New gear for a Nikon D3100?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, and Merry Christmas :)

With the day now over, I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and I think I fancy some new gear for my camera.

I have about £200 to spend, but I just don't know what to get. I've so far looked at the cokin P series and Z-pro series filters (the P series are looking thr better option at the moment, cost wise), with the intention of getting maybe a few ND grad filters. Are screw in ND filters better for an overall scene, with the drop in cokin style being better for gradients?

I have also been looking at a couple of lenses; namely the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D AF and the Nikon AF-S 35mm f1.8 G DX.

I already have the kit 18-55 lens, and a Tamron 70-300. I'm not really sure what I'm after. Something good for landscapes would be good...but so would something that's good in low light.

What would you reccommend I buy? Feel free to offer other suggestions!

Thanks

Chris

The 50mm AF-D will not auto focus on your camera, you need to go for the AF-S version which will set you back nearly £200.

Personally I much prefer 35mm on a crop body and my personal opinion is that the next lens anyone should get for their crop body cameras is the AF-S 35mm, it really is a cracking lens.

The AF-S 50mm f/1.8G is a great lens but on a DX body it's the equivalent of a 75mm lens. Going by the photos on your Flickr stream, I agree with Nawty that the 35mm f/1.8G would probably suit you better.

Back