New Epson AIO printers.....

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

I have posted here before about a site I get updates about and there is new article that might be of interest to others here at TP

Epson’s NEW EcoTank Printers – Things Are About to Change – PhotoPXL

New A4 and A3 printers 6 colour printers with bulk refillable tanks and apparently the set it comes with are standard(?) full retail bottles.

As it stands not the price looks a bit rich for me, though I have a steady pile of Canon carts from my 5 colour printer so I have spent some money of carts in the past approx 2 years, so the Epson price may not be as expensive as it at first appears.

The author of the above site & article is guy who seems to know his stuff, so it will interesting to see what he thinks of the A3 version he now has?

Reactions: Sky
Hmm, now one of those I might be tempted by. I've resisted the temptation to buy a new colour printer for the last few years, but could be tempted by one of these if they prove worthy.

I've lost count of the amount of printers I've bought over the last thirty years; each one always ending up costing far more in the long run than was ever predicted.

I'll give it a few months to see how the reviews hold up once these are out there and if the results are good will probably get myself one.

I have had a look back at my ink buying and the Canon TS8250 cost

As I recall I think I paid £119.00 for the printer

Since February 2020 I have bought £228.78 worth(?) of inks ~ this being a mixture of multi packs of the standard 3.2ml and the XXL ones @ 11.7ml. NB this figure includes my most recent purchase still yet to be opened!

A whopping total of £347.70 o_O

That does put the new Epson ones into context.....

The A4 one at £649.00
Each refill bottle of 70ml costs £15.99 (NB the single XXL Canon ones of 11.7ml capacity cost approx £15.99......depending on source)

With the Epson claim of 2300 photos (A4 ?) per bottle.........................a no brainer? And one reason I hesitate to print many photos on the Canon is the high cost per print!

Oh, I note that the Epson has a replaceable "Ink Maintenance tank" at £21.99. The main reason I have scrapped apparently still pristine inkjet printers in the past is because of 'full' ink waste tanks that are not user replaceable. So an ECO tank printer starts to make one huge amount of sense :) :thinking:

So an ECO tank printer starts to make one huge amount of sense :) :thinking:

Of course. Any consumer could see that, but that would get in the way of profit. I hate to think how many millions billions have been made on filling landfill sites with plastic.

Of course. Any consumer could see that, but that would get in the way of profit. I hate to think how many millions billions have been made on filling landfill sites with plastic.

The trouble is that there is now an industry 'vested' interest in selling (for more than the price of gold) inkjet ink in tiny quantities for silly sums of money..........a bit like the printer version of TK Maxx ~ sell cheap & apparently cheap to keep the customer coming back like a junkie.

As it stands now when my current supply of Canon inks get to re-order point I may have to give very serious consideration to whether to relegate that printer to lower usage jobs and (maybe?) get the Epson ECO tank, if the reviews show it in a good light. It might even encourage me to print more of my images myself :D

I've not printed more than about fifty photos in several years now. The main reason being the crazy cost of doing so.

Although I don't particularly want the scanner part of it (unless it's super fast), the cheaper cost of printing may take me back to it - I do miss seeing them in print.

I've not printed more than about fifty photos in several years now. The main reason being the crazy cost of doing so.

Although I don't particularly want the scanner part of it (unless it's super fast), the cheaper cost of printing may take me back to it - I do miss seeing them in print.

The scanner on our Canon has come in very useful for document/letter scanning.... it is OK'ish speed of scan wise but has certainly made a few correspondence requirements oh so much easier in the past many months :)

FWIW

@Sky

Trevor

I thought these might interest you ;)

Keith Cooper of Northlight Images has been doing his testing of the ET-8550 A3+ version and for some questions I had about its size he was very helpful

Setup
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVIPiDuIPlM

Borderless printing
Using the Epson ET-8550 ecotank printer. Making an A3+ 13"x19" borderless photo print - YouTube

Panoramic printing
Epson ET-8550 panoramic print making. Producing a 13" x 800mm wide photo print - YouTube

B&W printing
Epson EcoTank ET-8550 A3+ black and white fine art prints. Paper options and print settings - YouTube

And further to come over time :)

PS plus all being the the Kevin Raber (PhotoPXL) review will not be too long in coming :thinking:

Thanks, I appreciate that. Now I'm even more tempted . . .

Been following Keith's videos on this. If only it was 16" instead of 13"...

Currently, the price is £779.00 across the board. Tempted as I am, I think I'll wait until it's not 'the latest' any more and wait for prices to come down a bit. As at the moment, I think it is a little overpriced. I know it's going to be a lot cheaper to run, but I'd still have to do a lot of printing to justify the outlay and considering it will just be for my benefit, it would be a little extravagant.

Currently, the price is £779.00 across the board. Tempted as I am, I think I'll wait until it's not 'the latest' any more and wait for prices to come down a bit. As at the moment, I think it is a little overpriced. I know it's going to be a lot cheaper to run, but I'd still have to do a lot of printing to justify the outlay and considering it will just be for my benefit, it would be a little extravagant.

I am in no particular hurry..... though being sold with the 3year Warranty Extension which normally charge a marked amount for!

In the meantime I will printing a tad more photos on my TS8250 including up to what will fit on A4 papers. But as I said earlier in the thread I would like to print larger as needed and want to stop buying the 'gold price' tiny volume cartridges on my next printer.

If I was to limit myself to A4 the aforementioned Canon G650 looks more logical a choice based on price alone when compared to the Epson ET-8500 A4 size version!

But the crunch will come when I need more TS8250 carts 'soon'?

Last edited:
I'd definitely go for the A3+ version.

TBH, I hadn't noticed or considered the warranty - that's generous.

I am hoping that the TS8250 and any unused carts will have a resale value.........to offset the new printer cost a bit.......though on the face of it limited geographically as I doubt it will travel well in transit. So local sales only :thinking:

@Sky Trevor

Just a heads up..................Keith has posted a couple.

One about printing on a canvas and the next I have added below about more 'general' printing that is very relevant to those (like me) that want to produce the very best the printer can achieve.

Epson ET-8550 photo prints. Better basic photo prints. Incl. use of double sided paper photo books - YouTube

PS because I want to get to grips with printing more photos ~ before I jump and buy an ET-8550 ~ on my Canon TS8250 in the meantime I have bought a sample pack of A4 Canon Pro papers (3 types) and also added to the carts.

Using Canon Inks with specific Canon papers should get me as close as possible the best the TS can produce without using 'a n other' paper and getting the printer & paper profiled. (NB as Keith emphasises in the above (and other) video.

Last edited:
I have been waiting for the review updates..................though fairly convinced it was a good purchase, especially as JL had it for £729 but just looked again and they have increased it to £779 ~ drat :(

I suppose I was hoping that they would hold the initial price until I was "ready" c'est la vie :LOL:

The A3 version is now down to £700.30 on Amazon, with the A4 version at £609.60.

I'm almost tempted, but I think I'll force myself to wait a few more months yet. Especially as I still have ink to use up in my old one . . .

The A3 version is now down to £700.30 on Amazon, with the A4 version at £609.60.

I'm almost tempted, but I think I'll force myself to wait a few more months yet. Especially as I still have ink to use up in my old one . . .
Is that sold & fulfilled by Amazon?

Why do I say that......well if bought from an Epson approved retailer you can register for the free Epson 3 year warranty extension.

PS I am continuing to watch stocks and prices........for when I can make up my mind :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Back