New imac

Hiya,

I've just had delivered today, the new 5K retina 27" iMac. 4GHz i7 processor, 16GB RAM (will upgrade to 32GB down the line), 256GB flash storage, with the 2GB R9 M395 graphics. I've got a 256GB Thunderbolt SSD external drive, and a 2TB USB 3 external HDD drive.

The screen is fantastic - really really nice. The write/read speeds with the flash memory are amazing. I don't think I needed the upgraded 4GB graphics. I'm going to keep the Lightroom catalogue etc on the external SSD drive. 'Current' photo projects/images to be edited will be stored on the internal flash, and moved across to the external SSD drive or 2TB HDD when completed.

Documents/Music etc on the 2TB external HDD, along with the TimeMachine backup (drive is partitioned into 2 1TB)

I upgraded from a 2.3 i7 Ghz Late 2012 MacMini with a 23" monitor - so obviously one heck of a leap forward.

Cheers,
Shane :)

27"
i7 4GHz CPU
8Gb ram ( to be upgraded to 32gb)
512Gb SSD
Upgraded GPU M395X 4Gb

If lightrooms not faster on this, I give up.

Might be interested in the 8gb RAM if you decide to upgrade it - let me know if you do decide to upgrade and want to sell it on and I'll pop a wanted ad up on here :)

I take it the the screen on these 5K iMacs still needs calibrating?

Mine arrived today, 27inch, i7 4Ghz, 256SSD, 2GB GPU, 24GB Ram (added an extra 16GB Crucial Ram)

Similar to Shane , the screen is absolutely stunning, and the read/write speeds with the SSD are amazing, I'm getting over double the read/write speeds than I was getting on a 256GB Samsung EVO 850 on my old machine (i7-3930)

Ssscreen-Shot-2015-10-26-at-20.22.40.jpg

Mine arrived today, 27inch, i7 4Ghz, 256SSD, 2GB GPU, 24GB Ram (added an extra 16GB Crucial Ram)

Similar to Shane , the screen is absolutely stunning, and the read/write speeds with the SSD are amazing, I'm getting over double the read/write speeds than I was getting on a 256GB Samsung EVO 850 on my old machine

Ooh that's interesting re the SSD, so it's a worthwhile upgrade over the hybrid drive ?

No issues with the extra memory working with the 8gb from Apple ?

Ooh that's interesting re the SSD, so it's a worthwhile upgrade over the hybrid drive ?

No issues with the extra memory working with the 8gb from Apple ?
I can't comment on SSD-V-Fusion drive as I've never used a Hybrid drive, and yes, no issues with the extra memory, a 5 minute job to fit them in the spare slots.

I would say so, HDD based systems, even hybrids seem sluggish once you've used an SSD.

Provided the memory is compatible, then it will work just fine.

Cheers Andy, certainly the way I'm thinking re the SSD...

I've been running mine for a couple of days, my thoughts: The screen does live upto the hype, it's a joy to work on, not only is there glorious colours & detail, but is so relaxing to the eye, and I'm finding I'm sitting further back from the screen that I did with my 30 inch Dell monitor, everything is so crisp & clear, especially web page text. OK, I can only compare the screen to a 30 inch Dell and a 24 inch (non Retina) Imac, but the screen is impressive.

It's also fast, working in Photoshop is as quick as my previous desktop (i7 3930 32 Gb Hackintosh), partly due (I think) to the blisteringly fast SSD I mentioned earlier.

The Imac returns a Geekbench score of 4560 for single core and 17566 for multi-core, which I'm more than happy with.

My only niggle, and same for previous, is the magic mouse, I've never been able to get away with Apple's mice (or trackpads), they look nice, but I think I will be going back to my old trusted Tecknet mouse.

My only niggle, and same for previous, is the magic mouse, I've never been able to get away with Apple's mice (or trackpads), they look nice, but I think I will be going back to my old trusted Tecknet mouse.

The irony that Microsoft make better mice than Apple has never been lost on me :). With any computer, the human interface devices should be whatever you are most comfortable with.

I'm completely opposite. Love both Magic Mouse and Trackpad. But then I know a mac user that can only use the orriginal Mac mouse

Last edited:
As widely predicted, new iMacs out today including a Retina 21.5" model (4K resolution). Also new keyboard, mouse and trackpad with built in batteries (and enhanced prices :( ).
It looks like the non-Retina display 27" iMac has been discontinued. Fusion drives are still not standard, but extra cost is down to £80.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-mac/imac

This also means that the previous generation models may be available at discounted prices in your nearest Apple store.

WHATEVER YOU DO - DON'T get a new 21.5" iMac. I have one I love, from 2011. I upgraded RAM from 4GB to 12GB after 2 years. I'm now thinking of going to 24GB RAM as I have bought Parallels to run Snow Leopard Server in, and it's hungry for RAM.

That preamble is just so I can warn you... you can't upgrade RAM on a recent 21.5" iMac! You have to specify your requirements when you order a new machine, and let's face it - how many of us can see into the future and know when we'll need more RAM?

