New Imac

The only machine that is really over priced is the Mac pro and when it was launched it was actually cheap in comparison to available xeon based workstations. When I bought my mac pro quad xeon machine it cost £1699 then price at scan for the processors alone was £1200 then add on a decent 1kw psu, motherboard etc and you couldn't build one for less. Alas now the pro has become very expensive. The imac is a niche product, it is a powerful yet stylish machine which is what a lot of people want. If you look at my thread about my current build you can see just how extreme some people can go but we are not the normal buyer. If you compare laptop prices the macbook air compares very well to direct alternative models as does the Macbook pro. When you get to the top laptops there isn't really any comparison in the Windows world that I am aware of. My laptop is a retina 15" pro with 16gb ram, quad i7 processor cores, 512gb fast ssd and a display 2800x1800ish. It was expensive but these isn't really a windows equivalent. Most hyper powerful windows laptops are poorly built energy supping plastic monstrosities in comparison.

Yes on paper you can do better for less but sometimes the better specced machine isn't what people want with cables running between boxes etc rather than one Monroe sized monitor containing everything.

You would be better making your comparison against the Mac pro and to be honest at the moment there isn't much of a comparison!

The only machine that is really over priced is the Mac pro and when it was launched it was actually cheap in comparison to available xeon based workstations.

You're right. That's the problem with Mac Pros though, the fact that they use Xeon processors. Absolutely zero advantage in a desktop environment. As a single user, they're slower, and more expensive, and require ECC memory, which again, is utterly useless in a single user desktop environment.

That's another discussion though.

Back