New firmware for Canon 5D Mk IV

Playing it safe maybe? Protection from future class action lawsuits maybe. Ensuring that every camera works in the same way. I honestly don't know. :)

Regards.

But charging the customer to play it safe when they may not have the old heatsink.... if true.

I think it's only in hotter climates the heatsink is needed but I'll find out once I do the update [emoji6]

Why would they not have build and release all 5d4 on day one with the same heatsink?

Design flaw, if you want to shoot Log.

Exactly, that's why I mentioned something similar to a recall.

But recall generally reserves for breaking a camera, like oils landing in the sensor, light leaks, as opposed to requiring hardware for more features.

It doesn't stop you not having the firmware to take the same photos, it only stop you to shoot Log. Is it cheeky? absolutely. Does it bother me, not one bit.

If I were to shoot log and need to and it is work, £100 a drop in the ocean, compared to say changing your system, buying a new body for just for this feature from another camera. I don't know why people complaining about it, those do complain seems to never shoot video, never mind Log.

Serious question, who shoots Log in here?

Design flaw, if you want to shoot Log.

But recall generally reserves for breaking a camera, like oils landing in the sensor, light leaks, as opposed to requiring hardware for more features.

It doesn't stop you not having the firmware to take the same photos, it only stop you to shoot Log. Is it cheeky? absolutely. Does it bother me, not one bit.

If I were to shoot log and need to and it is work, £100 a drop in the ocean, compared to say changing your system, buying a new body for just for this feature from another camera. I don't know why people complaining about it, those do complain seems to never shoot video, never mind Log.

Serious question, who shoots Log in here?

It wouldn't bother you. Like you said you don't shoot log.

So big if the rumor is true (who knows) there was a silent design change, then charging the customer for it, but they don't just make the client with the old heatsink pay, they also make people with the up to date heatsink pay so they don't upset the apple cart.

It wouldn't bother you. Like you said you don't shoot log.

So big if the rumor is true there was a silent design change, then charging the customer for it, but they don't just make the client with the old heatsink pay, they also make people with the up to date heatsink pay so they don't upset the apple cart.

Do you shoot log?

Do you shoot log?

I shoot in the flattest profile I can. If I still had log I most definitely would use it, and because this isn't a big video forum doesn't mean that anybody else doesn't use it. It's a massive feature offered for free on a lot of cheaper cameras along with h264 and h265 on some, if the rumour is true that's even more cheeky.

You can see the importance of Raw but not log. Surprising.

Look at Fujis and Olympus immense updates, do they ever charge, no. That's excellent CS. I really hope this doesn't become a trend.

Last edited:
I shoot in the flattest profile I can. If I still had log I most definitely would use it, and because this isn't a big video forum doesn't mean that anybody else doesn't use it. It's a massive feature offered for free on a lot of cheaper cameras along with h264 and h265 on some, if the rumour is true that's even more cheeky.

You can see the importance of Raw but not log. Surprising.

I can see the importance of it just fine, I'm wondering why you are so upset about something that people ask for, canon now offers. It's $100, not exactly a huge hurdle to overcome for a work expense and if you have to have it, pay it and move on.

If you don't use it, don't get upset over it, keep your camera as it is, if you shoot other system then just laugh at Canon.

I've said it in my original post a few days ago, if the 5D4 didn't have RAW and they offer it for $100, I'd snap their hands off and pay it and laugh.

Last edited:
I can see the importance of it just fine, I'm wondering why you are so upset about something that people ask for, canon now offers. It's $100, not exactly a huge hurdle to overcome for a work expense and if you have to have it, pay it and move on.

If you don't use it, don't get upset over it, keep your camera as it is, if you shoot other system then just laugh at Canon.

I'm not upset, people like you are quoting me and I'm merely responding. Like I said, I just hope this doesn't become a trend because other manufacturers offer much bigger updates for free. Do you think only pros use log like only working pros use raw?

If you don't find what's rumoured a strange way of doing things that's fine with me, youre entitled to your opinion, just like I am.

I'm sure that most people using video would've been much happier with a free update and heatsink replace if required. But none of us actually know if that's even true. Could be total BS.

Last edited:
It could be an issue for resale, were I to go back to Canon and wanted that camera and had the choice of two similar second hand ones at the same price, one with this and the other without, even though I'd probably never use it I know which I'd choose

Back