New Editing Style

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
No
Been thinking for ages about trying something a little different with my processing - something akin to what I do with my wedding work.

Adjusted curves, increased clarity a touch, added a pretty meaty vignette and sharpened with high pass filter.

Trying to be a little different while also trying desperately steer clear of the Instagram look. Any comments/crit would be most welcome :)

Castle by Danny Birrell, on Flickr

There appears to be some serious banding particularly at the vignetting in the top left and right corners.

I quite like it. Works for that shot I think but how does it work on a shot that isn't so dark and moody?

Yeah you're right (not part of the new editing style). Something to do with the conversion to JPEG maybe?
Yeh, probably. Get rid of that and I think you are on to winner with that style.

I do really like that editing, it would just be nice to see it on more than one type of landscape to see how it works.like brash says, it could be a winner

I do really like that editing, it would just be nice to see it on more than one type of landscape to see how it works.like brash says, it could be a winner

Thanks Adam, the aim is to get out this weekend and shoot early evening - I've got a run-through of the processing that I want to do with that kinda shot in my head......now it's just a matter of getting the actual shot! :)

Always easier said then done isn't it.. I have so many shots I want but finding the right time/location and any time to actually get out with the camera isn't easy! The ability to actually take the shots I want also seems to hold me back for now haha... can never get them to turn out how I want yet

Last edited:
On my phone so can't see the banding issue @BRASH mentions but like has been said, processing looks good overall.

Thanks Adrian, glad you like it - going to have to find a way around that pesky banding issue.

Just took a look on Flickr and can see the banding now.

Could it be the vignette process that has caused this?

Not for me I'm afraid. This look seems to have been very in vogue in some circles for the last couple of years, where everyone tries to squash their histogram into the middle 75% of the grayscale. Maybe I'm the odd one out but I just don't get it.

Sorry, that probably isn't very constructive!

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
Just took a look on Flickr and can see the banding now.

Could it be the vignette process that has caused this?

It could well be Adrian as it only looks to be effecting the darkest shadows. I'll try applying it in PS instead of Lightroom and see if that makes a difference. It's quite a large JPEG so huge reduction in file size shouldn't be an issue.

Not for me I'm afraid. This look seems to have been very in vogue in some circles for the last couple of years, where everyone tries to squash their histogram into the middle 75% of the grayscale. Maybe I'm the odd one out but I just don't get it.

Sorry, that probably isn't very constructive!

Thanks for the feedback Tom. It was never going to be to everyones taste ;)

I don't mind the style at all and I think that it works well with that particular image. My own personal opinion, and it's something that I've been guilty of, is that the clouds look so very dark that you instantly think it's been processed rather than thinking wow what a capture. I would say that there is too much light in the scene to convey gathering storm clouds given how dense the clouds are. Does that make sense?

I don't mind the style at all and I think that it works well with that particular image. My own personal opinion, and it's something that I've been guilty of, is that the clouds look so very dark that you instantly think it's been processed rather than thinking wow what a capture. I would say that there is too much light in the scene to convey gathering storm clouds given how dense the clouds are. Does that make sense?

Makes prefect sense Michael - I think it's beacuse I've been too heavy handed with the vignette tbh, if I back that off further into the corners that might halp a little.

I think it works pretty well Danny.

Thanks (y)

My initial thought was that it lacks contrast, but the more i look at it, especially the larger version, the more I like it.

Cheers.

Yeah the original on Flickr is a bit better - loses a bit of the detail in the rocks and FG when viewed smaller.

Back