New filter system

Name
Tilly
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys
I've started doing more landscape photography and have been looking at getting a square filter setup rather than the screw on type. I'm just looking for some advice really on what people think I should be looking at. I will be using a can 1100d and current the 18-55mm stm lens and I'm looking at getting the canon 10-18mm stm lens in the future.
Thanks guys

I used to have the Lee filter holder system and recently sold it all in favour of the Nisi one. The latter has a polariser that is possible to actually turn without me losing my sanity. It's more expensive because the polariser and three adapter rings come with the set, but it's cheaper than buying the Lee filter holder + polariser + filter rings. You'd have to buy a 57mm step ring for your 18-55, but the 67mm (for your 10-18) is included. The downside of the Nisi system is that the polariser is kinda permanently attached (you can remove it but it's a pain). As someone who uses the polariser quite a bit, this works better for me.

In terms of actual filters, all my Lee filters (grads & stoppers) give me a colour caste that needs removing/dealing with in PP which I'm really disappointed with. The grads are also plastic (resin?) which - considering their price - was also disappointing. The Nisi filters have had some good reviews, and I was planning to get rid of the Lee stuff and buy Nisi glass ones when I have the money/time/inclination.

Last edited:
Slight thread de-rail :-

The 10-18 is superb value for money and a cracking little very light lens - buy one as soon as upon can afford it

One small downfall with my screw on filters (with step ring) is that there is a little vignetting at the wider end but it's a small price to pay

Thanks for the help guys.
Slight thread de-rail :-

The 10-18 is superb value for money and a cracking little very light lens - buy one as soon as upon can afford it
I'll be buying the lens when I've saved some money, it's been an expensive month.

I've been looking at the Cokin BP-400 P series filter holder, has anyone had any experience with this holder?

If you are going 10mm on APS-c I think you will need 100mm filters to avoid vignetting....... 18mm you will get away with 85mm filters.

That's really what you need to decide first before you go either way. 85mm is a cheaper set up (& can be a very cheap set up) 100mm is more expensive.

You can go the 85mm route for less than the cost of a family takeaway night!! You can also mix & match a lot of kit now & get cheaper adapter rings which will take the Lee holders etc

Thanks for the advice Lee, I thought that might be the case that's why I asked the question. I think I'm gonna have to go out and shot some more at 18mm to see if I need to go wider at the moment as the price difference between the 85mm and 100mm is quite a lot

Back