New email client recommendation

Edit My Images
Yes
We've recently upgraded to BT HUB6 and whilst this went fairly painlessly I've discovered that it doesn't play nicely with Windows Live Mail. I now need to find a new client - preferably at low cost please and would appreciate recommendations please. Currently using Windows 8.1 as the OS

It will only be used for my OH'S email address and as she's even less techy than me would appreciate something that replicates the look and feel of Live Mail. We don't need any whizzy calendar functionality or complex contacts etc just something for her to send and receive emails.

My initial quick research suggests eM client might be suitable but happy to tap into the collective wisdom on here.

I would also appreciate advice on how to back up / move her current emails to the new client please.

All advice appreciated

I recently looked at this as I built a new PC and wanted to move on from Office 2010. The three I settled on for a closer look were Thunderbird, eMclient and Mailbird. eMclient was able to import my Outlook file but there was then no way to move the imported folders into the main inbox. Mailbird couldn't import the Outlook file and Thunderbird can only do it if it's on the same PC as a working Outlook installation. I gave up and spent money on an Office 2016 licence......
I do still use Thunderbird and my wife seems to be successfully fumbling her way round it on her new laptop.
If you look under File in Live Mail there may be an option for Import/Export or similar and this should let you export the current message base in a form that can be digested by whichever client you choose.

From what you describe, is it worth having a mail client? Why not just go with a gmail account?

Thanks for sharing. Its always good to get real world experience. I think I'll download a couple to try before probably stumping up like you did !!!
I recently looked at this as I built a new PC and wanted to move on from Office 2010. The three I settled on for a closer look were Thunderbird, eMclient and Mailbird. eMclient was able to import my Outlook file but there was then no way to move the imported folders into the main inbox. Mailbird couldn't import the Outlook file and Thunderbird can only do it if it's on the same PC as a working Outlook installation. I gave up and spent money on an Office 2016 licence......
I do still use Thunderbird and my wife seems to be successfully fumbling her way round it on her new laptop.
If you look under File in Live Mail there may be an option for Import/Export or similar and this should let you export the current message base in a form that can be digested by whichever client you choose.

From what you describe, is it worth having a mail client? Why not just go with a gmail account?
I do have both a gmail and hotmail account. Its for my OH who has finally become comfortable with Live Mail and her email address so I don't want to go through lots of retraining and explanations !!

I've been using eMClient for a few years now with no problems whatsoever. My main reason for using it was that it's one of the few that allow offline folders. It also syncs up with my Google Calendar and I think it can sync with Live calendar as well. It can import from Outlook, Outlook Express, Live Mail, Thunderbird, and The Bat. It can export to .eml, .vcf, and .ics. It's functional and plain-looking, but it gets the job done.

Are we talking software or email service?

As your ISP should really not have an impact on what mail software works, they'll all use standard set of network protocols. Unless bt are doing something stupid with the routing to ms servers.

Are we talking software or email service?

As your ISP should really not have an impact on what mail software works, they'll all use standard set of network protocols. Unless bt are doing something stupid with the routing to ms servers.
Software. I have just installed eM client and moving the old emails across was a breeze. Hopefully won't see any further problems

Thanks to everyone for the advice

Thunderbird. No more discussion needed.

Why not just go with a gmail account?

I'd be very glad to move away from one. Maybe one day I will get there. I don't feel comfortable letting google into my daily personal and business life, having my info traded, and my social score rated for some future carrot and stick dystopia. Maybe even Yandex is better choice, since as we know we have little to be afraid of Putin over here.

Been using eM Client for a while now for many email accounts and it's been exceptionally stable and easy to use. Although I still slightly prefer the UI of Outlook, the search and indexing failures made it a proper pain.

Back