new idea for walking with camcorder

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
P1060296.JPG

I had a thought about how to keep a camcorder steady while walking without a gimbal/steadycam attached. In the above photo I fully loaded my Panasonic HC-x1500 . So I added a double arm usually to hold 2 cameras on a tripod and then a pistol grip and a CN-160 LED light. To stop the arm from swinging about I stuck a bit of 3M pad to the bottom of the camera. as an alternative, I have not tried yet, is having it all on the other side. that is the next exciting part to try ;). The reason why put it all on this side is so I can still slide my hand into the camera strap and being right handed , and keep a better watch on the screen as well. See is got brains.
To be fair it works better without the top handle or LED but wanted to show the whole rig and not part of. Still need a little more practise walking with it . Doing this means no having to balance up a gimbal /steadycam although if set up properly would br the better option. As everything cost comes into play . The arm is only £14 I already had the handle grip about £10 and the LED light, so cost was down to a minimum. That arm is 8 inches long to clear the screen

P1060297.JPG
stripped down
No need to play about taking off a gimbal to put on a tripod so very very quick change from tripod to handheld. camcorder top handle removed

Well at least it is an idea

Last edited:
Good idea, do you hold the top handle in one hand and the new handle in another?
It might be worth adding a camera strap to the camera with that put around your neck and some pressure put on the strap you'll have 3 points of contact which will help make it less likely to move around.

Scott
I already tried a camera strap but unlike on a camera having a strap only shows up the unbalancewhen I fitted it to the amcorder screw hole on the top ( covered by a small square home made stopper in the photos).Having that rig as it is definatey makes a huge difference to keeping everything steady

Last edited:
Back