New flash, help me make up my mind.

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, I'll try to explain this as best I can.
I have a YN467 flash unit and a RF-602 trigger set (1 transmitter, 1 receiver) I'm after a new flash unit, not to replace my YN467 but to complement it.
I can't afford the SB800/SB900s from Nikon so I've been looking at the alternatives from Yongnuo, Triopo, Meike etc.

If I bought another RF-602 I could have 2 off camera manual flash units and use the new flash as my TTL on camera flash when required.
Or if I bought a 560III I could do away with the extra RF-602 still use my 467 as my TTL flash and also have 2 off camera manual flashes when used together.

I guess the only way to have TTL on camera and manual off camera flash is to use the on camera flash to trigger the off camera flash doing away with triggers or buy YN622s (more cost but on and off camera TTL???).

The next question is which combination is the best to have with YN467 and will give me most features -
YN565EX
YN568EX
MK900
Triopo TR981
Gloxy GXF990
Or something else. I'm leaning towards the YN565EX or YN568EX (will I use HSS???)

I don't use flash to often, not up to now anyway, but I want to keep my options open for future use. I like the idea of using a remote flash in a dance hall to silhouette the dancers.

I know this is a difficult one but all opinions appreciated.

If i were in your shoes then I'd probably lean towards the YN568EX and another YN602 unit for now. The reason is that then you would have 2xTTL flashes. The 467 is an older model and the 568 outperforms it in every way. The 602's are inexpensive.

In time if/when you want to then you can upgrade to YN622's but plenty of people never use TTL for OCF work. I personally prefer manual but I have YN622's so I can set up groups.

I've got both the YN565, 568 and I also owned the Triopo 980 for a bit back when my 565 died. I actually really liked the Triopo. It was effective and cheap enough that I wasn't in fear of dropping it. However I'd stick to Yongnuo for now in case you ever decide to get the 622's so ensure maximum compatibility.

If you are on a budget then go with the cheapest TTL flash you can, like the TR980 and pair it with another 602. HSS is a nice to have but not really essential. I rarely use it.

If i were in your shoes then I'd probably lean towards the YN568EX and another YN602 unit for now. The reason is that then you would have 2xTTL flashes. The 467 is an older model and the 568 outperforms it in every way. The 602's are inexpensive.

In time if/when you want to then you can upgrade to YN622's but plenty of people never use TTL for OCF work. I personally prefer manual but I have YN622's so I can set up groups.

I've got both the YN565, 568 and I also owned the Triopo 980 for a bit back when my 565 died. I actually really liked the Triopo. It was effective and cheap enough that I wasn't in fear of dropping it. However I'd stick to Yongnuo for now in case you ever decide to get the 622's so ensure maximum compatibility.

If you are on a budget then go with the cheapest TTL flash you can, like the TR980 and pair it with another 602. HSS is a nice to have but not really essential. I rarely use it.

Thanks for the advice.

I've just bought a YN565EX going off the back of this thread thanks for the advice lads! I'll let you know how my first ever studio shoot goes soon!

Back