New flashgun for Nikon

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

I want to get a flashgun as i understand the benefits but im not too sure what to get...

I have a budget of around £150 so i know i won't get high end kit but i do want the best (features/quality) for the budget....

At the moment I have a Nikon D50 but I intend to upgrade the body at some point (sticking with Nikon) so i do want it to work with that aswell if possible.

Can you tell me what the important features I should be looking for that sits in my budget.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Trevor

you should be able to find a secondhand Nikon SB-600 for around £150, unless it's been used professionally it probably won't have seen much use so should be OK, i've had a really battered SB-800 in the past that worked fine but these go for £250+ in these inflated times.

thanks guys...

Question....I see lots of recomendations for the SB-600. What makes this flash worthy of this....Is it power or more functions...

The reason I ask is that I really dont know what to look for in features...I want the flash to start bouncing light and using a difuser but after that im sure I will want to explore more creative techniques...is the SB-600 the way to go on this?

I read lots of things about wireless sync/power rating/metering ect but at the moment I find this a bit overwhelming which is why I think having the flash will help me understand better.

Lots of newbe questions but we all got to start somewhere...right?

Simply Electronics have them at £185 new :shrug:

Yes but they are all grey market. Which means you end up without Nikon support. And who knows how long Simplyelectronics.net will be there in these times...

thanks guys...

Question....I see lots of recomendations for the SB-600. What makes this flash worthy of this....Is it power or more functions...

The reason I ask is that I really dont know what to look for in features...I want the flash to start bouncing light and using a difuser but after that im sure I will want to explore more creative techniques...is the SB-600 the way to go on this?

I read lots of things about wireless sync/power rating/metering ect but at the moment I find this a bit overwhelming which is why I think having the flash will help me understand better.

Lots of newbe questions but we all got to start somewhere...right?

SB-600 will be an ideal for you to get started. It is in no way simple flash and does a lot of things quite well. I'd recommend you start with it and as you will learn it and its limits and feel you need something better - then it will be time to move to SB-800 or 900.

SB-600 will be an ideal for you to get started. It is in no way simple flash and does a lot of things quite well. I'd recommend you start with it and as you will learn it and its limits and feel you need something better - then it will be time to move to SB-800 or 900.

I suppose that sums up what i was asking quite nicely....i need a flash that is good to learn with so has some features but nothing to overwelming...

Looks like the sb-600 is the one...

Thanks for the replies...

I got an SB-600 around £160 new from Ebay not too long ago, just got to keep your eyes peeled.

(Of course on top of that you'll end up wanting a stofen.. another tenner, then you'll want some gels and some ball bungees.. about fifteen quid.. and next thing you know you're hooked and trying to weigh up buying a stand and soft box and wireless triggers and..)

Back