I'm completely opposite. Love both Magic Mouse and Trackpad. But then I know a mac user that can only use the orriginal Mac mouse

The Magic Mouse is very very limited ... until you download the free Better Touch Tool software. Then it's truly useful.. and magic. :)

Hi guys new iMacs have just been announced! I'm looking at getting a 27" iMac 5K

Is there any benefit of a single SSD over the fusion drive setup?

Where is the best place to buy an iMac? I'll check the refurb store.

Also do you know if I could upgrade the RAM myself?

If you can afford it Jimmy get the biggest SSD variant you can, then use an external TB drive

I have the 3tb fusion and the apple side boots very fast, however I use boot camp for work, and it's dog slow as this is on the fusions old school spinning section... There are ways and means to boot camp on the SSD but I'm not an expert so I don't...

If I could reorder I'd get the 512 pic-e drive or SSD and not bother with fusion... But that's me

I have the 3tb fusion and the apple side boots very fast,

Thats good to hear...How about the apps etc ? are they as quick ?

If I could reorder I'd get the ... SSD and not bother with fusion

This is the way I'm thinking, I seem to remember last time I looked, the 256MB SSD was a no cost option and the 512MB was £160 extra

Yeah apps in Mac are fine, and if it's all you need then fusion will be ok. But for work I need loads of stuff and I NEED to play world of warships LOL and it's not really out for a,Mac yet wrappers a bit crap...

I'd go 512 or 1 TB and add that 8TB thunderbolt drive from western digital it's what I use its like lightning

Cheers I got the 512GB SSD in the end.

Mine arrived today, love it so far shame you can't adjust the height tho

I have the 3tb fusion and the apple side boots very fast, however I use boot camp for work, and it's dog slow as this is on the fusions old school spinning section... There are ways and means to boot camp on the SSD but I'm not an expert so I don't...

Could you use Parallels or VMware to run your windows install?

Cheers I got the 512GB SSD in the end.

Mine arrived today, love it so far shame you can't adjust the height tho
I've often wondered about that. It shouldn't be difficult to add an extender to the rear stand. However, my personal belief is that the iMac design has achieved a certain balance between computer and base - maybe if you interfered with that, the computer might topple over if you tilted the screen forward?

I've often wondered about that. It shouldn't be difficult to add an extender to the rear stand. However, my personal belief is that the iMac design has achieved a certain balance between computer and base - maybe if you interfered with that, the computer might topple over if you tilted the screen forward?

Good point.

Looks like it might have to get a higher desk or put some books until it!

I've got mine hooked up to a dell 27''

Good point.

Looks like it might have to get a higher desk or put some books until it!

I've got mine hooked up to a dell 27''

One of the less good things about the iMac is lack of height adjust. Put it next to a Thunderbolt display and the screens don't line up, which is ridiculous.
You used to be able to buy a VESA mount for the 27" machines and displays, but new iMacs have to be ordered with the VESA mount and cannot be converted.

edit: I did find a VESA adapter for the new machines, it clamps to the stand, so not quite so elegant as the official method.

Last edited:
Funny enough Andy I have both, but only really good for accessing and working, if I wanna game I need to boot into it...I found fusion more stable than parallels.

Funny enough Andy I have both, but only really good for accessing and working, if I wanna game I need to boot into it...I found fusion more stable than parallels.
You didn't mention gaming - that will always work better on a native boot :)

Can anyone link me to ram they bought to upgrade please?

LR is running very slow on my iMac :-(

Thanks Les, yes I'm in the UK Christopher

I placed an order last week through work for the new IMac 27'' 5k. Over the past week I've been in two minds if id made the right choice. By the sounds of it I have made the correct decision. The only downside to ordering through work is I don't get the choice to customise the machine.

Can I ask, how hard is it to upgrade the ram?

I placed an order last week through work for the new IMac 27'' 5k. Over the past week I've been in two minds if id made the right choice. By the sounds of it I have made the correct decision. The only downside to ordering through work is I don't get the choice to customise the machine.

Can I ask, how hard is it to upgrade the ram?
5 minute job

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201191

going back to this as nobody seems to have answered it..

all screens need calibrating, even the super expensive Eizo screens.

Thanks for the update Neil, may I ask what you have used to calibrate your iMac?

Am I right in thinking the max ram is x16GB (32GB)?

Thanks for the update Neil, may I ask what you have used to calibrate your iMac?

Am I right in thinking the max ram is x16GB (32GB)?
i dont have an iMac, although I do have a couple of Apple Cinema Displays (the old matte ones) on Windows 10 and use a Spyder 3 Pro.

the new 5k 27" says "8GB (two 4GB) of 1867MHz DDR3 memory; four SO-DIMM slots, user accessible

Configurable to 16GB or 32GB"

Thank you

Thanks for the link Les, looks like my next big buy will be upgrading the RAM.

I know it's a little off topic, but can anyone recommend a company that can replace the Pram battery and Clean and reapply the heat sink paste on a MacBook Pro 1,1 (2006) model?
Shouldnt be hard to do, pretty easy to disassemble following ifixit guides.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_15"_%28Non-Unibody%29

You can get the batteries online for around £5, they're just a CR2032 in a plastic sleeve.

Re-doing the thermal paste is pretty straightforward too, just follow the ifixit guide and don't use too much paste.

Back