New iMacs

Name
Zak
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at the New iMacs, i have been wondering if the upgrade to the quad core 27 in is much better than the base 27 in model. The Dual core is 3.06 GHZ when the quad is 2.66. Would it actually be faster? I'm a bit confused as the cores would imply yes but the speed would imply no.

Thanks in advance.

Quad core is faster even if the clock speed is lower, theoretically the more cores the more things can be done at a time.

Looking at the New iMacs, i have been wondering if the upgrade to the quad core 27 in is much better than the base 27 in model. The Dual core is 3.06 GHZ when the quad is 2.66. Would it actually be faster? I'm a bit confused as the cores would imply yes but the speed would imply no.

Thanks in advance.

The i7 processor can do more work per clock cycle, it IS faster.

For anyone looking at upgrading their memory. If you go from 2x2gb (4gb) to 4x2gb (8gb) Apple charge £160. The same upgrade from Crucial specifically for this model so guaranteed to work (and does not affect warranty) is around £69.

Whilst they state it does not affect warranty, if apple suspect that this memory caused issues or if a hard drive you put in yourself fails (even if this is because of something else in the mac) they won't honour the warranty. Just a warning.

Whilst they state it does not affect warranty, if apple suspect that this memory caused issues or if a hard drive you put in yourself fails (even if this is because of something else in the mac) they won't honour the warranty. Just a warning.

Most people just take non Apple stuff out before returning them :)

You can't change the HD in an iMac without voiding the warranty and it is a right pain to change the HD because of having to remove the LCD.....

Back