pro-end stuff, but at the price point we're both at, my research led me to the conclusion that the K-5 was a decent bang-for-buck option that left some money for lenses which is where most people recommend the bulk of the budget should be targeted.

YMMV.

thanks for your replies, guys....i've tried what you said and i like the feel and grip of the d7000....took some pictures and still d7000..since am not an expert on all of this and would love to take photography seriously..am asking you experienced guys for an advice.....especially on the camera itself.....

at the moment am inclined on getting the d7000...but still deciding between the canon eos 650d.....i know it's an entry level but is it worth buying more than the d700 which is a semi pro?

:LOL::LOL: You have the Canon Angel on your right shoulder and the Nikon one on your left. Have a quick look here Are you any the wiser after reading the comparisons :shrug: You will not go far wrong with either really. On an amature level any differences between the two would be no cause for concern if you ask me. In all honesty the biggest contributing factor when I bought my first DSLR was which one I could get the best financial deal on, at the time Canon were doing a cashback offer, the place I bought it from were the cheapest listed at the time and low and behold I found a promo code as well :D It was a no brainer really (y)

They are all great cameras! The D7000 has the best high ISO performance for shooting in bad light, whilst the Canons will let you get in closer for wildlife with the same length lens (because of the extra crop factor and slightly higher resolution).

If the Nikon feels right in your hands go for that. Personally, I prefer the Canon control system however (I find reviewing images a pain!), but this is different for everyone :)

Note: I'm not sure any of these cameras are classed as semi-pro, more enthusiast.

..am asking you experienced guys for an advice.....especially on the camera itself.....

It really doesn't matter. There isn't much difference between them. The ergonomics are the deciding factor for the majority of neutral buyers.

They are all good cameras, personally, if I was shooting stills and video the 650D will probably be better, for stills and occasionally video then the D7000 and 60D are better cameras. 650D is new so you will pay a premium for the new features, you have to consider if they are worthy compared to the 60D. For the lenses the only thing I can say, is if you get a 18mm-55mm with the body, leaving a "gap" buying a 70mm-300mm will force to switch lenses constantly.
Really try all of then in the shop, there will be a huge different how the D7000 and 60D will feel compared to the 650D

full time manual focus means that you can manually focus the lens without having to switch to manual focus

thanks for your replies guys...i think i'll be buying the D7000, i just hope that it won't be replaced soon...lol...

I did the same last year, tried the Canon 60D , 7D and the Nikon d7000 and found I far preferred the Nikon d7000. I found the fit better, and preferred the way the camera operates in terms of menu's etc.

Haven't regretted it once :D

I'd get the D7000 as the dynamic range on it plus the iso performance is far better than the two canon models. Means you can achieve higher shutters speeds in low light and be able to do far more with the RAW files in editing at the end of it with great results.

thanks, guys..got the d7000 with the 18-105 lens plus a 70-300 lens as gift for father's day....i think need to go out more soon.....hope the weather stays right.....lol..

Back